Fictional TV presidents more popular than Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Mar 23, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

3. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

After seeing Air Force One, who _didn't_ want Harrison Ford to be the president?

:D

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

2020-2024 The presidential debates will include a dance competition :p

5. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I'd take Bartlet over Obama—or any other president—any day.

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I'd want Kevin Kline and Sigourney Weaver as Pres and First lady (hell I'd even like Ripley as Pres and Kevin as First ... uh lord(?))

Though I'd suspect them to get chewed up in the current political environment in real life.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I might write in "Pedro" come next election.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's harmless and let's them blow off a little steam.

Unfortunately, I am short on memory and high on apathy on this subject, so I'll leave the steam blowing to others.

It's therapeutic and it cleanses the pores.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed.

It strikes me as being indicative of a preference for living in a fantasy world, awash in delusion sometimes.

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I've always been partial to President David Palmer.

[​IMG]

12. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Ha, it's all good. The GOP has their first driver warming up the Clown Car.

Unlimited seating, no steering wheel, no brakes, and a spinnaker made from $100 dollar bills supplied by K Street, that take it wherever those special interests tell it to go . . . . while the usual suspects (Rick Perry, Santorum, Bachmann, Cruz, et al) fight over brief appearances in the drivers window as though they're driving the wreck.

The good people of the U.S. will have plenty of fictional characters to choose from in another year and a half.

Good times.

13. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Of course fictional presidents are more likable. The entire narrative can be built around making them likable. Fictional presidents don't need to do anything unpopular or make any really hard decisions without first turning to the audience and explaining why they are right.

A list of fictional characters that are probably also more likable than their real counterparts:
    • Spies
    • Teachers
    • Firefighters
    • Soldiers
    • Senators/Congressmen
    • Detectives
    • Police officers
    • Hell, anyone

P-Worm

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

No surprise. The White House is currently occupied by a more hapless version of President Merkin Muffley.

Attached Files:

15. vulcanvillalta macrumors 6502

Well surely we all remember the president from the wonderful movie, "Idiocracy?"

Attached Files:

16. FieldingMellish Suspended

I'd take Capt. Benjamin Willard over Bartlett.

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I don't know what this is supposed to tell us. Other than the fact that a) most polls are useless and b) the sort of people who answer polls are either idiots, or don't think very carefully about their answers.

Frank Underwood (from House of Cards) personally murdered at least two people. If thats the sort of character trait some people find appealing, then I don't want their support. And I'm not interested in their opinions on real political issues.

18. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG] they are not really dead, they were actors , Frank Underwood is really Kevin Spacey[​IMG]

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, yes, as long as it is harmless, or imaginative, escapism, and recognised as such, then - that is perfectly fine, and can be interesting to watch.

However, I'll admit to some unease when the barriers between fact and fiction seem to become a bit blurred, and when it seems to be that a real President, (faced with real issues) may be asked to consider conducting himself, or modelling himself, on how fictional characters behave or react in a fictional scenario or setting.

20. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Me too. I especially was uneasy when Ronald Reagan was President. And, I still am uneasy about it. People who should know better remember his presidency as if it were a fictional narrative, instead of the way it actually unfolded. Reagan did actually get extra credit for playing president. Frightening.

21. FieldingMellish Suspended

Frank Underwood has some Kaiser Sosé in him.

22. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This is such a stupid article that completely misinterprets film. Almost all of the Presidents described are protagonists, characters created specifically so the audience can root for them.

Even Frank Underwood is the protagonist and though he is an anti-hero, he's still at the center of the drama. David Palmer is second to Jack Bauer, but he's still presented as a smart, noble man.

But, what would happen if we used the same comparisons for other fictional presidents, like the cowardly Pres. McKenna of "X2: X-Men United" or the venal President Andrew "Andy" Boone from "Swing Vote." And, what about the President who was replaced by Zartan in "GI Joe?"

BTW, this list is great.

For example, Ronny Cox has played four different fictional presidents.

Moreover, this article proves that some percentage of Americans are nuts.

From the article:

Lastly, Pres. Obama's approval ratings are highly polarized.

24. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Did any of them play the banjo? ;)

25. FieldingMellish Suspended

There was a president as antagonist that I remember. Donald Moffat (playing the smug and pompous president) that Harrison Ford (as Jack Ryan) gave a compelling and crowd-pleasing dressing-down in the Oval Office at the conclusion of Clear and Present Danger.

Another was the unseemly and ineffective president acted by Gregory Itzen as President Charles Logan in 24's 5th season.