few questions about my new mac (snowy monitor when first booted up)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by davelanger, Sep 16, 2010.

1. davelanger macrumors 6502a

My first question is, the first time i booted up, the monitor went snowy, then clear, then snowy, then it had no picture. So I unplugged the monitor and plugged it back in again and it seems to be ok now. is this going to be a program or was it hopefully a one time glitch. Does that mean the graphics card could be faulty?

My other question is, can you no longer double click on the top of the window to minimize the window? The last os i was on was 10.4.11 where you could do this. Was this take out?

Oh yeah and is the hd loud when its new and writing to the hd?
    It kind of sounds like a rattle.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

System Preferences > Appearance > Check box for Double-click window to minimize it

3. davelanger thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I'll throw another thanks on that, that's been bugging me ever since I upgraded to snow!

5. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

Tripple thanks?

I couldn't figure that out, so during a conversation with a "genius" I asked how to do this, he said it was "removed" in Snow Leopard.

6. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

That's one of the first things I do after a new install or even when I have to get onto someone else's computer.

You'd think it would be set by default. :confused:

7. foodle macrumors 6502

Is the "snow" multi-colored? This may be a problem with the DHCP implementation that leads to the video signal not getting properly decrypted, hence the "snow" output. There was a similar problem with one of the first generation Aluminum Macbooks that was fixed with a firmware update.

8. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

It seems like a lot of people on the Apple.com discussion forum are having this problem, too. There generally seem to be a lot of problems with the new graphics cards.. snowy/static images, displays not waking up, etc. and mine is whining. I hope Apple fixes this soon. I really can't get a break with Apple products recently.. I've had a lot of issues and replacement / return adventures with other Apple products lately. Longing for those good old days when I bought an Apple product and it would be perfect technically and cosmetically- full stop.

9. davelanger thread starter macrumors 6502a

It only happened once when I first booted, and it only went to snow/static before the screen went black. It was weird, because the picture was all snowy, then clear, then snowy, then i went black. I thought I just didnt plug in the monitor well enough.

Someone youtubed it happened to them as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIo8IK1VRro

So I just unplugged the monitor and plugged it back in again. And it has not happened since but I did have the dreaded black screen of death maybe I should call it, after rebooting for an update.

That is the issue everyone is getting I believe. I have a call with apple tomorrow to go over this.

10. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Although I do have a different issue with the graphics card, I have put the Mac Pro to sleep several times (or it went to sleep by itself) and the screen has always come back up without issues.

11. donw35 macrumors regular

donw35

I get the snow too, it the monitor, I have three Samsung 24" monitors and they all do it when ever I turn off the monitor for the night, turning them on and off clears them for uses.

12. davelanger thread starter macrumors 6502a

It can't be the monitor, I have an apple display. It has to be the card.
    This same monitor never did it on my PPC mac

13. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

On the snow thing--this happens with me when coming out of sleep. I just turn the monitor off then back on and everything is fine and dandy...