Feeling Depressed, Eat Meat .

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

A new study from the UK shows that vegetarians were twice as likely to suffer from depression.

Just another reason for me not to go vegetarian and instead stick with a balanced diet. For me, PETA means people eating tasty animals:).

2. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

I figured there was something going on as they keep yelling and screaming at meat eaters every chance they got!

3. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

I just had the most unbelievable steak sandwich, it was left over from a night ago, these *beautiful* 3" thick rub-eyes. Sliced is thin, a quick sear for a reheat with some onion, and this home made local BBQ with a little mayo ...

Right now, I am one happy SOB. Study validated. :D

4. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

I like the Simpson's episode where they discuss a magical animal :).

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Every once in awhile around here some chicken or lamb ends up unlucky but outside of that I'm happy with mostly fish, tofu and other vegetables. If someone served me beef, ham, some other cut of pork I'm not going to say no but I rarely buy it Thnk I haven't bought beef since back in the 90s sometime although I've eaten some since then.

Bacon definitely comes off a magical animal though. If I ever caved in and bought a pound I'd probably have bacon lettuce and tomato sandwiches for two days x four (!) meals straight in a row, and die smiling.

But, lamb and lentils w/ mushrooms keeps me happy, i have that maybe once in five or six weeks with all due and prompt attention to any leftovers.

6. darksithpro macrumors regular

Wouldn't chocolate deliver better results?

7. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I like to eat a well balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables, grains and animal protein. I'll usually have a steak once a week and grill up a hamburger every so often mixed in with some poultry and fish. I have eaten goat and rabbit before, but not normally. I'm not a big fan of venison either, but living where I do I have been given some from time to time. Large game like elk or moose are better. Humans are omnivores and stay happy and healthy with a well balanced diet.

8. SoggyCheese macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

Maybe UK, Maybe Spain, maybe even elsewhere
    Have you seen the place they took the survey? All this study proves is that meat eaters are more likely to lie.

9. AsherN macrumors 6502

mmmmm, chocolate covered Porterhouse...

South American steak houses are G-d's gift to the restaurant industry. You sit there and meat comes to you.

10. darksithpro macrumors regular

:oops::eek::eek::eek:

11. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Of course vegetarians still consume animal proteins, just not meat. Take away all animal protein then I wonder if it explains vegans angry and irrational behavior?

12. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

Damn that woman starting at 2:30 had me wondering what baby tastes like.

Also reminded me of this:

13. Zenithal Suspended

I suspect a few beers, too? :p

No. Chocolate has vague aphrodisiac qualities aside from the sensory pleasure you can get from it. By which I mean the melting smoothness of it in your mouth and the way the flavors within overtake your taste buds to new heights.

Except the consumption of dairy and eggs needed would surpass most people's caloric needs. Yes, grains and vegetables can provide the same nutrients, albeit in much smaller numbers and probably of poor quality compared to animal sources. Vegetarians and vegans are particularly at risk to lower fat intakes which mess with hormonal balance, sexual health, and can decrease thyroid function. They also often suffer from low iron, which can destabilize mood as well as internal function. Technically, you can meet these two through cheese, eggs or all grain and vegetable (if you're vegan) but it's going to be a poorer quality. Just the issue of heme iron and non heme is a big factor.

14. SoggyCheese macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

And people who eat meat are subject to all sorts of other health concerns.

Face it, food is just bad for you.

15. Zenithal Suspended

I know you jest, but you're right. By consuming any food, including organic, you are exposing yourself to health issues. Coffee and tea plants soak up a lot of bad stuff from the ground. I'd think people are more likely to suffer health issues if they don't consume a varied diet and understand self-control (not over eating) than they would by eating meat. That is unless they have some form of organ failure which prevents them from digesting animal products efficiently.

16. elistan macrumors 6502a

Maybe the depression comes first, and leads to veganism?

17. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

My guess is the lack of nutrients on a vegetarian/ vegan diet. B12 in particular.

Last year I went vegan for 6 months. Most miserable time of my life. I didn't crave meat. But I was in a general bad mood. I also put on weight.

I suffer from anxiety disorder and mild depression . I was a told by a friend that going vegan would help with my anxiety and depression. Well during those 6 months I had some nasty anxiety attacks. And it didn't help with my depression one bit.

My energy level also dropped.

I started reintroducing eggs back into my diet and then chicken. I started feeling a whole lot better. I also lost the weight I had gained.

18. SoggyCheese macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

I'd be interested in seeing this study replicated in another geographical location, preferably an urban one. The South West of England has many remote communities, typically wet weather and employment opportunities are less than perfect especially for the younger generations who are more likely to be vegetarian. These are factors that are very likely to induce low feelings in the population. Also, as I posted earlier the vegetarians might just be answering in a more honest way. A lot of questions about the sample need answering IMO.

19. Zenithal Suspended

Yes, well I imagine it would indeed be difficult to look at a possible sex partner as food for those younger generations.

20. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

21. SoggyCheese macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

Haha. South West of England mate, not Wales :D

(Apologies to my Cymraeg friends, but I couldn't resist that)

22. Zenithal, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017

Zenithal Suspended

It's in the general direction. But, yes, I'll admit I didn't fully read your post. It was too easy to not make a snide remark about the Welsh. :p Oh, but who knows. The freelove period is coming back in style.

23. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

So a man walks into a bar, and sits down. He starts a conversation with an old guy next to him. The old guy has obviously had a few. He says to the man:

"You see that dock out there? Built it myself, hand crafted each piece, and it's the best dock in town! But do they call me "McGregor the dock builder"? No! And you see that bridge over there? I built that, took me two months, through rain, sleet and scoarching weather, but do they call me "McGregor the bridge builder"? No! And you see that pier over there, I built that, best pier in the county! But do they call me "McGregor the pier builder"? No!"

The old guy looks around, and makes sure that nobody is listening, and leans to the man, and he says...

Well, we all know how this joke ends.:p

24. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

If you always assume that you will be correct 100% of the time.

25. Zenithal Suspended

You're just going to post that and not share what you had with us in the beer thread?