Felon Kills Off Duty Officer - Akron

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Off-duty Akron officer killed, others shot at Akron pub

Officer Justin Winebrenner was killed by a person who shouldn't have had a gun. This is again, proof that criminals do not obey our laws. You can pass all the gun control laws that you want to pass, that will not stop felons from possessing or using these weapons because they do not obey our laws.

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Well thank god someone finally posted proof that criminals don't obey our laws!
    This changes EVERYTHING!!!
    :rolleyes:

3. samiwas macrumors 65816

The only answer is more guns in the hands of more people. It's the ONLY logical solution.

Quick, everyone...your every move is threatened! You need to support more guns in the hands of more people! You will be safer and stuff!!!

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

While this is a sad story and I feel for the family. Don't off duty cops still carry a weapon? I thought they were the ones that were supposed to subdue the criminals.

5. chabig macrumors 68040

You think off duty cops are supposed to subdue criminals? Judging by this thread you started I would have expected you to ask the cop to erect a perimeter.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

First of all, congratulations on defining criminals as "people who don't obey the law," because frankly, that was news to me.

Secondly, how do you explain the results of other developed countries? They are not at the mercy of gun-toting criminals. Why do you expect a different outcome in the U.S.?

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

No I am saying that it doesn't matter who has a gun, they can't stop someone else with a gun. The whole a good guy with a gun stopping a bad guy with a gun is bunk.

8. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Ah yes, the "it works in other countries" argument. You know child slavery works in other countries. Making women cover themselves from head to toe works in other countries. Children as sex slaves, legalized hard drugs, etc. work in other countries. Not everything that works in other countries will work in this country. I know, shocking.

My point is simple, you can pass all the laws that you want to pass to try and control guns. The only people that will follow the laws are the ones that we don't need to be worried doubt. You know the ones that passed background checks and bought them legally.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Everyone has a clean record until they don't.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Minority report was just a movie.

----------

Nice post SD

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So people don't have a clean record and good background check while buying a gun, only to commit a crime later?

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    What you're saying is that while some countries enjoy some better standards of living and safety than we have here in the US, we can't try to emulate what they did because SHARIA LAW AND SEX TRAFFICKING!

Actually, now that I think about it, going for the absurd conclusion does have its advantages. It's a great way to look like you're saying something when you're not actually saying anything at all, and instantly puts everyone else in the conversation on defensive.

"You know, I'm in a lo mein mood today. Let's hit up that Chinese restaurant down the street."

"That sounds pretty good, but you failed to consider the organ harvesters, Bobby. DID YOU STOP TO CONSIDER THE ORGAN HARVESTERS?"

"...what does that have to do with Chinese food?"

"Why are you defending organ harvesters? They're terrible people."

"...but I'm...I'm..."

"Typical democrat. Let's get Italian."

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

You don't need guns to commit crimes. Plenty are killed just getting beat up .

----------

Those better standards of living are due to many reasons
    Here thugs beat you up just for fun
    Here thugs riot when the team WINs
    Here knocking people out Is a game
    Here flash mobs are organized to go and ROB on a mass scale
    Here stealing & looting is done because of injustice:rolleyes:
    Here you end up being a criminal by many stupid laws
    Here education is hard to afford to many
    Here the color of your skin automatically makes you a suspect

There are many reasons why "here" SUCKS. The freedom to protect yourself with a firearm is not IMHO one of them

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So now we revert to the don't blame the guns argument.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

And to a point, I agree. I'm not completely against gun ownership. What I am against is the always prevalent culture of fear we have here in the US, of which gun culture, and this driving need to feel protected as much as possible from anything and everything is a large symptom thereof.

At some point, you have to call a spade a spade, and realize that the reason why more people are getting shot in the US is directly due to the fact that there are more guns available for people to get shot with. More guns on top of that isn't necessarily the only solution to the problem.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Turn off the news. Stop living in fear

----------

Do you blame the cars for drunk drivers?

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It'd be better if we held our news sources to higher standards than it would be to ignore them entirely.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Then don't get a gun. Simple as that

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Now your arguments don't even make sense. I thought you needed a gun for protection now you don't?

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

We have no "news" sources. We have advocacy channels spreading crap & fear everyday
    What I "need" & what you "need" happens to be based on our personal situations. You have no need for guns and I applaud you, don't need it? don't get it, simple as that, not sure that is hard to grasp.

----------

missed this part on my phone.

do you have a source? as we speak 28 more guns are falling off the CA roster of approved firearms, every year we have less firearms available.

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Largely, I think gun culture is a poisoned well. Too many of its ideas and conclusions are hysterical meanderings built on pithy bumper sticker philosophy.

My grandfather owned a couple of shotguns, a M1, and a couple of pistols. If for no other reasons because he liked them and he liked shooting. But, he didn't carry them around for show. He didn't hole up in his bedroom waiting for some weirdo to come through the door. He just had a few guns in the house.

Today's gun culture is hysterical and histrionic, a bash-up of anti-government paranoids, white supremacists, and political monsters who took over the old city, looted the libraries and left graffiti on the walls daring anyone Molon labe.

It's always a pleasure knowing that while I work everyday to bring context to hard stories with in-depth reporting, I'm judged by some ridiculous television show.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I love Irony. you seem to be practicing that bumper sticker philosophy in your own post.
    here.

the ironic part.

your bumper sticker views are as biased as can be, goes to show your "reporting" is only viewed one way.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

[​IMG]

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I mean more people getting shot relative to other first world nations. You're right in the sense that gun ownership per household and crime both have seen a decent decline since the 80's. Though there has been a recent spike in gun sales over the last 5-6 years or so.

This tells me one thing: someone, somewhere is making a lot of bank playing off our fears.

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That's not bumper sticker philosophy. Bumper sticker philosophy would be anything you could sum up in a single pithy phrase, like "Gun Control means using both hands." Or, "if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."

That's actually not irony either. Instead, that would be hypocrisy.

Irony is a difficult concept.

I always love this.

I'm not reporting here. I'm stating my opinion in an anonymous forum. Moreover, reporters are allowed to have personal opinions about a given person or situation. That's not biased, that's human.

But, nice try with the word bias. You almost got that one right.