Feminist cafe who charged 18% 'man tax' goes out of business

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Apr 24, 2019.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I'm not against feminism in any way but this was ridiculous and obviously backfired as a result.

2. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

A business model that alienates men and patronizes women...shocking that this didn’t work out.

3. Brad9893, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019

Brad9893 macrumors 6502

Brad9893

I find it mind boggling that someone could be so moronic. Restaurants are a dime a dozen – naturally men wouldn't go to one owned by a such a misandrist. They will take their patronage somewhere else. For what it is worth, I bet most women, even feminists, skipped out too.

4. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Don't forget...It could also have failed because it was a "vegan" restaurant. :). I think it has already been proven that if you break things down correctly (Type of Job, amount of time in the job, hours worked) there is no gender pay gap. If there was all of these companies would just hire women as that would save them $$$.

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Vegan restaurant? Sorry, you can't pay me to eat at such a place. Well, you can, because Rule of Acquisition 98: Every man has his price. It would cost you 2 steak dinners for me to eat a vegan meal.

6. Brad9893 macrumors 6502

Brad9893

I wouldn't mind a vegan restaurant if they were honest about it! There are a lot of dishes out there that are delicious, but simply contain no meat or dairy. However, most of the ones that I've been to in my area all use fake vegan meat, fake vegan cheese, etc. So what's the point?

Interestingly enough, about the pay gap, there was a report in the news a couple of months ago about how Google had to adjust the salaries of a subset of their male employees upward. They did an audit and found that women with similar positions and experience were being paid more. I think we will see more of this going forward as PC companies "overcompensate".

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I don't get it... so their solution to the alleged pay gap was to tax customers instead of simply providing fair salaries???

8. appleisking macrumors 6502a

This is actually illegal. Sex being a protected class you absolutely cannot charge a male customer more than a female customer.

9. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Actually, that is not true.

From Pew Research Center

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Hmmm, lets alienate 50% of the potential customers. Yeah, that'll work!

11. linuxcooldude, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019

linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Although, right now I don't have time to go into specifics, its primarily woman's choices that deside how much money she makes, not a false "wage gap" For example men often make more because they negotiate more than women for wages and also ask for raises more than women. Interesting video of Barbara Corcoran from "Shark Tank" TV show. She mentions this also:

Another scenario that I actually witnessed myself:

My boss was in charge of a tech library that she started from scratch. A few years down the line she discovered that position was 3 or 4 pay-grades above what she was getting. She brought that up to her superiors and she got a substantial promotion. Something I think her superiors themselves didn't realize at the time. It was because in the early years it was a totally new branch started to preform maintenance and repair of the Navy's minesweepers.

12. Altis macrumors 68030

It's an earnings gap. A real classic, pushed by people who do not understand the source or meaning of the figures.

Comparing "full time" men and women net pay without factoring in for things like hours worked (which is massively different, as much as one full additional work day per week), field of work, risk, etc, is dishonest at best.

In fact, you could have women paid more for their job than the men they work with in every single field and still have a large earnings gap that favors men.

13. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

You may as well cite Betsy DeVos as being in touch with teachers and students. Using millionaires and billionaires as examples of women who are equal is hardly making your case.

14. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Yes there’s an average difference. No, it’s not due to discrimination.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

The Pew Research study is interesting but very limited due to the fact that it bundles everything together.
    You would have to take into account other factors (leave, OT, etc.). The best study on the dynamics under the hood that are serious factor in earnings is Harvard's study on a very, very controlled environment (here: https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/bolotnyy/files/be_gendergap.pdf ) where gender is virtually irrelevant.

On the aggregate elements such as the danger of the job would carry a heavy weight. For example:

[​IMG]

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

More like 1% of their potential customers. I know lots of guys but only ONE vegan guy. And our vegan beau is only vegan to impress his vegan belle. If he's out with the rest of us guys, he tears into a 1lbs steak like the rest of us.

As for the pay gap. If I ever start my own business, I would hire ONLY females.:eek: The savings in payroll alone would net me a extra few grand a year.:p There is certain the harem quality to the idea.:D:D:D But it'll be mainly for the cost savings. Let's be honest, only an idiot would hire based on looks alone.

17. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I saw the news in the TimCast podcast, apparently there's rumors that the food was terrible so it could have just failed for that reason alone.

It's just poetic justice that they were as**s to begin with.

18. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

^This. If you want to ruin your small business, just pick a political side and alienate 50% of your customer base.

19. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

Meh. Just as dumb as the sporting goods store in Colorado Springs that refused to sell Nike gear due to they having Kapernick etc as endorsers and had shut down due to almost no-one shopping there. Sent a message, but at the expense of your business.

20. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Ahem...she didn't start out being rich. She co-founded her own real-estate business and also her own business "The Corcoran Group" a real-estate research group. She built it up to $86 Million before she sold it. It was her experiences as a woman, hiring women and how women react in a business setting. If you want to dismiss it because it goes against your narrative, so be it.

21. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I'm dismissing it because you went out of your way to make a comparison against a millionaire and real working women in a competitive marketplace. Barbara is self-made, there's no doubt about that but it's an extreme example just to try and shove this point down our throats and not representative of the rest of us.

22. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Real working women, work in a variety of setting with various pay scales. She started businesses before becoming rich as a small business owner, so this alienating real working women is false.

I'm not even trying to use her success as an example, only what experiences she's had in hiring and working with women as a boss.

23. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

She is a great success story and obviously had what it takes, in fact she even had to fight for her role on Shark Tank which even gives her more merit in my book. However, so did Bill Gates or Steve Jobs or a number of other super rich men and women, they are the exceptions not the rule.

The gender pay gap is real in the modern workplace and we have data to back it up. In many ways it's like arguing against climate change deniers who simply refuse to listen fact based evidence in favor of a political talking point.

24. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Of course the gender pay gap is real. But not due to discrimination, but women's choices.

25. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Vegan restaurants are becoming popular around the world now but are still a niche market in the trade really. Halving you’re potential intake of customers by discriminating based on gender was never going to be a good move. Just like any homophobic business that operates by exclusion I am glad this business saw the effects of its poor approach.