Feeler: 1ghz Titanium POwerbook, great condition

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
1,892
2
Walt Disney Animation Studios
Just wondering what the market is for my laptop nowadays. It's in very good condition but I just need more horsepower since I am an animator, and with the Intel updates around the bend...

1ghz Titanium
60gb HD
1gb ram
Airport Card installed
Tiger Installed

-------
Photoshop CS
Flash MX Pro
Maya 7.0
 

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
1,363
0
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
Somewhat OT to the original poster.
I have the exact same PB, and as a musician dealing with recording, audio editing and real-time manipulations of audio, I was feeling like you, like i needed a kick in the butt in processor power. I decided to keep my PB, upgrade the HD to an 100gb 5400rpm model and maxed the RAM out. The performance difference was pretty impressive for the money spent. I am hoping this will tide me over until the rev b Intel PB, hopefully with the 64bit dual core processor. Besides, have the programs that you use already been compiled with universal binaries, or do you plan on using rosetta in the meanwhile?

Just my opinion, but hold onto it if you can until rev b., as with the impending release of the Intel PB will probably have a negative affect on the resale price of your current PB. Sorry for not being much help with the price on your PB, but hopefully my opinion helped anyways.

Good luck
 

mbl42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2005
611
0
I would buy just the AirPort card. I could do local pickup. :)

PowerMax.com can give you quotes, but they're usually not very accurate. eBay is the best place to look.
 

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
1,892
2
Walt Disney Animation Studios
faintember said:
I am hoping this will tide me over until the rev b Intel PB, hopefully with the 64bit dual core processor. Besides, have the programs that you use already been compiled with universal binaries, or do you plan on using rosetta in the meanwhile?

Just my opinion, but hold onto it if you can until rev b., as with the impending release of the Intel PB will probably have a negative affect on the resale price of your current PB. Sorry for not being much help with the price on your PB, but hopefully my opinion helped anyways.

Good luck
I appreciate your reply, but with 3D animation it's all about the processor and video card speed. Audio vs video is no comparison. We've been running tests at work, and even our 3.4 ghz P4's arent getting realtime playback in most Maya scenes. Im satisfied with 17-18fps using Maya, but my laptop eeks out a miserable 3-4 fps.

I have a G5 at home and it beats the pants off my laptop, so I was hoping just to get it up to speed with it. (I hope a 2ghz Powerbook is on-par with my 2ghz G5) I have a train commute every morning, and would love to animate instead of being pigeonholed into modeling only.

Umm, as far as I know they havent been converted to universal binaries. Also, I have the ram maxed out (1gb)

And thanks for the iPod offer, but I already have 2! (one is the new iPod Video!)

Oh, and by the way, eBay was useless. There was one post for a 1ghz Powerbook, and the rest were the 667, 400 and 500. The 1ghz was asking 1250, which seems reasonable. However, it's funny to note that they had a 3.4 ghz P4 Powerbook for sale running Windows XP! Neato! (sarcasm)
 

istonedu321

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2005
54
0
paoli Pa
i might be interested in buying this if the price is right. any idea what your asking price is. trying no to spend more than 700
 

istonedu321

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2005
54
0
paoli Pa
ive seen multiple on ebay going for 700 and even less. one with 700 that came with multiple programs and a seperate external disk drive.
 

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
1,304
0
Cincinnati, OH
MacTruck said:
I got $1600 for mine only a few months ago on ebay. Those tibooks are hot hot hot. No pun intended.
You are lucky, I have been trying to sell mine and no one was really interested in it for some reason...
 

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
1,242
0
One Endless Loop
ipacmm said:
You are lucky, I have been trying to sell mine and no one was really interested in it for some reason...
I had great pics. Thats key I think. Also I had the box and packing material, another key factor.
 

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
1,892
2
Walt Disney Animation Studios
Hey guys! Sorry, I didnt realize this thread was still alive.

I'm still considering selling it if I can get a decent price for it, and if I can convince the wife to let me buy a new one. One caveat, I wont sell it until I have a replacement since I use it quite a bit.

The Powerbook has Photoshop CS on it, Maya 7.0, Flash MX Pro, and a bunch of other apps.

On eBay I saw them go anywhere from 800-1200, depending on how well you present it (honestly! weird)

I'm also for sure selling a 400mhz G4 if anyone is interested. Tiger installed and all kinds of goodies.
 

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
1,094
206
Pasadena, California, USA
agreenster said:
Hey guys! Sorry, I didnt realize this thread was still alive.

I'm still considering selling it if I can get a decent price for it, and if I can convince the wife to let me buy a new one. One caveat, I wont sell it until I have a replacement since I use it quite a bit.

The Powerbook has Photoshop CS on it, Maya 7.0, Flash MX Pro, and a bunch of other apps.

On eBay I saw them go anywhere from 800-1200, depending on how well you present it (honestly! weird)

I'm also for sure selling a 400mhz G4 if anyone is interested. Tiger installed and all kinds of goodies.
A 400MHz TiBook?
 

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
1,892
2
Walt Disney Animation Studios
Okay, cool. Most ram modules on eBay are "Buy It Now" for ~15 bucks. 15 *3 = 45. So 250 + 45 (not including shipping) = 300

I bumped it up to 400 because of all that plus Tiger and all the additional software. If you dont want the software, I can wipe it and sell it for less.

I'm still looking for any interested parties for the Powerbook too.