File in external HDD reappears immediately after deleting (and refuses to be deleted)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by KSaebin, Jul 26, 2015.

1. KSaebin macrumors newbie

Lately my Seagate external HDD I use for my macbook pro (still on 10.6.8) has been asking me this whenever I want to delete any file off of it:

Are you sure you want to delete "(file/folder name)"?
    This item will be deleted immediately. You can't undo this action.
    Cancel/Delete

This removes the deleted files permanently without going through the macbook's Trash, which I don't really have a huge problem with except it's annoying to keep being prompted every time I want to delete a file. (this only happens with files in the external HDD. files on my macbook's internal HDD delete normally)

My main problem is that I have come across some files (only 2 specific files for now, but there may be more) that keep reappearing after I have clicked "Delete" to confirm. After confirmation, the file would appear to have been deleted successfully, only to reappear almost immediately in the same folder.

After some tedious Googling I have tried "deleting" the ~/.Trash of the external HDD via Terminal; I'm not sure if I even did delete a trash folder, because I don't know if it existed before/anymore.

What should I do to fix this problem? What is the cause of it anyway?
    I haven't done anything different to my HDD or dropped it.
    I have, however, recently tried disabling sleepimage on my macbook because cached files take up too much space on my computer if I use it after waking it up from sleep mode. I don't see how that would affect my external hard drive though, or could it?

2. mtasquared macrumors regular

mtasquared

The files that keep reappearing may be in use by your mac. What are they exactly?

3. mtasquared macrumors regular

mtasquared

If you want to go ahead and delete the files try this (read this whole post first). Open a terminal window. Type "sudo rm -rf " without quotation marks then drag the file you want deleted into the terminal window. That will cause the file path to be entered into the terminal. Then press return. WARNING: if you type "sudo rm -r / " then hit return it will delete all the files on your home drive. Please be careful or have an expert present.

4. KSaebin thread starter macrumors newbie

They're just some video files! (Doctor Who *_*) and they weren't in use at the time either.

I have actually already tried that method a few times to no avail :(