Few ?'s for those of you with Dual Hard Drives

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rlkv011, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Rlkv011 macrumors regular

Hi,

I just purchased a SSD drive and love it. Very fast, and silent best upgrade I've ever done. I want to install the optibay or a generic alternative, (any recommendations?) so I can have dual hard drives. I am probably going to go with a traditional 500 gb 7200 rpm drive. This second drive is going to be strictly for storage.

My questions are:

1. For those of you with an SSD as your OS disc and a standard drive as your storage disc, does the standard drive make a lot of noise?

2. Did you notice a major decrease in battery life?

3. Is it possible to have iTunes on your SSD and your music/video collection on the standard drive?

2. Yakob macrumors member

1. Only as much noise as it normally would if it was alone (i have the SSD in the optibay and HDD in it's normal spot)... one thing to note though is that I don't believe there is a way to sleep the drives independently of each other in OS X so the HDD used for storage will run at all times unless you unmount it.

2. I personally didn't see a difference at all in battery life... i'm sure it's there but it's unnoticeable.

3. Not sure, some one else will have to chime in.

3. mcfly2, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

mcfly2 macrumors member

It doesn't make any more noise than any other laptop with a spinning drive, but you'll definitely notice it if you've gotten used to the silence of the laptop with an SSD.

No, I haven't noticed any difference.

Yes, but off the top of my head I can't tell you how, but a search will yield many results.

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

5. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

6. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Please post back if this works! Very keen not to have to keep both drives mounted, Cheers:D

7. calvy macrumors 65816

or you can do what I do, and just delete Music from your home folder and create a symlink to your data drive. In my case, I did:

$ ln -s /Volumes/Data/Music Music

And iTunes happily reads and writes to my disk based drive. Same with my Pictures folder and iPhoto.