Figured out why batt life is so bad 2010 i7 15", Gmail forces Nvidia no matter what!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nimski62, Apr 25, 2010.

1. nimski62 macrumors regular

http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus/

Install that app and it puts a nifty "i" or "n" on top of the screen to let you know what card is currently running.

Gmail in safari no matter what, forces the 330m card to run cutting battery life in half. I REALLY wish we had an option to disable the damn 330m battery hog, this is a buncha crap.

2. lilo777 macrumors 603

What is "this is a buncha crap" to some might be "revolutionary technology" to others :D

3. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Just a note that on my 17" i7 going to Gmail in Safari does not force the 330m card to run. It stayed Intel for me as shown in both System Status and with that Cody Krieger utility. So it's not Gmail forcing it, it is a case of the system deciding when the integrated graphics are being taxed for whatever reason, and then switching. For me it does not get taxed, for you it does.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My GPU is stuck on the 330M if I open up the browser, so I gave up already. Also it forces the GPU if I plug in an external monitor, but I think that's expected.

5. ExcelonGT macrumors regular

this is a good find, as unfortunate as it is. Guess I'll have to resort to using Gmail in the native MAIL application in Mac OSx

6. nimski62 thread starter macrumors regular

I can't, I use the inbuilt video chatting quite a bit, and as far as I know there isn't any program that uses Google voice and video to chat.

Seriously it doesn't seem that hard to make an "off" button, even a third party person can do it I presume, PLEASE SOMEONE MAKE A 330m DISABLE!!

7. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Maybe thats your problem, the video chat requires something mroe than the "i"

?

8. joina macrumors member

why not buy a mb air then u wont even have the "crap" 330m on it

9. milomak macrumors member

seems very likely to be the case

10. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Good find on the app, I agree that it would be good to have 3 options for Auto, dedicated and integrated, however it's still much better than the log out log in option we had with the 9400/9600 combo.

11. wandrer2 macrumors member

Yes, somewhere in the "I found out..." thread (where bitninja introduced the awesome app mentioned above), someone established that installing the voice and video chat plugin causes Firefox and Safari to fire up the 330m once you enter gmail.

Gmail without that plugin is just fine.