Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I used to understand the thought process behind Apple making sure to develop a quality product and releases 1 model every 12 months or so with the exception of the 4S taking 16 months, but I don't anymore. Mainly, when Apples competition was still weak. Tv's, cars, etc... It makes sense for those products where people do not buy new ones every two years or so like with cell phones.

First, this process hasn't saved them from some pretty big issues... Antennagate for example. What is the point then?

I like when I have that feeling of needing to have the new phone. For example, when they announced the 3G and the iPhone 4... I felt like I HAD to have it right away. With the 3GS and the 4S, I saw the benefits, but I hated knowing that this was all that we got in the way of upgrades for at least a year.

If the next iPhone turns out to be a disappointment (the screen only getting taller would be a disappointment in my eyes, same with the two tone back), then we have to wait another year for them to change it and potentially another 2+ years for a redesign if the trend continues.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The practice of complete secrecy that Apple employs, assures us that we won't have the facts till they're good and ready to release them.

Yet that said, some recent rumors over the last few days, suggest that Apple is beginning to get nervous as they witness the way Samsung's Galaxy S III has been so well accepted, and setting records for that brand. As a result, apparently Apple is scrambling madly to get the new phone out. Hopefully we won't have another Antennagate type of problem because it's not ready, yet Apple shipped it anyway. What a mess.

Luckily, they decided to fix it in the iPhone 4's, that phone is a pretty decent one, even if it does look odd, just like the iPhone 4.

The easiest way to deal with the denial of those who think everything Apple is perfect.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
The next iPhone wont be a disappointment.

Im confident making that statement.

geoffm33

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
The practice of complete secrecy that Apple employs, assures us that we won't have the facts till they're good and ready to release them.

Yet that said, some recent rumors over the last few days, suggest that Apple is beginning to get nervous as they witness the way Samsung's Galaxy S III has been so well accepted, and setting records for that brand. As a result, apparently Apple is scrambling madly to get the new phone out. Hopefully we won't have another Antennagate type of problem because it's not ready, yet Apple shipped it anyway. What a mess.

Luckily, they decided to fix it in the iPhone 4's, that phone is a pretty decent one, even if it does look odd, just like the iPhone 4.

The easiest way to deal with the denial of those who think everything Apple is perfect.

Is there a source for the bolded parts?

geoffm33

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
I didn't post that, but there was that rumor about August 7th. Maybe that?

I've seen plenty of the recent rumors regarding ramping up production, etc for an Aug/Sep/Oct (month varying from rumor to rumor). I just haven't seen anything to indicate that Apple is ramping up production to get it out ahead of schedule for any reason.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I've seen plenty of the recent rumors regarding ramping up production, etc for an Aug/Sep/Oct (month varying from rumor to rumor). I just haven't seen anything to indicate that Apple is ramping up production to get it out ahead of schedule for any reason.

I haven't either... And for that matter, I have been following MacRumors since I starting following the rumors for the iPhone 3G... and I have never seem Apple come off as Nervous or Scramble to release a product (that was evident when they pushed back the 4S)

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
I like the fact that their product offering are simple and predictable. I am not a fan of the other vendors with their 5000 offerings that changes weekly.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Is there a source for the bolded parts?
Yes, but I don't always capture them all. I was simply sharing what I'd read, some observations, as well as my years of experience with Apple.

Once again, I'll remind everyone that may not know Apple well, that they are secretive, highly unpredictable, and yet capable of producing some really amazing products when they feel like it.

Finally... remember if you look up, at the top of the page it says "MacRumors".

No need to take things so seriously. It's just "Stuff".

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I don't see Apple as nervous or scrambling to ramp up production
Apple marches to their own drummer, not the beat of others

All of the talk about Apple needing to wow us, etc is mostly isolated to a fraction of the user base

I wouldn't want to see Apple churning out new iPhones (iPads, etc) any quicker
I like enjoying my devices for a while before upgrading :)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I haven't either... And for that matter, I have been following MacRumors since I starting following the rumors for the iPhone 3G... and I have never seem Apple come off as Nervous or Scramble to release a product (that was evident when they pushed back the 4S)

You're too new. It takes years to learn the signs.

Apple is no different than any other company. The worshipers like to believe they have no competition and no worries, but they are only kidding themselves.

It's not easy being Apple :eek:

geoffm33

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
Yes, but I don't always capture them all. I was simply sharing what I'd read, some observations, as well as my years of experience with Apple.

Once again, I'll remind everyone that may not know Apple well, that they are secretive, highly unpredictable, and yet capable of producing some really amazing products when they feel like it.

Finally... remember if you look up, at the top of the page it says "MacRumors".

No need to take things so seriously. It's just "Stuff".

No need for the lecture. Just asking if you have a source.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
There were still huge lines when the 3G and 3GS were released because there are thousands and thousands of people who just buy the new one because it's a new one. I've bought every one to date and some of them, I bought multiples.

I don't mind that it it 12+ months in between. I didn't buy my first 4S until November and sold it about a month later. Bought the second one in January and still have it and will keep it. I likely won't buy the new one till a few months later, maybe even January again even though my AT&T account has been eligible since May.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Despite what a couple of media sources say about Apple being concerned, I highly doubt it tbh.

I have read those articles and they were not really from a reputable paper anyways.

To answer the OP's question, I hate the 12 month wait, but I can see why they do it. Apple has always done things their way to the betterment of their products and company.

I have the SSGS3 and like it alot but them comparing monthly sales between Samsung selling a new flagship device against a product that is already 8 - 10 months out the gate already is ludicrous! If Sammy sold the same amount within their first 3 months as Apple does with the upcoming model THEN I will be impressed.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Despite what a couple of media sources say about Apple being concerned, I highly doubt it tbh.

I have read those articles and they were not really from a reputable paper anyways.

To answer the OP's question, I hate the 12 month wait, but I can see why they do it. Apple has always done things their way to the betterment of their products and company.

I have the SSGS3 and like it alot but them comparing monthly sales between Samsung selling a new flagship device against a product that is already 8 - 10 months out the gate already is ludicrous! If Sammy sold the same amount within their first 3 months as Apple does with the upcoming model THEN I will be impressed.

Ppl are waiting for iphone 5 that s why SG3 sales are not higher than they are. Disappointing iphone 5 and SG3 goes up again

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Yet that said, some recent rumors over the last few days, suggest that Apple is beginning to get nervous as they witness the way Samsung's Galaxy S III has been so well accepted, and setting records for that brand. As a result, apparently Apple is scrambling madly to get the new phone out.
I don't see Apple scrambling to do a damn thing. They take their sweet time (2 year between redesigns for example) and even then, it is not influenced, even slightly, by what anyone else in the industry is doing. They know that the phone will fly off the shelves because they're selling an image, not just a phone.

..and the same square (but slightly taller) iPhone 4 style this year just reinforces that.

There's two paths in the cell phone market: Apple's and everyone else's.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Does people really think Apple doesn't care about competition? That was 5 years ago, now that Android has stepped up, of course they need to care about competition. It's not a solo cowboy industry

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Does people really think Apple doesn't care about competition? That was 5 years ago, now that Android has stepped up, of course they need to care about competition. It's not a solo cowboy industry

It isn't that they don't care about competition, it is that they are not reactionary to it
They tend to chart their own course in a proactive way
Sure, they test the waters and see what is going on around them, but they don't make knee jerk reactions

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The whole image/logo factor that some stereotype others as the reason they purchase an iPhone is ridiculous. A large percentage of Apple customers are very demanding and not tech savvy. With those two combined, Apple would completely fail if they didn't get it right. Apple doesn't have the luxury to screw things up like other companies. They only have one phone(meaning one line which gets updated) with their own exclusive OS vs other compaines having many differ phones loaded with an OS they don't own that's not exclusive. If Apple screwed up the iPhone or iOS, it's not like people would have an alternative within Apple to choose any phone. With HTC, Samsung, etc: and another OS itself, people would have other alternatives which means many would still purchase from the same compaines.

Case in point, just look at RIM. Yes they have many phone lines, but their exclusive OS is basically a failure now which affects phones sales and the ability to get compaines to make BB phones. Apple would be in the same or even worse position when it comes to iPhone sales if the iPhone was a POS. So the whole stereotyping iPhone users as purchasing for the reason of fashion or to make a statement seems like an excuse that geeks makeup to justify their own fanboy opinions.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The only thing Apple might be scrabbling to do is get enough phones built to meet demand on launch day.

Launch day is going to be insane. It will make the incredibly successful 4S launch seem paltry in comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.