Files app: anyway to remove local copies without deleting file from iCloud?

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by mman454, Oct 11, 2017.

1. mman454 macrumors newbie

As the title says, I'm trying to figure out if there is any way to remove local copies of a file that were downloaded using the files app. For example, I tap a video that I have stored in iCloud drive and the files app proceeds to download a copy for local viewing. When I'm done watching the video, I no longer want it cached on my phone. Is there any way to remove the local copy without completely deleting the file from iCloud?

2. jesterengland macrumors newbie

I’ve been trying to find an answer to this for ages too! Nobody seems to know. The weird thing is nobody seems to care very much?

3. AeroZ macrumors 6502

AeroZ

4. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Isn't it automatic? ios will delete files not accessed in awhile like ios 11 can do for apps now?

5. simonmet macrumors 68020

simonmet

You used to be able to. Not that long ago I remember clearly having the option to delete from the device only or all copies including iCloud.

This seems to have been changed at some point in the public betas for some stupid reason.

6. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Files has some serious shortcoming at the moment so I use it to experiment. Not for daily use.
    I'll look and see if I can find a way.

7. jesterengland macrumors newbie

Just had a conversation with apple support. After many misunderstandings they finally understood what I was trying to say. Turns out its not possible to remove files from your device which have been downloaded. The only way to do it is to sign out of iCloud on your device and then all the files will be deleted! Completely crazy. And this device is suppose to be able to replace my computer!

8. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

From watching the WWDC videos it seems this is intended to be managed by the system. Developers of cloud based extensions are told to plan, manage and expect that the files may be removed to make space on the system. This obviously doesn’t apply to those apps which are storing files locally like PDF Expert and others.

9. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

SMH.....more reason to stay away from iOS.

10. niji Contributor

niji

the app's current intent is merely to facilitate syncing.
    it does that nicely i think we all agree.
    but your suggestion of an option to Remove Local Copy is a great one to be sure.

11. hoishing macrumors newbie

hoishing

The following Finder extension get it done nicely ~

https://github.com/Obbut/iCloud-Control

12. mman454 thread starter macrumors newbie

This doesn’t really help me as a windows user. Aside from that I see no indication on that page that it does file management for iOS.