Fiat Chrysler may end Mexico output if Trump tariff too high: CEO

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Jan 13, 2017.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Making American great again, one automobile factory at a time. It's little wonder that the American working-class voted for Trump.

Workers of the world--I mean nation--united, and they voted for Trump.

3. cube macrumors G5

Guess what: US-made cars are too expensive for Latin America.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Let them ride donkeys.

5. cube macrumors G5

Mexico is not the only country in Latin America with car factories.

And not all brands are from the US.

Besides that many people around the world do not like American cars.

6. SteveJobzniak, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017

SteveJobzniak macrumors 6502

SteveJobzniak

This is going to be a great 8 years. Trump hasn't even taken office yet and has already produced more jobs than Obama (whose hostile policies and over-regulation did the opposite and drove companies out of America). I will always remember Obama's retort to Trump saying he would bring jobs to America; "What kind of magical wand do you have?". Actually, it's not a wand. It's a set of brass balls.

It really is refreshing to have a President that doesn't tolerate the legacy media's ******** anymore. All these ****ing idiots are too much, going around saying he's "not presidential" for getting upset and fighting back against their constant lies and slander, and for being passionate about the wellbeing of Americans. You know who else doesn't show emotion? Psychopaths. We've had enough of them running things.

Bye bye, Obama. You won't be missed. And your entire so-called "legacy" (mainly playing golf in-between abusing executive orders) will be undone within Trump's first week.

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

This is talking about cars manufactured in Mexico and being shipped to the US for the US market.

“It's possible, if the economic terms imposed by the U.S. administration on anything that comes into the United States that, if they’re sufficiently large that it would make the production of anything in Mexico uneconomical," said Marchionne. "We would have to withdraw. It is quite possible.”

8. cube macrumors G5

I was commenting on his hyperbole.

You must also take into account that going forward, people around the world might give more preference to non-US companies, especially in Latin America.

9. 0007776 Suspended

But if they need the cars being shipped to the US to have enough production to make it worth producing in Mexico at all then the US car companies will take a hit and their products will be uncompetitive outside the US. And there won't be many jobs coming back even if they move production, just a few to manage the automated assembly lines.

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think some people are misunderstanding the content of this message. (Actually, this doesn't surprise me in the least. Anyone who voted for or supported Donald Trump on economic grounds has to be an imbecile.)

When the Fiat CEO says:
    that doesn't mean that if Trump's tariffs were high enough they'd move the factories back to the USA. It means they wouldn't bother trying to sell (and certainly not build) cars here in the first place.

Trump and his voters getting things tragically and fundamentally wrong. Who would have guessed?

11. cube macrumors G5

Mexican normally have a theoretical edge over other Latin American cars because safety is not watered down.

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I'm no fan of most "American" cars either, however I do like cars that are made in the U.S.
    I own two Hondas that were both built in the U.S. (CR-V and an Odyssey)
    My CR-V was built in Ohio and my Odyssey was built in Alabama.
    The engines and transmissions for both of them were made in Tennessee.

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Source please? Because it isn't reality.

14. samiwas macrumors 68000

And people say the liberals here are the ones who call names and never get banned for it...

Closing the factory might have something to do with Trump. Now ask if they are moving that production to the US, or just stopping production. Therein lies the important detail.

So, are you invested in Kool-Aid?

Man...the birth certificate, Benghazi, and email people should have taken your advice. There was nothing there, but it didn't stop them from spending forever and millions looking.

Ooooohhh...they questioned his fitness for office. So did anyone with three brain cells to rub together.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2017 ---
    Bwaahahaha...I the this proves we have yet another tr....oh wait, can't say that word.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

You fell for the 4chan hoax since the document didn't come from 4chan. Didn't bother to read the rest since you were so arrogant to begin with :)

16. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

Seriously? Not that I condone name calling at all but it did not start here. And, as I've stated, this is a reason the liberals (I don't mean just on this forum) did not see this coming. Constantly being told that if you voted for Trump for one reason or another you are an idiot (read imbecile) would make anybody stop discussing it.

And, how many companies have to say they are moving jobs to America in some fashion before people start to credit Trump for at least creating an environment that promotes jobs? Seriously, over the past 8 years how many companies did this?? Now there's a new story every week and a new bunch of liberals reminding that Trump does not deserve any credit.

17. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Ha ha, and the rest of us with the usual compliment of 100billion brain cells we're glad to see Trump elected over Hillary.

(Don't get mad, you're the one who claims to have only 3 brain cells ;) )

18. SusanK macrumors 68000

Not impressed with Sergio by any stretch of the imagination.

19. juanm, Jan 13, 2017

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

First, let's see them actually move production to the US. Actions mean more than words. Then, let's see what kind of jobs, and how many. If it's just the very final assembly of foreign manufactured parts to circumvent the levy, you'll surely agree it's pointless?

In any case all these threats of taxes only provide a temporary relief, as they do nothing to make US manufacturing truly competitive in the long term. If it was as simple as imposing a tax Obama would have done it long ago. Have a look into Brazil's policies and car prices to understand how these laws can get very complicated very fast, please (and that's with much cheaper labor)

I think you are just living a honeymoon just like the one many lived with Obama, and you are in for a big (I mean huge) disappointment when reality catches up.

20. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

and this is why some people worldwide laugh at 'gringos'

21. juanm, Jan 13, 2017

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

No kidding. I remember when the MH370 crash happened how some here said things like "This is Pakistan that needs airplanes to do their own 911" because they were convinced that there are no airplanes in those countries, so of course, they needed to obtain one in order to hit the US.

Here's one of the articles that sustained the theory.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-...ussian-intelligence-3407468.amp?client=safari

By the way, notice how it's from The Mirror, one of the tabloids often quoted as source by Trump supporters to back their outlandish lies. A great example of lies passed as news, because some will only retain the headlines and gobble anything that reinforces their primitive vision of the world.

22. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Can we at least pretend to be civil here.

23. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

He isn't saying that Fiat Chrysler will stop selling vehicles to the United States, a country that accounts for more than half of their total sales volume.

He's saying that it wouldn't make financial sense to keep their Mexican plants open in the event of American tariffs because the vast majority of what they produce there is destined for the US, and it would be too expensive to retool those plants to produce vehicles intended for export elsewhere.

From the Financial Times:

They may or may not move production back to the United States (where some are still made), or to Canada, or to China, or to anywhere else. Not the point of the article either way.

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I have to laugh. Back when Obama and Bush were stimulating the economy and auto industry, other conservatives were panning the effort and people (including Romney) were saying just let the industry go bankrupt. Now all of the sudden it's a very different tune and the auto industry must not only be saved, they must be bullied into bringing more jobs back.

Funny how that all played out.

25. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

If it wasn't for Obama there wouldn't be a Chrysler for FIAT to buy and ergo no production to be moved to the US.....