Feminists had already gone off the deep end; now boldly venturing into unknown territory...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Falhófnir, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The change.org petition having so few signatories I don’t even have to take my shoes and socks off to count them?

2. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Bottom line is there is a subset of people who spend their time looking for something to get upset about.

Take this article for example: https://people.com/human-interest/new-iphones-too-big-womens-hands/

So now Apple is "sexist" for making phones that are too big for a woman's hands? Really? Sexist?

My wife wishes they would keep the SE, but not because she thinks the larger ones are sexist, but because the SE fits in her pocket.

3. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Hopefully "feminine products" is still a term we can use.

4. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Well what the **** did you expect when you put up a thread title like that? Purring kittycats? Half the people in here are independents, not lefties or righties, and they can all can tell a troll thread no matter who puts it up. If we bite, it's because we're bored or trying to kill some clock like is dinner ready yet?

On the presumed gist of the thread topic: I can generally distinguish from the packaging what size box to select for the need I wish to fill: cube size for the guest room, travel size for handbag, big ol' box next to the door to get me through a winter of having to wipe my eyeglasses off when I come in from the cold.

And yeah, it's marketing. They didn't mean to wake you from your slumber. Nothing to see here unless you're a marketing maven.

5. Falhófnir thread starter macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

A discussion on silly extremist feminism? Not difficult really unless you're one of those people who cannot express a passionately held belief without getting unduly agitated ;)

6. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I thought the days of extremist feminism were over. There can be a time and place to be rude and in that time and place I wouldn't call it extreme... just rude.

Anyway it's hard to get all passionate about what to call a large-sized facial tissue, no?

7. Falhófnir thread starter macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Really focusing on the tissues too much; that’s just a sort of starting point, the real meat of the topic here is supposed to be the general point few, vocal feminists get upset over something as petty as calling large tissues ‘man sized’. I don’t understand the problem, it’s a well established colloquialism meaning larger than normal - some have suggested this is merely a controversial marketing trick, but I’m not convinced as it seems like there are a few over-represented man-hating feminists out there who do get upset over trivial things like this

8. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Dude, you wrote earlier in this thread that women should get equal pay, shouldn’t be considered the property of their husbands, etc.

You’re a feminist whether you like the term or not.

9. Falhófnir thread starter macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Honestly I’d call that common sense, not feminism. But I reiterate, I’m talking about the extremists that hate men/ masculinity and get offended by things like using ‘man sized’ to refer to a large sized product, not everyone who supports meaningful enfranchisement of women in society.

10. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I'm not sure I would place the blame for this on "feminists". By and large, they do not usually concern themselves with things like this. Rather, I would think the blame lies in that vocal segment of the population who are seemingly offended by everything, (usually on behalf of other people who never asked their opinion). We have lots of them here in the US and I would expect the UK has equally as many. Maybe more.

11. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Ah, yes, the theory of the "Well Established Colloquialism"...

I think my dinner's ready.

12. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

“It was always like this, what’s the sudden issue?”

Things change. I don’t see this as absurd or necessary either way, but probably a change for the best,

13. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Again, other than the self-serving statements of a company spokesperson, there is no evidence that such extremists exist.

So, basically, what you are doing is citing an unknown small number of hypothetical people allegedly pushing a pointless argument and using them to paint an entire movement as irrational.

14. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

No, you're a feminist. Whether you like it or not. You don't get to voluntarily self-identify or consent to labels when it comes to feminism.

15. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Cleese is a treasure. I got to see him give a talk after a viewing of The Holy Grail and we all had a good laugh as a MAGA dork chose a very brief slight at Trump to be the hill he died on.

16. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

17. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

18. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

First those crazy feminists change the name of a tissue… next, they'll be killing all men! It's the logical next step! This is the beginning of the end!

:mad:

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Large facial tissues? I always thought man sized tissues were an aid to male masturbation as a more hygienic version of an old sock.

21. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Huh? What? Feminists are mad about something? No way. Can’t be. They always use logic, reason and they articulate their positions with facts and profound statements.

Yep. :D

22. harrisondavies macrumors 6502

harrisondavies

Manhole cover > Personhole cover.
    Mandate > Persondate.
    Mandatory > Persondatory.
    Mannequin > Personaquin.
    Manta Ray > Ta Ray.
    Man > Person.

Doesn’t make sense to change the norm.

The list could go on. It would be most annoying to have to change these.

23. decafjava macrumors 68040

decafjava

You do realise, I hope, that the roots of some of those have nothing to do with man as a male human...

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I am surprised so many right-wing MR users here object to a company doing what it feels is in its best interests to maximise profits.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 19, 2018 ---
    What about 'man-hours'?

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Which is probably why they’ve changed the name. Especially when women control 75% of spending.