File-sharing company discovers blueprints of Obama's helicopter...IN IRAN

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

:eek: Hair-raising, to say the least. Obviously somebody in that defense company doesn't know how peer-to-peer works -- or at least how to turn off sharing.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Kudos to Tiversa for notifying the government of their discovery.

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

The most eyebrow raising thing is that there are companies that monitor peer-to-peer networks.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its a Made in France Helicopter anyone surprised? Sad that we cant even build our own presidents helicopter. Bush & his Boys strike again. President should have demanded a domestic design and built Copter. Instead this Moron was even pushing to have the Saudi's running our ports. Our Govt is bought off.
    (edit) turns out some nimrod working at Bethesda defense company was sharing their files like a moron. These people are in charge of our security? no wonder we have to have foreigners make the copter/ Amazing just how stupid we are becoming. This person should be fired.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How the hell does a defense contractor not have their network locked down so users can not install software? Jeez, I've seen companies with 25 employees not allow users to install software.

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The article from the other thread said they were made in the UK.

6. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Since the files were being shared from Maryland, what does this have to do with France or Saudis?

7. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

You're right, that's the problem. As a result of an aircraft being built in a foreign country, it's plans were shared out of the US. How did we not all pick up on this genius realization?

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

There are many flavours of espionage. Some would say they are just being prudent. :rolleyes:

9. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Yep, anything bad that happens is Bush's direct fault, or that of one of his administration.

My dog died last week. Had a brain hemmorhage, and I'm thinking of suing the government about it. George Bush was such a bastard when he was in office, WORST PRESIDENT EVER, I'm absolutely convinced he's behind the death of my dog, and your post only re-enforces that notion. :D

If it's OK, I'm going to adopt your saying to use anytime something bad happens to me.

SLC

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You didn't let him watch the News, did you???? :eek:

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The article says Marine One, which currently is either a VH-3D (based off of the Sikorsky S-3 Sea King), or a VH-60 (based off of the Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk). Last time I checked, Sikorsky is an American company...

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm sure increasing the number of private contractors we use to support the military decreases the chances of this happening.

13. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

That is the most disturbing quote in the article to me.

14. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Yeah, I agree.

15. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Why would the Iranians care about Obamas helicopter specs? Its not like he flys around Iran in it....

Maybe they want to build their own? They've already got the capability to build advanced fighter jets (which they do), and ultra long range space capable warhead carrying missiles so i dont think they need his helicopter specs to do anything to him if they felt like it.

Obamas got more to worry about from certain ethnic groups inside the US...:rolleyes:

16. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Information can always be sold.

17. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

This isn't an accusation, but I must admit, my initial reaction was something along the lines of, "Ooo, hey, an excuse to escalate tensions with Iran and an excuse to install additional monitoring and control of Internet traffic all in the same convenient story. It's nice to see defense contractors innovating their way out of these tough economic times."

18. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Yeah i can sell how short i cut my toenails but it sure doesn't help anyone and its certainly not useful. Same as this information about Obama's helicopter isn't useful.

19. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Firstly, the helicopters are used outside of the US.

Secondly, Iran has funded and supported numerous groups (Hamas) with technology and weapons. Presumably any group with this information could find and exploit a weakness. Not a good thing.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Let's get some "facts", eh? The proposed helicopter is built in the USA by Lockheed Martin under licence from Agusta Westland, and in fact may not be built at all as it's so expensive. The files were shared out of the US, not France, Italy, the UK or anywhere else. This is an entirely domestic fustercluck, nothing to do with Bush, and nothing to do with the Saudis either, for that matter.

21. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That I'd like to see.

22. szark macrumors 68030

szark

It's also possible that someone found a more modern way to sell secrets to our enemies, and didn't realize the tracing capabilities that existed.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So if this came from a peer to peer network, how could Iran sell the information if anyone can get access to it.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Like it won't help if Iran sent an operative to sabotage the helicopter?

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But why would the Iranians want to harm Obama? I thought, since he was a Muslim like them and all, that Obama would be fairly safe from their likes? Plus he's the perfect patsy for them, all weak-kneed and lily-livered -- easily bent to their will. Weren't we all told that the terrorists *wanted* Obama to win?

Having worked so hard for his election, why would they now want to kill him off? :confused: