Fiancé wants my computer (13" rMBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fthree, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Fthree macrumors 6502a

So I just bought a 13 MBPR late 13 model. My fiancé is trying to get me to get her one so I'm itching to upgrade and give her my 13 or get her an air 13. What do I do? (Use it for work school, light gaming, music) I am a speed lover! The faster the better! Let me know what you think I should do? (And yes I'm thinking the 15 for 1999)

2. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

If you've got a need for speed, what about a Supercomputer?
    [​IMG]

:)

Barney

3. leman macrumors 604

Why won't she buy a computer herself? anyway, if you want fastest, go for the maxed out model. The 1999 one is not fast enough.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You probably have the fastest model, unless you go with the 15" rMBP. I'd say the 13" MBA is a step down, due to the screen, and the ULV chipset.

Simple - a happy wife is a happy life. While he may not be married yet, he's close enough ;)

5. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Yeah happy fiancé =.....

I say the MBPR 13 of mine because she loves the screen on mine but really she could do well with a air 13. I just want to give her mine because I have that itch to upgrade to the 15 for the i7 and the bigger screen but am trying to debate if I'm making a wise choice.

6. racer1441 macrumors 68000

That's the worst relationship advice ever.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Air vs rmbp isn't much of a difference in performance unless you do in fact tax something like cpu or graphics beyond the capability of the air, which can handle all trivial and some non-trivial tasks. The main thing you get with the rmbp is a significantly better display.

8. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Go for the 15"! Quad core i7 with 128mb L4 cache and better graphics vs dual core i5

9. B's iPhone macrumors member

B's iPhone

No, it isn't. He's quite right.

10. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

If it's your rMBP screen that she loves then she won't be satisfied with an Air.
    Rocky relationship waters ahead.

11. rex450se macrumors regular

You must not be married.

Victor

12. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

Went last night and looked at the 15 it's huge lol. Nice but still on the fence about it. I run a small business and the extra screen space would be a plus when I'm multitasking from word/pages excel and the internet.

13. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

The air is nice for her also but I thought if I don't go with the 15 I'll prolly get her the 4gb MBPR

14. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I don't think he was replying to the fact he wants to make her fiancé happy, but rather to what it takes to supposedly make her happy.

I know it's not everybody who would like to have its SO expect a specific gift, and feel the pressure to deliver for the sake of "happiness".

I personally think happiness is more easily achieved through low expectations. That a couple would be happier with small gifts as surprises than big gifts that are expected/requested.

But that's just me, and I'm young, naive and definitely not married. Perhaps that's what racer1441 had in mind.

15. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

you should buy her a dozen handbags and a new ferrari while you're at it...

16. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

She could honestly careless about big gifts if I walked up to her with an expensive handbag she would be like wtf her getting a computer would be ridiculous in her opinion because that would be a huge gift. I'm lucky enough to have a beautiful not crazy normal girl

17. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You could get her a baseline rMBP, or maybe to last for a longer time, a rMBP with 2.4GHz with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD.

18. Idefix macrumors 6502

think of it as giving her an engagement ring?

19. accountforit macrumors 6502a

If you really want the 15", and you plan to actually get your fiancé a Macbook of some sort, then I would just buy the 15". You will be happier in the end seeing as that is what you really want.

Think of buying a refurbished unit, or even used, to save yourself some cash.

There is a huge difference using the 15" over the 13". On paper the 2 inches don't seem to mean much, but in real world usage they mean a lot.

20. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

OMG! At first I thought you were considering a 1999' model, as in the year!

21. theromz macrumors regular

The size difference in store might be striking but believe me I have switched between the 2 and the physically size is not much, its a few inches wider and longer, still the same thickness and a pound heavier. If you need the extra screen space the difference is well worth it.

I would recommend maybe picking up the 15" first and using it for a few days before you decided if the size suits you well, then if all goes well give her your 13". If you don't like it then just return it and buy her a 13".

Maybe get a refurb model to save some dollars.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-20ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

22. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Agreed.

You can't buy happiness.

23. thekb macrumors 6502a

Sounds like extortion! :D

24. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

Have you considered sticking with a 13" and adding an external monitor?

25. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Bingo. Anyone in a relationship based on what you buy or don't buy the other person is being used at best.

----------

Not sounds like it is.