FEMA threatening health of 50,000 families

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Nov 8, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I missed this story before, but I find it appalling.

From Crooks & Liars

Is there anything this administration has not hosed up?

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

No one is forcing anyone to live in FEMA trailers.

3. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

You are right. They could sleep outside, or on the street. As a taxpayer, I am pissed that the money I spent to make these poor folks life manageable, and give them a chance to rebuild, is being pissed away by incompetence!

Whatda y'all have to say to that?

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The side story here is that the plywood or chipboard used in the trailers came from SE Asia somewhere.

My guess is that FEMA is protecting the subcontractor who imported the wood.

I smell a massive class action lawsuit here...

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Really? That's your only comment for this? Everything wrong with this, and that's the only part you have a problem with?

6. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

This is horrifying. I can't bring myself to trust our government in any way.

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You're right. The money would have been better spent researching history to find out what in the hell people did before there was a FEMA after a natural disaster. They sure as hell didn't huddle in a makeshift shelter for two years waiting for something to happen to them.

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You're right. If I were you I wouldn't use any government services just to be safe.

9. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

Good luck with that one!

10. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Yet if you're poor and/or homeless...according to FEMA, sucks to be you. What choice can you honestly make?

Disgraceful.

:mad:

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm conflicted about this. On one hand, FEMA continues to be completely unable to do its job and this is because of mismanagement that goes all the way to the pin-head peak of the administration. However, why are people still living in FEMA-provided shelters? This was supposed to be a temporary solution.

12. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I'd be willing to bet cash money that a percentage of them would give birth to and raise three generations of offspring there while they wait for someone to solve their problem.

13. pdham macrumors member

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

15. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

<snip>
    What choice would you make? The comfort of knowing you have shelter, or the uncertainty of where you and your family will sleep?
    <snip>
    I'd move to another city in New York minute. I know I would because I've done it many times - even when I was broke and had to live out in the woods for a couple weeks until I hooked up with a place to live.

I didn't start a family until I could afford one, so I guess in that sense I don't understand what the thought processes of these people are.

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

17. pdham macrumors member

As has been said to you many times before:

You are not a minority (mostly black in the case of NO) male (or female) with only a high school education that has to work two jobs to make ends meet. Your ability to move is hardly the same thing.

And just for fun since you always bring up the kids thing: say a single person works a minimum wage job 40 hours a week ($5.85/hour). That means after taxes they would bring home roughly $750 a month. I work with individuals in Madison, WI who have difficulty making rent payments. So I can say that affordable housing in an urban area (one bedroom) is abouut $400 a month if you are lucky (not considering public housing because the waiting lists in every city are usually 6 months to years long). That leaves $35. Lets say they take a bus. Again in my city that is $50 for a month pass. Down to $300. If they eat nothing but tuna and romen (sp?) noodles maybe they can get by at $100 a month. That leaves $200. Utilities - probably at least $50; in the winter $75+. That leaves $125 and we haven't got to health care (because McDonalds and Wal-Mart aren't offering any), personal hygene needs, clothing, etc.

18. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I just think there needs to be further assessment as to why people are still living in FEMA trailers. Do extensive interviews to find out where people can be placed permanently. I know there are people who absolutely have nowhere to go, but there are also people milking the system for whatever they can get.

19. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Except the milk has poison in it. Whether or not you're poisoning a freeloader or someone at wit's end, it's still shameful.

20. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

There are two issues at play here. The first is the question of why FEMA seems to be so continuously ill-prepared to handle the situation. It certainly is a failure on multiple levels of goverment, and I would love to see some heads roll and some real accountability. I think FEMA's irresponsibility here is criminal.

That said (to address Swarmlord's points), there's also the issue of personal responsibility. As far as I can ascertain, residents of the trailers have not had to pay any rent or utilities, with a payment plan beginning in March of 2008. That means they have had two years of rent-free living to amass the funds necessary to either move somewhere with affordable housing and sustain themselves while they looked for a new job, or otherwise use the time and funds to search out other arrangements. I consider myself to be relatively liberal when it comes to social issues, but I can't see 50,000 families being so disabled or destitute that a greater number of them wouldn't be able to make better of their living situations.

Certainly there are elderly, handicapped, victims who lost their assets or key members of family, and otherwise disadvantaged individuals who have no alternative, but there's got to be a sizeable number of people who are simply waiting for a government hand-out. Having come from a poor town myself, I can attest to the validity of the claim that some people really do choose to be lazy, poor, and bleeding the government for handouts, and that it's actually a prevailing attitude in some places. Those who saw a free ride and are taking it as far as they can are not making the situation any better for the real victims.

21. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

As with most government programs, FEMA had no exit strategy. :p

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

These homes may have passed inspection and air quality requirements in the areas where they were built, but they tend to offgas more in warm/humid climates ...

Of course it isn't just manufactured homes that have this problem, a lot of the newer well sealed homes with energy rating may also lend themselves to air quality problems. And the only way around them is to bring in outside air -- and there are air systems to do that without flushing energy down the drain.

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

So, the contractor only had plans to use them in cool/dry climates?

Once again, the trailers were built used plywood/chipboard that had massive amounts of formaldehyde in it. Had they been sold to private individuals, there would have been a massive recall and huge settlements.

bushco has so far refused to do anything whatsoever to rectify the situation. Any intelligent person would have taken the contractor to the cleaners.

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you would be surprised. Contractors are general pretty good at covering their rears. A lot of the time once they pass inspection and it is sold it going to be harder to get them on anything.
    This is not because the bussiness is dirty they do this but because of how sue happy the world has become and they have always been an easy target. This forces them to get very good at covering themselves. The contractor gets blamed if the architect or the engineer screws up on the plans and their is a problem. Not the contractor fault that the plans where bad but they get blamed.

Also it means FEMA gave the ok on the material used. Normally it is required to get the owner ok on any material used. So FEMA gave them the ok when they went for approval (again part of the covering one rear). So it going to be FEMA having to deal with the law suits because they are the ones who ok everything. I going to guess that there was very little profit being made on those homes so it going to be cheap. I going to guess the margin was less than 5% which in the industry is not very much. 10%-20% is more the norm. Government work is very cut throat and goes to the lowest bidder by law. Add into that the Government wanted it done cheaply you get what you pay for.

25. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I think you've gotten to the root of the problem with those 50K people inadvertently.

:p