FFS - Fix ***** Spotlight!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wankey, Aug 10, 2009.

1. wankey macrumors 6502a

This is really really starting to annoy me now. I'm watching a movie, and suddenly out of no where, it starts stuttering. It stops playing, misses frames, sound gets off sync with video, overall kills the movie experience.

Checking activity monitor, I see mds.app going crazy thrashing the hard drive. What the heck Apple. I don't need spotlight updated every 10 minutes. Is there a way to set times where it scans my computer? I rarely even use spotlight, most of the time I use it to launch programs. Plus, most recent files I really don't need to search since I know where I put them.

Please Apple, add some more options for spotlight for heaven's sake. I looked into spotlight options and it's a pathetic splatter of simply selecting which folders you want it to *display*. I want to make it only index at twilight times, or only if I'm not using the data heavy programs like the video player.

I don't really want it turn it off though, as I use it sometimes and it's been helpful in finding things. I don't know why Snow Leopard doesn't address this, since it seems like the same interface that's going in 10.6.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

Yeah this is a big problem that I've come across before, but mds is not an application, it's just an executable :p
    I've found that disabling Spotlight from the menubar helps calm this problem down, I'm just waiting for SL.

4. wankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

These are not the problems I am looking for.

I just feel Spotlight needs to be more intelligent. If I am playing a movie, it shouldn't be trying to look for anything. Furthermore it shouldn't be searching for things at like 10pm at night when I'm using the computer. Why doesn't it search when the mouse is idle? Hmm, I guess it does, since watching movie is pretty much idling the Mac.