Fiat and Chrysler - the birth of an automotive behemouth

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by geese, Jan 20, 2009.

1. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Thought I'd throw this here, could save Chrysler's ass:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7839542.stm

Edit: could a mod please change the title to something that makes sense? It was meant to be 'birth' not 'first'

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Oh dear. Just when Fiat were emerging again as a good car manufacturer.

Chrysler helped to ruin Mercedes-Benz cars for years, please don't do the same for Fiat :(

3. nplima macrumors 6502a

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

So Chrysler are after Fiats fuel efficient engines, sounds like a good deal to me...

5. nplima macrumors 6502a

I hope they adopt the 1.3 JTD engine to all Chrysler models so we find out whether fuel efficiency is *that* important for US consumers :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JTD

6. geese thread starter macrumors 6502a

geese

I dont reckon it'd be a bad alliance. It could possibly lead to Alfa Romeo developing rear-wheel drive platforms along with Chrysler, something that Alfa is dying for. And Chrysler might inject a bit of Italian style into their cars.

Maybe Dodge will try and muscle up the Fiat Panda and sell it in the US. That'd be quite amusing.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I can only imagine the look on the old guys of the Chrysler board when they realised they were going to have to give up over a 3rd of their beloved all American car firm in exchange for what boils down to some designs on small Euro car engines.

8. Theophany macrumors 6502

Theophany

I own a brand new Fiat Punto 1.9TDI, absolutely fantastic car, hopefully this means that Chrysler (and by extension the other manufacturers in Detroit) stop making godawful cars and getting bailed out for it.

Learn from the Japanese!

9. bartelby macrumors Core

They already have one developed. The 169 is meant to be RWD.

I see the Chrysler / FIAT thing to be bad for FIAT.

10. garybUK Guest

garybUK

reckon they'd sell the Fiat 500 over there? :p

the alliance did state that Fiat would not fund Chrysler, so what if they go belly up? Just an expensive lesson for Fiat?

11. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

This could be good, RWD for Alfa, Jeep can be Fiats 4x4 sales - the one thing that they really lack. Hopefully Fiat can bring some european refinement to the Dodge and Chrysler ranges so that they sell a little better over here.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

There's no need for the alliance, Chrysler. I'll tell you Fiat's secret: they put smaller sized engines in many of their fuel efficient vehicles. ;)

Hopefully Fiat gets something out of this. I don't see any value in Chrysler (worst of the Big 3, IMO), but 35% of almost nothing isn't a huge risk to take on Chrysler, I suppose. If Fiat loses, they won't lose much.

The Dodge Panda? *shakes head*

13. geese thread starter macrumors 6502a

geese

I wouldnt be so pessimistic - it'll enable Fiat to sell Alfa over there much easie. I dont reckon its a 2 way engineering deal. What have the Fiat group got to gain from Dodge/Chrysler in engineering?

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Learning how not to do things is just as important sometimes as knowing how to do things. So in that respect a hell of a lot :D

15. bartelby macrumors Core

Of course, if FIAT learn how to make electrical systems that are less italian then that would be nice.

16. geese thread starter macrumors 6502a

geese

Chysler/Dodge engineering isnt so bad is it?

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm no expert, but last time I checked most US cars (perhaps more specifically trucks) had the most horribly inefficient engines, and they were all built on the same few crappy chassis, with brakes that don't really work :p All that before you actually get on to how well they're put together.

Given the state they're currently in, it's safe to say they have a lot to learn in all aspects.

You could all learn a lot from the British auto industry of course...already long dead :p :rolleyes:

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- it isn't. I see this as a good thing- Chrysler's great aesthetics and Fiat's quality. I think it'll be good. I've owned three Chryslers and they were fantastic cars.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know. I got into a new-ish Ford, and the interior felt pretty well put together.

Doesn't say anything about reliability though. I say we need to give these new models an entire decade to see if their reliability has really improved (as some people claim), although most people here seem happy to defend them if their own Ford/GM/Chrysler has lasted a staggering 6-7 years without issue.

20. bartelby macrumors Core

:confused:

oxymoron?

21. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'd say Ford have a distinct advantage as they're successful outside of the US. Their European cars have been very good for quite a number of years now, frequently ranking high in consumer surveys.

If Ford US want to, they already have it in them to make well built good value economic cars.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think their cars look great- Crossfire, Viper, Challenger, 300m. Feel free to disagree, but I think those cars are awesome looking.

23. bartelby macrumors Core

I'll give you the Viper, it is bloody lovely.

But the 300?
    It's a box with wheels...

24. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yeah, the Viper looks good, though actually I prefer the older models.

The Crossfire is so so, though even that is just an old, not very good Merc SLK under the hood.