felt any heart beat in weird places on your body? did doctor say anything?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iOrlando, Jan 27, 2010.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

has anyone felt and seen their heart beat in their upper arms, foot, leg, or back ? this might come and go from time to time. It wont last for more than 30 seconds at a time. if so, did you go to a doctor and did he say anything about it?

just for clarification, say you are sitting at a computer, all of a sudden, your upper arm muscle would begin to twitch, and looking at it, you could see your heart beat move the muscle. it then would stop after 30 seconds. its a good feeling.

i've read that it usually has to do with low body fat and very low blood pressure.

i am just collecting some observations about it.

2. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I've had that happen to me every now and then, but I've never worried about it really. Definitely not enough to ask a doctor about it. It's possible it has to do with body fat and/or blood pressure. I have quite low body fat, but I thought my blood pressure was normal. I know my doctor's never made any comment on it but I've never bothered to compare what he measures it at with what "normal" would be for my age, sex, weight etc.

3. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

well i was told in the past that i have very low blood pressure. after sitting, once i stand, i wouldnt be able to see anything and would basically have to drop to the ground. Doctor said (paraphrasing). ah dont worry about it. eat salt. so that is the only reason i think i still have low blood pressure.

4. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Hmm that's a low blood pressure thing? That does happen to me too, although not as often as it used to. It's only been bad enough that I actually fainted once, normally I can just stand there or lean on something for a few seconds and it goes away.

5. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

yeah same here. it was alot worse when i was a little younger.

I generally found going to doctors with questions was pointless because 1) they had no clue what you are even describing 2) they have no clue what is wrong with you even though they understand what you are describing 3) everyday they see so many people asking the same questions time and time again that eventually grow insensitive to your situation and really don't care that much.

yes some doctors are better than others, but that is how I feel.

6. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I don't know if this is exactly what you're after (yes, I have experienced what you described), but sometimes if I lay real still in the right position I can hear the blood pumping near my ears. It's like a real soft "SSSSSSSSsssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh, SSSSSSSSsssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh" kind of a sound...

7. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

it is fairly common and caused by some pressure, usually a stretched muslce in the area due to the strain of sitting forward, extending an arm, etc, or a bone pressing against an artery. This allows the surge of blood sent with each heart beat to be felt. Low body fat would allow you to feel this more often as you have less "insulation" between your artery and muscle/bone/tendon.
    Also, make sure you are not experiencing a muscle twitch, also very common, that you are confusing with your hear beat.

As for the hearing your blood pump, also common if your ear is covered. If it is uncovered, then it means you have cancer. :D

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

^^ I've told people I can hear my blood pumping and they snicker like I'm making it up. Whatever...

9. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

ty. yes very often it would happen after a workout as well. so that adds up.