Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
hey guys!

this is an odd, odd problem.

i have a really big mp3 library (≈8GB), and as you all may know, some time ago i made the foolish mistake of deleting my system folder using sudo and rm... don't bother chiding me for this, it's already been done, and i am considerably more sensible with my use of the terminal now (though i still use it frequently).

that said, when i removed my system folder, everything screwed up, of course, so i reinstalled OS X (not clean). this made it operable, so i could then copy my files over to my windows computer. to my great annoyance, when copying over the mp3 library, it would always stop with a popup that said "error: a specified file could not be found" or something. it would hitch on a single song, but skipping that song only revealed hundreds more like it. the weird thing is, every song in my library still plays, although at the oddest times the audio stops playing at a place. pausing and resuming fixes this, and rewinding and playing over the part where the audio cut out, nothing happens. this only happens maybe 2 times a week, (and i play music a lot, over and over and over).

anyways, when i backed it up, i put them in a .dmg file and sent them over that way (took FOREVER of course). this really annoys me, as i can't get the mp3s out of the dmg on my PC, and i resent the process of making an 8 GB dmg just to backup my music. does anyone know why these things could be happening? note: i don't think repairing disk permissions helps this, and even if it could, i have run it lately for different reasons. also, i have diskwarrior (can't wait for an OS X version), and i have rebuilt the directory since this started happening, to no avail.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
I'll take a crack, don't know if this will work. So I presume you have your computers networked now try using this app: http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html to copy an exact copy of your mp3's to the pc. I hope this works and I have not incorrectly read your question.

ARGH: in the system Requirements on the site, Local (i.e., not over a network connection), HFS+ formatted partition or hard drive.

I'm hoping that just means the source can not be over a network, not the location that the files will be copied to. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.