Fewer teen suicides linked to legalization of same sex marriage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Feb 21, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Interesting, but not surprising. When you give people respect and stop treating them as second class, things become less hopeless and bleak for everyone.

http://fortune.com/2017/02/21/same-sex-marriage-teen-suicides/

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Good. Let people live how they want. I never understood why marriage was governments business in the first place.

4. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I think it was to sort out matters of child custody and court matters like inheritance easier. It's not unique to the United States. Countries the world over keep records on their people for such matters.

5. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Because without the SS ruling, there was a lot of BS floating around in terms of after life as MTS pointed out. The was also a medical custody issue should something arise. Besides, this news isn't hard to comprehend. Teens are very impressionable. So it makes a lot of sense that they'd feel more welcome in this world thanks to the ruling.

6. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Life is about acceptance and this stat is welcome news.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well that makes sense, when people feel they are equal to their brothers and sisters I'm sure it has a huge impact on mental health.

I imagine with myself in my home country, if they introduced a law that said people must only marry with those who share the same hair colour. I'd feel gutted and question what the purpose of separating consenting adults is.

8. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

That is what Jesus said.
    Many, many, many times.

When will (so called) Christians finally understand His message?

9. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

Some Christians have a different understanding of any message. Actually, that applies to a lot of religion and many of its followers.

10. tshrimp, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Just wondering if you could supply a link? I thought the bible was against homosexuality? Isn't there something in there about men not laying with other men? I even thought many if not most homosexuals hated the bible because of this as well as has a disdain for Christians in general.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

The bible flip flops more than a politician. Turn the other cheek.....an eye for an eye....

12. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

It typically flip flops when misinterpreted. Your examples are..well....examples :)

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It is however pretty clear on who should be doing the judging and who should refrain from it. Yet the holy rollers love to delve in to other peoples lives and tell them and everyone else what so and so is doing wrong and how they're damned for it.

14. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Leviticus 18 and 20
    Those are the only 2 passages that come close to describing homosexuality, and even then it applies ONLY to men.

To emphasis, ONLY to men. there is NO passage that applies to women with woman sexual activities (but there are other non-sexual passage to activities women not allowed to do.)

Also emphasis, this is OLD Testament of the Bible, pre-Jesus.
    Jesus specifically said that the old laws shall be rendered obsolete (Hebrew 8.13), meaning Leviticus should be discarded.

Another myth:
    No where in Bible is a prohibition on anal sex.
    Sodom and Gomorrah does not mean anal sex, it a prohibition on rape.

Another example on twisting of Bible:
    Mary Magdalene is not a prostitute. There is a reference to Magdalene in Luke that is close to passage about a "loose woman", and for various reasons tied two separate people as one. Modern theologians now roundly say it is 2 people both in context and grammar.

Please read the actual text of the Bible objectively (not regurgitated biased opinions from power craving zealots (there are host preachers however)).
    Then consider what the overwhelming subject of the Bible deals with (love, respect).

15. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Not surprised by this, just coming out is hard enough as it is for them.

The only people that have an issue with this are the Bible thumpers who think you can pray away the gay through intervention, sorta like our V.P. Mr. Pence.

16. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Unfortunately that is very true.

Mohamed understood how a religious leader could use his position for personal gain, thus the Quran forbids such and only has a "guide". Unfortunately it did not take long to find ways to work around that prohibition and become a "pope" in Islamic world.

Every religion has those who exploit it, the elixir of controlling vast crowds or wealth is too powerful.
    Now, I will say religion has a place, but not to detriment of logic (ie: scientific principals) and law.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2017 ---
    Sounds like a bunch of teenage girls criticizing the weaker members of their peer group.

17. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Response Inline.

18. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

On a tangent but about your responses.

Here is the main reason I cannot believe in the Christian God. A lot from the bible shows how vengeful he is. Destroying cities due to sin, wiping out everyone with a massive flood.... hence the term "God fearing man"

Yet, we kill (and in a really horrific way) his only son, and he's like "meh". Just makes no sense to me.

19. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Sounds like you are judging the "holy rollers" ;)

20. Nefilim Suspended

Sounds good at first but are suicides by those who cannot handle the government-enabled deviancy accounted for in those statistics too?!?

And what does the Quoran or Dianetics say about same-sex marriage???

21. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I've drawn a blank.

What exactly does that mean?

22. zin macrumors 6502

Useless study. The authors say they could not control for individual socioeconomic status or changes in state-wide statuses, such as religious affiliation or acceptance of same-sex relationships. Don't get me wrong, this news is good. Very good. But the scientist in me is not so agreeable with the assertion that their study provides 'evidence' of their claim when they couldn't control for things such as poverty, for instance.

Bad science, great headlines...

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Are people seriously killing themselves because same-sex marriage was legalized? I mean, fewer is better, but it's still happening?

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Not at all, just merely pointing out that they need to STFup, live their life they way they see fit and keep their religion out of the face of others and where it belongs, which is in their home and church, nowhere else.

25. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

That's what I don't understand. I don't see the correlation. It's great that less people are killing themselves but were gay teens really committing suicide because they weren't legally allowed to get married in their later years? Seems strange to me.