Feeling very lonely

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Nov 15, 2008.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Honestly- I don't care. It's sad to me. I voted for Obama just to get screwed by prop 8. I expected to be extremely happy this election year.

When I was in college in the 80's in Bowling Green Ohio, we gays, blacks and latinos banded together. I had a punk band that played all over the area, even though everyone said no one would ever go see a punk band with a gay lead singer. We dominated the scene! We played a lot of gigs in Detroit and made friends with a lot of the bands in Detroit. Detroit had an amazing scene back then and still does. We always played Toledo, Cleveland and Columbus, but we considered Detroit to be the end all, be all. We also did Cincinnati and Nashville.

I don't really know what my point is. I guess this country is feeling more foreign than ever. I think we were closer to being equal 20 years ago.

I'm beginning to feel that all the work I did back then meant nothing.

If people won't stand up and be counted after all this time, I really don't know what to do. I'm tired. I can't keep doing this forever.

I can be nice and say, "but they just don't know any better", but I know they do. It's been 20 years since I started the fight. I'm tired of that excuse.

2. calculus Guest

calculus

Don't lose heart. Progress is never a straightforward linear thing, there are always setbacks. Sometimes stuff like this is just the final thrashings of the old order.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Of course we're lonely.

Generation Jones: a sliver tucked in between the boomers and Gen X.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Jones

Every road rises and falls. Forget effing politics for a few days. Lee, you need to get laid.

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

5. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Have some hope. The ship's course isn't changed overnight with this. I've seen your posts and I appreciate them. We just elected somebody who is an actual intellectual, top of the class, and encourages communication vs. lay it down hard conservative.

I'm also bothered that my home state passed this but I am proud that it's not going down lightly. I expect tomorrow will have massive protests and remember....that's a good sign. Someday it will be. I'm not gay but am really proud when I can engage my daughter and help her make sense of this world. It's funny that at such a young age, to them, it seems obvious. This is the next civil rights movement.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Ya know what BV? I don't need to get laid. I just need to feel like what I've been fighting for means something to people younger than me. I feel like right now, that nothing I did in the 80's means s***. I feel like I've failed the kids I swore I would never fail. I spoke in classrooms to prevent this crap, and I feel like I've let them down. This should have been over by now. And here we are, twenty years later and we've moved maybe an inch, if that.

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Mmmmm. Sex. I almost forgot about that. Now I miss it. Thanks Blue! Now I'm lonely. :p

Lee - I think from the fronts - it feels the same, because you've been fighting this whole time. Much like a soldier on the front line dosen't realize they're winning the war.

But I have seen changes in my short lifespan (late 70s to today) - serious ones. (at least in the N.E.) There ARE changes. Just keep plugging, and take a step backward to see the grand picture when you get too discouraged.

My .02

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Except, we seem to be losing.

We thought these changes would happen sooner than this. I have no faith whatsoever in the general populace. That's what people told me 20 years ago.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I think you do. I think you're over-personalising and over-dramatising a political situation that is in flux. Caught up in following the news about this, all you seem to do here is lash out at others who don't toe the line. And compared to other civil rights movements, this is still in its relative infancy. You're becoming blinded to progress elsewhere, playing a one-note dirge of doom and woe is me.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/1999/11/12/loc_who_is_generation.html

I'm not sure what bleating about losing a battle is supposed to achieve. What do you want from me? You want me to say 'there there' while you ignore other good news and mope around the place like it's the end of the world?

Things will come right in the end. Stop taking the world on your shoulders. Pull yourself together, for fecks sake. I've fought tougher personal battles in many ways, so don't tell me you've got it tough.

<slaps leekohler a couple of times across the face> ;)

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Damn it! You always have to be so damned reasonable. Can't I just be imperfect and irrational for once? :)

You are correct of course, my dear. I'm PO'd! I'm human, for god's sake.

Ok, maybe I do need to get laid. There's always tomorrow night. Actually, I haven't had a vacation in 3 years.

11. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    the bright spot ( and i always see those...) is that the passing of prop 8 has really inspired a much more vocal and visual response from those who know it should've passed. i think there was a false sense of security that the mindset here in cali was much more evolved than it truly is.

the lesson is big changes take time....and this is no less a change than the civil rights movement MLK and his descendants pushed for over the course of at least 5 decades. (and despite obama's election-we're far from an equal society here in the states). for comparison's sake, we're in the "separate but equal' phase imho...which is encouraging because that failed over time.

you may feel alone but you're not.

12. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

13. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I got radical later in life, after college. Eventually my wife and I voted Green, this time. It is a change that needs to happen to bring this country back to the center, not the center-right where it stands now.

When the dems see people like me going Green Party, they may start to think that I may just be a potential voter, maybe a member of a new base.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I need to say that Obama's victory does not correlate to the passage of Prop 8. Voting for Obama is not synonymous with opposing Prop 8. I read it as making such a statement sounds as though you thought that by voting for Obama would somehow ensure Prop 8 is passed.

Quite frankly, I found it very funny that in a preliminary vote Prop 8 would have been shot down. Suddenly California passed it and now suddenly everyone is angry. Typical Cali liberals, shoot now and piss and moan about it later.

I won't really state my full position on the matter as I simply don't care to. But BV does sum up what I believe you're doing (much more eloquently than I ever could).
    Lee, I get how you feel personally attacked by this, but similar to the champion who has something about Republicans moving to Canada over the election, it isn't personal, the feeling on Prop 8 is not a simple blanket and it was not directed towards you.

Your efforts aren't in vain Lee, because you, as a gay man can walk down the streets of Chicago hand in hand with another man and not be killed for showing the world that you are in love ... regardless of their gender.

Did you think about that?

15. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

you do know prop 8 only extends to the borders of CA, not all the way to Chicago, right? :rolleyes:

16. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Doesn't make it any more correct or better for their cause.
    There's this thing called looking out for others.

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"

Yea, Prop 8 passing sucks. We don't worry, people protesting all across the nation has to say something right? We shouldn't have to be protesting it, but I'm glad people are.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

19. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Just like the CARB, it started out "just" in CA. Now MANY states have adopted CARB requirements. It needs to start somewhere - and momentum can roll in either direction. I believe this is his (legitimate) concern.

20. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

I see how the inequality could spread, but I think its silly for people to block traffic in Boston over an unjust law in California. Connecticut just passed what is effectively a ban on gay marriage bans. Maybe that will spread.

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think it's silly for people in Western democracies to care about the plight of those in Darfur, or of endangered species half way around the world.

The crux of the matter is this: if we won't stand for this injustice in California, then for what will we stand for?

We stand as one, or we fall as many.

22. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

The people have spoken. Let is stand. It will die soon my friend.

It's too bad the people that did speak are the idiotic.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What?:confused:

24. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

Yea, I can't sleep. So my thoughts are extremely random and backward right now.

Damn you painkillers!

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No i just wasnt sure what side your taking, it can be read in support of prop 8 or in support of the protesters.