Festive Satanic statue added to Illinois statehouse

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 6, 2018.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-c...MCiVLLnPnlrXYrPFcCR4iVI_La0qEGX7b4viwiJW_p7J8
    [​IMG]
    hope it stays w/o being disturbed.

2. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I read on this group a bit and I'm sure the word "satanic" will rattle a lot of evangelicals, but if the group had a political name they'd be written off as liberals and this statue wouldn't even make news.

3. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Cool.

The church of Satan is wildly progressive compared to certain other organizations....

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well that Christian tree has Pagan roots... (pardon the pun)

5. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

I believe in freedom of religion, and if State houses are going to allow Xmas displays, they have to give equal time to all religions represented among our citizens, yes? I would prefer that no religion be endorsed specifically by our centers of government.

Personally, I don’t buy into any organized religious dogma, but why would anyone worship Satan? In Christian documents, he is the fallen angel, who temps us to be bad, who brings out the worst in us. Was Satan given a bad rap?

I’d love to hear an alternate explanation about what Satan represents. :D
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2018 ---
    My understanding is that Pagans more or less worshiped Nature and in an attempt to lure Pagans into Christianity, a variety of Pagan holidays were usurped by Christianity and given a new wrapper, such as Christmas, and All Saints Day.

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Now let them add a nice Saturnalia display – the one that presents an exaggerated celebration of, uh, fertility.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

8. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Well you can legally get your photo taken wearing Pastafarian religious garb for your Drivers License now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

The name is a misnomer, they are nontheistic. Really, just a non-religious progressive group who believes strongly in separation of church and state.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Well played, sir. Well played.

I totally agree on this. If we have to put up with Westboro, and this temple hasn't done a single thing wrong, I'm all for it and then some.

Dammit, You beat me to it! :D But I have to agree. I'm calling full on outcry until a bowl of pasta carbonara with extra bacon is added to that statehouse! :p

... and garlic bread on the side. Gotta fend off the vampires and those that worship Twilight. :D

BL.

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Given the reported behavior of the revered Jehovallah, it is difficult to imagine that the adversary could be any less of a capricious psychopath than the divine one. Six of one, half dozen of the other. And in daily life, it seems like the devil is more hands-on, so why not supplicate to him, since he seems to take a more direct approach in our lives.

He might be worshipped as the other side of the deity, in a Jekyll/Hyde sort of way: one is just honoring the same entity from a different perspective. Or one could approach it from the direction that the Abrahamic religions teaching that we are all inherently bad is faulty theology, that we should understand our difficult feelings and work with them, rather than rejecting them outright, thus making wholer persons of ourselves.

There are probably people who use Satanism as cover for being scumbags, but there are also probably people who form it into a positive theology. Abrahamists just use Satan as a dumping ground for stuff that bothers them (encompassing all “wrong” belief, including other Abrahamic sects), which seems non-productive in the broader picture.

12. Mousse macrumors 68020

Mousse

From bible study ages ago, I remember that Satan means "adversary" or "one who opposes" in Hebrew. Something like that. I guess people who worship Satan do so mainly to spite Christians, since most of us won't shaddap about Jesus being our Lord and Savior. I've been tempted many times to smack fellow Christians for being too pushy. But according to the Bible (Matthew 28:19), they are in the right and I'm wrong. I guess I'm a bad Christian.:oops:

13. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

They don't worship him. The Church of Satan doesn't believe that Satan or any other deity exists.

They picked the name because they want to be purposely adversarial to the Abrahamic religions. However, unless they are complete idiots, surely they must have known that people will forever mistake them for Satan worshippers.

14. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

My suggestion is they not affiliate themselves in name with the Christian boogeyman. ;)
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2018 ---
    Exactly. Is like picking a fight? ;)

15. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I'm not a big fan of religions that exist purely out of spite, but I understand their point. Freedom of religion does not only apply to Christianity.

16. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

I recall when my home state of Arkansas went with the more traditional goat-headed statue of Baphomet. The Illinois statue is more subtle, but quite intriguing.