Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenny324410

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2018
I currently own a iPhone X and at launch last year thay were ment to be something special for celebrating 10 years off iPhone and I thought off my one as a investment like the very first iPhones trying to pick up a first gen iPhone and you will be playing though the nose for them but with the release off these once there nuthing special about the x and these new ones look like carbon copy’s off what was ment to be a special edition phone and I urge any one who got a x to not even bother to pick up this new one sorry Apple but it’s time to stick to ur word the X was ment to be a special edition phone and now yous have just ruind that

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
It’s not a special edition phone. It was the next iteration of the iPhone that specifically launched to tie in with the 10 year anniversary. They even bumped up the naming convention from 9 to 10 so it would fit. Nothing more.

Kenny324410

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2018
It’s not a special edition phone. It was the next iteration of the iPhone that specifically launched to tie in with the 10 year anniversary. They even bumped up the naming convention from 9 to 10 so it would fit. Nothing more.
Go back and watch the key note 2017 clearly states that this is a special edition phone for the 10 years off iPhones

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
I currently own a iPhone X and at launch last year thay were ment to be something special for celebrating 10 years off iPhone and I thought off my one as a investment like the very first iPhones trying to pick up a first gen iPhone and you will be playing though the nose for them but with the release off these once there nuthing special about the x and these new ones look like carbon copy’s off what was ment to be a special edition phone and I urge any one who got a x to not even bother to pick up this new one sorry Apple but it’s time to stick to ur word the X was ment to be a special edition phone and now yous have just ruind that

If the X was special edition then Apple would only limit it to a certain number of units or something. You just got bamboozled.

Reactions: Never mind

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018

wow. I literally could not understand a single word of what you wrote.

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
You're whining because a year later they came out with a very slightly updated version for the same price?

Reactions: Never mind
Apple, like anyone in business these days can't be trusted.Take everything that is said with a grain of salt. Work on your independent critical thinking skills, do your research, ignore the bias comments and rhetoric. Come to your own logical conclusions.

I'm a bit surprised though this year at their marketing naming convention. It's essentially designed to confuse the consumer. In my opinion, they have reached an all time low. Next year, when I do upgrade I will seriously look at the competition and evaluate why I should buy Apple.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Go back and watch the key note 2017 clearly states that this is a special edition phone for the 10 years off iPhones
But it was the future design of the iPhone going forward. They mentioned this a number of times. Yes the "X" was also to celebrate the 10th anniversary, but it was never meant to be a 'limited edition' for year 10 only.

I think you've misinterpreted things.

Kenny324410

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2018
You're whining because a year later they came out with a very slightly updated version for the same price?
No because literally the value off a so called 10 year anniversary phone that was ment to be special and just decreased in value because that just brought out a even high spec that looks the same
Rubbish. When the X was launched at the keynote they opened with “this is the future of the smartphone”.

And then want on to state how it was a 10 year anv
But it was the future design of the iPhone going forward. They mentioned this a number of times. Yes the "X" was also to celebrate the 10th anniversary, but it was never meant to be a 'limited edition' for year 10 only.

I think you've misinterpreted things.

It’s not the looks it’s the name should be iPhone 11 not X the X was Romen numerals for 10 as in 10 years off iPhones now thay just blatantly riped off X and just dropped any value thay may have 5 to 6 years down the line when people have all but throwing them away mean I had a first gen iPhone gatherd dust for 3 years in drawer and end up selling it to enverphone for £5 who would have thought now ur looking at £2k upwords for a unbox one and £25k for a boxed and sealed one

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
A phone is not an investment. (Yes I’m aware the original iPhone sells for a few thousand.)

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
It’s not the looks it’s the name should be iPhone 11 not X the X was Romen numerals for 10 as in 10 years off iPhones now thay just blatantly riped off X and just dropped any value thay may have 5 to 6 years down the line when people have all but throwing them away mean I had a first gen iPhone gatherd dust for 3 years in drawer and end up selling it to enverphone for £5 who would have thought now ur looking at £2k upwords for a unbox one and £25k for a boxed and sealed one

I'm not sure about this theory of yours, cobber.

The original iPhone is one thing...the "X" is an evolution. Don't think it was ever going to be as valuable a collectors item as you envision, whether it kept the "X" exclusively or not.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
You seem to be the only one who believed it was a one-off thing. Just because it was something special last year for the anniversary, doesn't mean it was something unique. Last year it was special. For the anniversary. This year it's last year's phone. I certainly never got that it was a limited run and I never saw any discussions along those lines.

As Ralfi said, I'm afraid you misunderstood what you heard last year.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Please explain what you mean by "special".

It was a step in a line of phones past, present, and future. Nothing more, nothing less.

This is the type of post that makes me skip over so many posts here and around the internet. One rumor gets whispered, and some people take off with it like it is the word of God.

Let's face it. The absolutely jaw dropping amazement at what is offered in the way of phones is long gone since the first iPhone was introduced 11 years ago. Every maker is trying to be different, but in the end, these devices all do generally the same thing...sadly that is run FaceBook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Really all that is left that could wow most of us anymore is the advent of the bendable screen phones, or the phones that will actually be a Physical/neural part of you. Beyond that, they are just portals for all of us to watch the same crap.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Where’s @boltjames to chime in on the luxurious premiumness of X?

Also how does he feel about xs max (a plus sized x) ? Now that it definitely exists and isn’t mythical anymore

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Where’s @boltjames to chime in on the luxurious premiumness of X?

Also how does he feel about xs max (a plus sized x) ? Now that it definitely exists and isn’t mythical anymore

Last year I felt that the X screen size was optimal and Apple wouldn't need to create a Plus sized version. Apparently they see the value in it. Must be a bunch of teens who would rather play Fortnite than try to find a girl.

But if we're going to go down memory lane, remember a year ago when people were saying the Notch was "ugly" and that the X was a "colossal failure" and that some Chinese investment "insider" was swearing that Apple was scrambling and was going to discontinue the X design and treat it as a one-and-done anniversary curiosity?

BWAHH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

The whole line is Notched! And the iPhone X is the best selling smartphone in the world! And with the XR, anyone still holding onto their iPhone 6's and 7's might as well be holding a CD player for as dated as it looks. Long live the iPhone X.

.Kevin.

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2015
Next year, when I do upgrade I will seriously look at the competition and evaluate why I should buy Apple.

Personally I take a serious look at all of my purchases and try to spend my money wisely.

You’ve been buying iPhones for some reason other than you feel they are the best value?

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
And with the XR, anyone still holding onto their iPhone 6's and 7's might as well be holding a CD player for as dated as it looks. Long live the iPhone X.

You had me up to this point...then you slammed people who own a 6 or 7. People love to put down other people who still like their 6 or 7 just to justify they have the latest and greatest iPhone. It’s that mentality of mine is better than yours that people need to quit saying but if it makes you feel better no one can change that mindset.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
Every year Tim Cook and company comes out on stage and says “we are so excited“ that makes me want to puke every time I hear it. Everybody with just a little bit of common sense knows there’s is just a little bit more that Apple can do to a phone and nothing more each and every year. Nothing really special. There will be no such thing as a special anniversary phone.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Your post was quite difficult to read due to misspelled words and the lack of punctuation. I feel that you would attract a larger number of replies if you include punctuation and proper spelling in your posts.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
What? I would’ve felt ripped off if they DID significantly upgrade it this year.

25 Megapixel front facing camera

No notch

3D hologram FaceTime

LOL

I’m GLAD my X is still relevant

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I know I'm responding to a bit of an old post, but acknowledging that it was the 10th anniversary of the iPhone is not the same as saying that the X is a special one-of-a-kind edition. On the contrary, Cook suggested that it represented the future of iPhones. You misinterpreted what was said, perhaps because it's what you wanted to hear. If you bought the phone because you thought it would be one-of-a-kind, that was your mistake. Most people weren't surprised that it was followed up with a refined but near identical "s" version. Apple doesn't put all that R&D into a new design just to use it for one model. That's just common sense.

Reactions: MrGuder
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.