FIFA 12 really does kill my iphone 4s battery, lost 28% in over an hour..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Nov 8, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Is that normal? this is about the game BTW more than overall battery life as my battery life normally is very good.

Does this kill everybody's battery playing this?

2. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Infinity Blade is even worse on mine, the GPU on this thing it too powerful, but still battery life should be better.

3. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

I was playing it at work where there is zero 3G coverage, does this matter at all? would this be improved at home under wifi?

4. Los macrumors regular

It's pretty similar to my old iPhone 4. Infinity Blade or any 3D game would drain 25% of my battery in about an hour.

5. WalkingSnake macrumors member

Powerful, GPU-intensive 3D games are going to drain your battery quickly. That's normal for anything, not just iPhones.

6. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

So this is normal? I guess given this FIFA game requires alot of power given all the settings I shouldn't be too surprised. Does kind of put me off playing it at certain times now if it drains this much in a short period of time.

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

FIFA 12 is a massive game (1.3GB) and uses the GPU quite well. Nothing surprising here. Also zero 3G probably means your phone was constantly searching for a data connection to link back with Game Centre.

8. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yeah

thanks for your feedback

Be interesting what it is like when on wifi.

9. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Anybody who has FIFA on the ipad..is the battery the same?

10. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Probably worse.

Also, in response to your original post, the fact that you have no 3G coverage is probably making the phone constantly searching for service and that alone can cripple battery life but when combined with the fact that you're playing a graphics-intensive game can definitely be explicit of your high battery usage.

11. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

FIFA is a great game.

When played on my 4S, I experience a drop in battery life just a bit worse than yours.

Luckily I have the game on my Samsung GII and have no such problems.

However to be fair to Apple it's important to note than Android is designed for games & Apple doesn't seem to be.

Therefore the Samsungs a great smartphone for playing them. I often get stuck in airports, I'm thrilled to have lots of games & good battery life.

Especially with my Samsung since it will play my favorite flash games.

If Steve Jobs didn't hate Adobe I believe the iPhone would be good for games, but it's not. In fact that one of the reasons I always choose to travel with my excellent and very fun Android.

12. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

13. BainthaBrakk macrumors newbie

Hmm, I have a SG2 as well as an iPhone. I would say they drain similar amounts of juice when playing highend (phone) games...

14. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I imagine an older Ipod touch would drain the battery in an hour to be honest that's probably why Fifa 12 only supports newer devices.

Pro Evo 12 works on older devices though.

But yes a 25% battery drain is expected with a game like this. You could compare it to someones Iphone 4 or an app which has less 3D graphics?

But the chances are people are reading too much into Iphone 4S battery issues.

15. gloryunited macrumors 6502

Anandtech's review said the 4S will last around 3 hours for 3D gaming. It should be normal.

16. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i completed asphalt 6 and it seemed like it drained more than 25% an hour. it was very battery intensive.

17. andross77 macrumors regular

You "had no such problems" on your SGS2 because it's GPU is HALF as powerful. not because it's a better phone. not because android is made for games. not because it can play flash.

Your SGS2 drains less battery playing Fifa 12 because the GPU in it is WEAK compared to the A5!

just had to correct this (not sure if fanboy or not)....

18. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

The flying simulation games I have on mine are also battery drainers. They get the iPhone hot also. I don't know if this is the case where the apps haven't been updated to take advantage of the 4S, or if it's the same battery issue that everyone's facing, or something else entirely. I'd definitely like it fixed though! Not so fun playing a game like that with it being connected to the power outlet.

19. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

You realize the GPU in the SGII pails in comparison to the GPU that is in the 4S? That's why you were experiencing better battery life. And the ability to use flash correlates to battery life? really?

And android is designed for games? Is that why Apple is marketing the iPod Touch as the best mobile gaming experience that is outselling the DS and PSP?

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Debatable is any "game" on iOS is great

Makes sense, apps that requier constant updates to display and taxing the processors will use more battery life.

Luckily I have a PS3/P/2, Wii and Gamecube so I can play actual games without a severe battery hit.

I'm not really sure what that means, they're both phones. It's really the devs job to optimize the software, it's like saying that graphically good games can't come out on the Wii, which clearly isn't the case.

Where is the "therefore" coming from there?

Oh, flash games. I thought you were talking about things that wouldn't kill battery life, not buggy, poorly coded software.

I'm REALLY confused about this one. SJ (RIP) had good reason to hate Adobe, and I'm not sure that Adobe has anything to do with the multitude of great games I play on consoles. Although, you've already been touting flash games as great, so I'm not sure what I can say to respond to that. If you think McDonalds is the best food around I'm not inviting you over to a BBQ to try and change your mind.

21. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Anybody have real racing 2? How much does that lose battery wise?

22. SL4VE macrumors 6502

quite a bit, similiar figures to the above but on the 4s it is exceptionally good and the graphics are mind blowing for a phone

23. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

It's graphic intense that's why, I've been playing NBA 2k12 and my goodness...my battery only lasts 1.5hrs :S

24. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Exactly.

People drive me crazy who post threads like these, especially those, "Why does my 4s get really warm/hot?" threads...

It's a powerful device people, it's a computer, it will get hot