Feminists had already gone off the deep end; now boldly venturing into unknown territory...

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm not the one petitioning a company to change a 60 year old brand because it upsets me?

I just think it's pathetic people were actually upset about it in the first place
There are some products designed specifically for women like bras, (although there is the Manzier ;)) and jocks for men, but the last thing we need is sexist terms in product labeling. Wait an idea, how about woman sized jocks for dainty men? ;)

For Kleenex, call it large, or extra large, but mansized? Too big for women's dainty body parts? :rolleyes: Think about this in other marketing, mansized trucks? Mansized toilets? This is the type truck, my sister’n Law drives:

D7013D87-E7E9-4E18-8EA7-72FD8FE9EBFC.jpeg

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's all rather silly, from any perspective. I can't see why anyone would get butthurt over naming them that, but that's the world we live in today. Someone's got to be offended. What will they have to change next?

Because when a manufacturer apply sexual terms to products that don’t need them, they are promoting sexist distinctions that have tradional applied second class status to women.
[doublepost=1539955417][/doublepost]
Manhole cover > Personhole cover.
Mandate > Persondate.
Mandatory > Persondatory.
Mannequin > Personaquin.
Manta Ray > Ta Ray.
Man > Person.

Doesn’t make sense to change the norm.

The list could go on. It would be most annoying to have to change these.
There used to be the cockpit, think about that. But now they call it the flight deck. I wonder why? ;) Of note, the original meaning was not based on sexual anatomy or designation but it seemed to be a good thing to do in a modern world where women are achieving equality in society.

Last edited:

s2mikey

macrumors 68020
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Some of the things Im reading in this thread are both hilarious and completely sad at the same time. Holy crap...we've gone way past political correctness. We have entered an unknown zone for sure. Whats next? Cant call your basement a Man-cave without a protest? Are we going to remove the label for the "men's" department at stores now too? C'mon, its offensive.

Make no mistake - reasonable, aka NOT psycho feminists have NO problems with any of this stuff. They dont buy into thsi garbage so lets not pretend that most women agree with any of this. Just the purple-haired ones that cant get any dates. :p

s2mikey

macrumors 68020
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I cannot stand the abuse of the English language to justify equality. But I'm ok with being the "chairman" of a committee. There is no reason to change perfectly good words that have been in use for decades or centuries. New words? That's another story. But stop all the rest of this nonsense.
Exactly. Keep in mind too that the term "man" when used in most of these contexts certainly DOES include women. Its just faster to say "mankind" or chairman of the board. "mankind" = human beings of both sexes!

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Some of the things Im reading in this thread are both hilarious and completely sad at the same time. Holy crap...we've gone way past political correctness. We have entered an unknown zone for sure. Whats next? Cant call your basement a Man-cave without a protest? Are we going to remove the label for the "men's" department at stores now too? C'mon, its offensive.

Make no mistake - reasonable, aka NOT psycho feminists have NO problems with any of this stuff. They dont buy into thsi garbage so lets not pretend that most women agree with any of this. Just the purple-haired ones that cant get any dates. :p
Your link about removing the Men’s or Women’s Dept, at department stores? Ok, I realize this was a projection :), in some cases it is warranted and in others it is not, but there is no need to exaggerate. I have no issue with man cave btw. I wonder if they ever call the Make Up Department, the Women’s Make Up Deoartment?
[doublepost=1539956601][/doublepost]
Exactly. Keep in mind too that the term "man" when used in most of these contexts certainly DOES include women. Its just faster to say "mankind" or chairman of the board. "mankind" = human beings of both sexes!
I have to believe men’s number one standing at the beginning of civilization had something to do with this, as in who was in charge back then? Agree or disagree, these originations are all sexist in origin. You women do know you were created using a man’s rib, don’t you! ;) I say forget tradition, in a modern society, we can alter some of our our terms to better reflect equality of the sexes, without being offended? However, I’m not making a case to remove all sexual labels. Men’s/Women’s Debt makes perfect sense.
[doublepost=1539956823][/doublepost]
I cannot stand the abuse of the English language to justify equality. But I'm ok with being the "chairman" of a committee. There is no reason to change perfectly good words that have been in use for decades or centuries. New words? That's another story. But stop all the rest of this nonsense.
Not picking any fights with a friend, but I would prefer to think of you as a Chairwoman. :) As a rule, my guess is most women would not appreciate being called a man, or vice a versa.

AlliFlowers

Contributor
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Not picking any fights with a friend, but I would prefer to think of you as a Chairwoman. :) As a rule, my guess is most women would not appreciate being called a man, or vice a versa.
Yea, but the word itself...it's kinda like being a man as opposed to saying homo sapiens. The word man is entrenched in our language, from mankind to human. Let's not change them.

I once had a conversation with someone who wanted to say "humankind" instead of "mankind." I had to point out "man" was still in "huMAN." Point taken.

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC

I’ll just reiterate what I said in this thread yesterday. The only evidence that anyone has complained about the old product name is the statement of a company spokesperson, and the only reason the company would even talk about this is because they believe that the name change will improve sales. There is no indication anywhere else that material numbers of people objected to the old name. Everyone complaining about the name change is just buying into the Kimberly-Clark marketing plan for this product. They are generating a controversy where none really exists for free publicity, and you’re falling for it.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ll just reiterate what I said in this thread yesterday. The only evidence that anyone has complained about the old product name is the statement of a company spokesperson, and the only reason the company would even talk about this is because they believe that the name change will improve sales. There is no indication anywhere else that material numbers of people objected to the old name. Everyone complaining about the name change is just buying into the Kimberly-Clark marketing plan for this product. They are generating a controversy where none really exists for free publicity, and you’re falling for it.
You are saying this is a knee jerk reaction to this kind of change. I’m sure marketing departments in companies do research and are happy to change a name if they think it will improve sales. I do not lament there is one less product with the name man stapled on it.

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
You are saying this is a knee jerk reaction to this kind of change. I’m sure marketing departments in companies do research and are happy to change a name if they think it will improve sales. I do not lament there is one less product with the name man stapled on it.

Oh, I agree that the name is dumb, but I think they decided to change it based on market research, not on any groundswell of complaints.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2016
Hope you guys don’t mind me going off on a slight tangent here, but I recently heard something which gave me reason to pause....
We all know when the “right” goes “too far”, we can generally recognize it, and moderates call them out on it.
At what point has the “left” gone “too far”? And moderates call them out on it?

Both sides went too far in the 20th century....

(Might be a good discussion/debate in another thread?)

Last edited:
Reactions: CerebralX

Herdfan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2011
While I don't like the term "chairperson" as it doesn't roll off the tongue, simply shortening it to "chair" works fine.

CerebralX

macrumors 6502
I'm having a discussion on a forum of people who are likely from a whole range of viewpoints - I'm happy to engage with people who might have a different take on the matter. I didn't put the thread up wanting or expecting everyone to agree with me - this is where the vehement left go wrong on so very many things
The people who are borderline attacking you in this thread are very far-left ideologues who will quite literally defend any left-leaning idea. I've seen them in a lot of previous threads about Trump, feminists, race-related threads etc. always defending the left leaning side of the argument.

As someone who is a centrist with some left leaning and some right leaning viewpoints, I get attacked all the time as well. It's just a sad reflection of today's society really..

Trump could cure all cancers and they will still complain about some comment he made in private on a bus several decades ago.

Reactions: Falhófnir

Akrapovic

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
I've always kinda thought that these things targeted at men like that were odd. I'll use the term "offensive to men", but I don't really mean offensive, I just can't think of a better word right now. But it's like they think men won't buy tissues because they aren't manly things to buy. Man...my nose runs all the time, am I allowed some normal sized tissues? What about small men? Do they have to buy the girly ones? Do tall ladies have to buy man ones? This is way too complicated for me!

Best case is Pepsi Max. I'm too manly to buy a DIET Pepsi. Who'd want that? No sugar? On a diet!? That's not a MAN thing! I want a Pepsi MAX COOL POWER YEAH! It's advertised by a MAN jumping out of a PLANE doing AWESOME THINGS! Look, he has a skateboard! What a man! That's the drink for me because I'm a MAN. But I don't want any sugar.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
The people who are borderline attacking you in this thread are very far-left ideologues who will quite literally defend any left-leaning idea. I've seen them in a lot of previous threads about Trump, feminists, race-related threads etc. always defending the left leaning side of the argument.

As someone who is a centrist with some left leaning and some right leaning viewpoints, I get attacked all the time as well. It's just a sad reflection of today's society really..

Trump could cure all cancers and they will still complain about some comment he made in private on a bus several decades ago.
Not to change the subject, but are you arguing that we should forgive someone for confessing to sexual assault if they come up with a cure for cancer?

CerebralX

macrumors 6502
Not to change the subject, but are you arguing that we should forgive someone for confessing to sexual assault if they come up with a cure for cancer?
Could you link me to the exact quote of Donald Trump where he confesses to having committed sexual assault? Because the quote that I was referring to, he very vividly says
And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab them by the P----. You can do anything
I'd love for you to point out where he has committed sexual assault?

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
Could you link me to the exact quote of Donald Trump where he confesses to having committed sexual assault? Because the quote that I was referring to, he very vividly says I'd love for you to point out where he has committed sexual assault?
It’s interesting how Trump defenders always leave out the sentence that immediately preceded this quote: “I don’t even wait.” Trump was very clearly saying that he physically touches women without any prior consent and when he later said that “they let you,” he meant that they let him get away with it, not that they provided any sort of prior consent.

Akrapovic

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Could you link me to the exact quote of Donald Trump where he confesses to having committed sexual assault? Because the quote that I was referring to, he very vividly says I'd love for you to point out where he has committed sexual assault?
I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.

I'm not an American. I don't care about Trump and the mental politics you guys have going on. But he flat out says he does it and he gets away with it because he's a star. There's not much arguing about that particular point.