Feeler: Powermac G5 1.8 SP, 1.5/160/Radeon 9600

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
My many recent posts may have familiarized some of you with the details of my powermac G5 that was damaged by the post office during shipping. Well, after dealing with unhelpful people (the post office (who damaged it), my IT department, authorized repair folks) for 2 months, I just lost patience with this today. I want to sell this mac and move on.

The specs:
rev. A single 1.8 Ghz G5 (8 RAM slots, 900 mhz bus) tower
1.5 GB RAM in 6x256 MB dimms (2 apple, 4 crucial)
160 GB 7200 RPM HD
64 MB ATI Radeon 9600 Graphics
Internal bluetooth (no airport)

The damage:
External damage as seen below.
USB ports were acting erratically a while ago, working slowly, not recognizing devices, etc. But that went away once I zapped the PRAM. So I don't think it's a hardware issue, but I want to be honest about everthing.
**Other than the USB ports, which are now seemingly fine, this G5 is fully functional in every way.** I've been using it daily for 2 months.

What's included:
the computer
apple pro mouse and keyboard (the bottom 6 keys on the number pad of keyboard don't work, otherwise both are fine)
3 button usb logitech mouse
power cord
usb extension cable
VGA/DCI adapter (whatever came with it)
**a brand new replacement G5 enclosure**

What's not included:
warranty, express or implied
install discs and user manuals (I never got these from the original owner, another MR member)

If you know your way around the inside of a G5, you could move everything over to the new case, but I don't have the experience or the patience. I can give you a take-apart PDF that tells you how to do it, though. Serious inquiries only please.

**EDIT** Boxed retail version of Tiger can be included if needed by buyer, but if not I'm happy to keep it.

Attachments

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
i wouoold be intrested depends on the price.. also you would not need to ship it.. i am near dc... as long as the internals work really well.. how much???

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
well, I know it's a seller's responsibility to give a starting price, but it's really hard with this machine. I mean, it's fully functional and nicely equipped, but the external damage probably takes quite a bit off the price. It'd be worth what, $1200-$1300 without the damage?

One local repair shop quoted me $240-300 (4-5 hours at $60/hour) to do the work of moving everything to the new case, while Comp USA (an authorized apple service provider) quoted me $100. So factoring that in, the price in its current state should be between $100 and $300 less, right? So in the $1000-1100 range? I really don't know.

Let me open it up to the community - what's this worth? Even if you're not looking to buy, I'm welcoming estimates from anyone; just be serious please.

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'm afraid that I'd only be interested in trades for another modern mac desktop (cash could be added on either side if needed to balance the trade).

Or *possibly* a 12" or 15" powerbook better than my ibook 12" 1.33, in which case I'd add cash as needed and then sell my ibook.

Thanks for all the interest so far, and feel free to volunteer what you think is a fair price for this, all things considered.

mbl42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2005
I have an iMac G5 I could trade you, you'd need to add a bit of cash though.

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
QCassidy352 said:
I'm afraid that I'd only be interested in trades for another modern mac desktop (cash could be added on either side if needed to balance the trade).

Or *possibly* a 12" or 15" powerbook better than my ibook 12" 1.33, in which case I'd add cash as needed and then sell my ibook.

Thanks for all the interest so far, and feel free to volunteer what you think is a fair price for this, all things considered.
i have a powermac g4 1ghz 1.5gb ati 9000 80gb hd tiger airport superdrive + much more

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
those pictures make me cringe. if something like that happened to my week old dual core 2.0, i think i would lose it. :eek:

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
mxlews said:
I have an iMac G5 I could trade you, you'd need to add a bit of cash though.
Definitely could be interested in an imac G5. Tell me more...

mdoucy2 said:
i have a powermac g4 1ghz 1.5gb ati 9000 80gb hd tiger airport superdrive + much more
Thanks, but I think a mac mini would be about as low as I'd be willing to look since my ibook is already that fast.

MacTruck said:
How did you get that much damage? Drop it down a flight of stairs?
Damaged in shipping by the USPS. I'll never know exactly how, but you can tell that something very heavy was dropped on to it because it's all "crush" damage - the handles are bent out, and that lower piece of casing was forced outward by downward pressure. One repair tech suggested to me that it might have been a forkblade lowered on to it.

tekmoe said:
those pictures make me cringe. if something like that happened to my week old dual core 2.0, i think i would lose it.
Oh, believe me, I'm still horrified by what they did to it, even now. G5's are very sturdy, so they really must have abused it. And it was marked fragile, and it was insured. But I think I've passed through the stages of grief, and am ready to move on to the healing process now. ;)

Oh, take note that the original post has been edited to note that boxed retail Tiger can be included if the buyer needs it.

Also, I have a 20" aluminum apple cinema that could be sold with this. If I'm trading for an imac G5, I definitely would want to sell the monitor (to the same person or not, either way). If I'm trading for a mac mini, powermac, or cash, then I'd keep it, obviously.

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
macbaseball said:
Why didn't USPS buy you a new one. Also how much for the monitor individually.
Ah, well, because they demanded an original sales receipt. I explained that wasn't necessary... that what they needed was a *repair estimate,* but being buerocrats, they didn't care. They're just following orders. But I don't have the original receipt because I got this second hand from a MR member in a trade. I contacted him, and he said he'd send the receipt to me, but several calls and weeks later, he never did. And now the window on filing a claim has closed. :(

Thanks for the support and the estimate, MacCheetah3!

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
pricing

so this is what apple has on there site. for a single 1.8 machine. i guess you can figure out what you want to sell your machine for from this.

Apple Certified Refurbished Power Mac G5
Refurbished Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz/ 256MB/ 80GB/ SuperDrive/ GigE/ 56K
Learn More
• Save 27% off the original price
Original price: $1,499.00
Your price: $1,099.00
Estimated Ship:
1-2 business days
Free Shipping

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
bokdol said:
so this is what apple has on there site. for a single 1.8 machine. i guess you can figure out what you want to sell your machine for from this.

Learn More
Estimated Ship:
1-2 business days
Free Shipping
That machine has 1.25gb less ram, half the harddrive space, no bluetooth... and who knows about the video card!

:cool:

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
bokdol said:

Learn More
Estimated Ship:
1-2 business days
Free Shipping
Thanks, that's useful. Let's do a comparison.
Apple refurb:
• 1 year applecare
• new/refurbished condition
• Nvidia 5200 (64 MB)
• CD's manuals, etc.
• rev. B (meaning 600 mhz bus, 4 gig max RAM)
• tax
My G5:
• 1.25 more GB of RAM
• 80 GB more hard drive
• bluetooth
• ATI 9600 (64 MB)
• rev. A (900 mhz/8 GB RAM)
• physical damage (but the new case included)
• no tax

Mine is much better machine, but has no warranty and, of course, the damage.

So, is anyone interested in this before it hits ebay? And thanks for the support, all!

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
I'd love to trade you my Mac mini, but unfortunately you wouldn't like the amount of cash I'd add to it.

(Not that I wouldn't want to add more, but I just don't have any more:confused: )

durruti

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2004
Jersey
i'm interested

i'm interested...but of course...depending on the price and a few other details.

For example, the bottom 6 keys on the number pad don't work...is that because the keyboard is physically damaged or because of something else? Have you tried a different keyboard and has it worked?

This is because i'm worried....and my logic goes like this...if it was externally damaged i'm concerned the insides might be damaged in a subtle way that later on might be hard to diagnose. (my background is from the DIY PC world). And since you mentioned the USB ports were flaky (but are now okay) that makes me slightly hesitant. (Bad USB ports could be a sign to bigger problems later on, atleast from my PC experience.)

That and the time and skill involved in moving it to a new case might be difficult for me. If you could post the take apart PDF so I could get an idea of the skill involved that would be helpful.

The last thing is also to do with where you are located. I'm in New Jersey and would prefer a local transaction so I could check things out. Also....it seems you've had bad luck with shipping...and i assume it'd be expensive for heavy G5+an extra case. And that would mean travel time, and gas cost, etc. ^^

The specs of your machine however sound really nice though. I'd really like that G5. But considering all those things I mentioned I'd be interested in the 500-900 range depending...

Good luck to you with your sale, if you can't sell it here, i'm sure you'll be able to on ebay.

the best.

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
all fair points, durruti.
- It's definitely the keyboard. The same 6 keys don't work on that keyboard when I plug it in to my ibook. And other keyboards work with the G5.
- Yes, external damage could make you worry about internal damage. But, as I said, I've been using this for 2 months now, and the one thing (spotty usb) that was acting screwy has cleared up. After 2 months, if it's still working flawlessly, I have to think it's really ok.
- The take-apart pdf is 19 MB, so I can't just post it. Plus, apple might not like it if I did; I'm not sure.
- Lastly, looking at the comparison between the rev. B refurb from apple and my computer, I'm afraid that I think $500-900 is way low (not to mention that it's a huge range).

debroglie, if you want to PM me with an offer, the worst I can do is say no...

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Now on ebay!

I'd still rather sell it here, but in case that doesn't work out, I've put it on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5827250259

Note that on ebay I listed an external D-Link bluetooth adapter instead of internal bluetooth. I have both. If I sell it here and you want the internal, I'll do that. If I sell on ebay I'll keep the module and give the buyer the adapter because I can use the internal card.

reason for edit: revised e bay link

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
wouldn't anyone like to make concrete offer (buy or trade)? I'd really like to avoid having to go through with an ebay sale because I've had much better transactions through this site...

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
Well, Im looking for a cheap powermac, but Im in Montreal, wich would raise the shiping cost quite a bit, and the broken case break my heart everytime I look at the picture... I know its just the case, but 1250$ us, for me, is too much for a Pm that could have problems...

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
pionata said:
1250$ us, for me, is too much for a Pm that could have problems...
$1250 is just the buy it now on ebay. The reserve is lower, and I would sell for less here. I'm factoring in paypal and ebay fees when I put a higher price on ebay. Like I've said, if you're interested, make an offer.