Fence sitter with couple of questions (profiles, contacts)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JohnTree, Jul 27, 2008.

1. JohnTree macrumors newbie

I've been following developments surrounding the 3G phone for some time, and I'm on the fence at the moment. So I'm looking for that last push - I need some encouragement to go from two devices (old Nokia 'candy-bar' phone and 30gig iPod 5g) in my front pocket down to just one.

I have two questions/issues that I haven't seen answers to here or elsewhere, and I was hoping for some resolution, just to make sure I have things clear before I jump in.

1) I believe I have this correct: for the iPhone, regardless of device or software update level, there are no more than [Edit:] two 'profile' options available: 'default', and silent. And while you can set different options to each of those profiles [Edit: only default/'Ring' is fully customizable], there is no means at this time (for non-jailbroken phones) to expand beyond those [Edit:] two total profiles.

This would mean that if I wanted to have a 'Desk' profile (moderate volume ringtone, no alerts for e-mails - since I'm sitting at my computer already), an 'Out of Office' profile (louder ringtone, alerts back on for e-mail), a 'Pocketed' profile (extra-loud ringtone, extra loud alert tone), a 'Meeting' profile, etc., etc. -- there is no way that an iPhone could accommodate me today.

This seems remarkably backwards...my ancient Nokia phone (and the two I had before it) could do multiple profiles, all of which could be selected by holding down a button for a given period (in its case, the power button). I use this all the time right now on my current phone, and it's a core function of my 'interface' with the phone. Do I have this right about the iPhone?

2) I would be setting up an Exchange account, as we use Outlook at work. From my reading, when you configure the Exchange account, if you opt to let it sync your Contacts, it will delete/overwrite or otherwise wipeout your existing Contacts.

What I'm wondering is: does this action stop with Contacts imported from other e-mail accounts, and/or those manually configured on the iPhone? Or would this setup actually cause the Contacts as stored on the SIM card to be wiped out as well?

I would find it hard to believe that by simply setting up an Exchange account, your entire SIM card list of contacts could be deleted, but that "all Contacts will be removed" statement I've read has confused and concerned me.

I appreciate any hints/explanations/headslaps you can direct my way. Thanks.

2. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

1. If this reason is important to you, then you have no reason to get an iPhone in the first place.
    2. It won't wipe your sim card contacts, as far as I have experienced.

3. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

For him it is a legitimate concern. Don't make him seem "unworthy" because he would like to have multiple ringing profiles....:rolleyes:

4. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

It takes no more than 3 seconds to adjust ring volume, about the same time it takes to change a profile.

5. dnguyen macrumors regular

Don't worry, even at max, the ring volume is not very loud at all (can be a good or bad thing i guess)

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It really isn't that loud.

At least it vibrates too.

7. JohnTree thread starter macrumors newbie

Since I (obviously) don't have an iPhone to try, can you tell me: how difficult is it to change both the ringtone level & the alert tone level in one go? Are they on the same page?

Also, if I wanted to swap out ringtones and alert tones on the fly, is that in a different area, or also in the same spot? Sorry if these are basic questions.

8. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Ring tone is easy, but I guess alert tone is much harder. I don't think I actually used my Nokia profile beyond just the vibrate and ring.

Remember those days when vibrate requires a 30 dollar battery upgrade?

But seriously, if having profile is this important to you, I don't think iPhone would be a good fit for you.

9. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

yes, ringtone level and alert are on the same page.
    and ringtone is on that page as well.

you can change all of the alerts just by moving over the little slider. its really easy.

Attached Files:

10. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

That page is about 3 clicks away. I was referring to the ringtone level on the left side of the phone.

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Um...

I just use the button on the side.

Silent and vibrate or tone and vibrate. Seems a hassle to configure anything more.

But if you're looking for more, an iPhone isn't for you.

12. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

I'm about to get my iPhone 3G. Can I use the custom ringtones I have made in Garage Band for my alert tones or can you only use the pre-installed ones??? What are the options with that?

P.S. #1...... Dude seriously??? I didn't even know phones could do that, and I have never heard of anyone that cares lol. What happened to ring and silent?? lol geeze.

13. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

1) I wish - I can't wait for someone to build an AppStore app that does this and have profiles which can be automagically switched on a schedule and reading the calendar entries. I had this on my HTC Tytn II via the PhotoContacts Pro application which is superb and meant that profiles, once set-up, were fire-and-forget. For example between the hours of 23:00 and 06:30 the only people who could phone me were those in the "Family" group of my Exchange/Outlook contacts - all other calls went straight to voicemail and no voicemail/text alert sounds played. Good for keeping asleep when you want to. The other major benefit of PhotoContacts Pro is that incoming calls displayed the caller's picture full screen - very useful on a WM6 phone if you need reading glasses, but iPhone isn't so bad at that:)

2) As said above I think the SIM contacts are preserved.

14. jslater macrumors newbie

Well, you're not alone.

I found this thread while searching for the "profiles". I got an iPhone yesterday and am slightly irritated such a basic (in my mind) feature is missing. Oh well.

I appreciate that some of you don't see the need for it but everyone's circumstances are different. I want a quiet, sensible ringtone for when my phone is on my desk at work, and a loud, obnoxious one when I'm not. I want a night-time one where it's very quiet and the vibrate is off, and email checking is disabled so I don't get woken up at 3am by a bloody iTunes receipt again!

Sadly it's just one of the features I didn't even ask about because it seemed so obvious to me that they'd be there. Here's hoping Apple do a bit of catching up on "normal" phone features in future firmware versions! I'm very pleased with it as a gadget, but as a phone it's certainly got some bits missing...

15. chrisparr macrumors regular

Oh dear, feel good up there :rolleyes:

16. JohnTree thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, just to try close this out (on my part): I'm starting to wonder if the bit that I posted at the top ("...there are no more than three 'profile' options available: 'default', vibrate and silent. And while you can set different options to each of those profiles...") is wrong.

From the screenshot that afireintonto posted, I'm wondering if I even had that part right. Was there more below the screen view (that you would 'flick up' to see) to cover other settings for a different option, or are "Silent" and "Ring" the only two states for the iPhone? And for 'Silent', the only option is to turn on or off the Vibrate feature (no further customization is possible)?

17. jslater macrumors newbie

There are only the two options. Scrolling down just reveals a couple more settings for the Ring "profile". (Sent Mail, Calendar Alerts, Lock sounds, Keyboard Clicks).