Files App Question

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by barger01, Jun 13, 2017.

1. barger01 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, question on the new files app! I have been editing RAW camera files from my iCloud documents folder in Affinity Photo today on the 10.5in pro. The little iCloud symbol appears next to the files that I can download. When I click the iCloud symbol and it downloads, I don’t see the file under “on my iPad” location in files. The on my iPad location is completely blank, even though I have been downloading these images so that I can edit them. Further More, does the downloaded file auto delete itself on my iPad after awhile? If I try to delete the downloaded iCloud file, it completely deletes it from my iCloud entirely...it would be nice to have a delete from iPad option, but I may be missing something. Any help or info you all can share is greatly appreciated!

2. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

On My iPad doesn't work right now. Not much in Files works right now.

3. barger01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh okay. Once it does work, should all the iCloud files that I download be showing up there? I’m just confused where the files go once downloaded. For example, an image in iCloud Drive that I download doesn’t automatically go to the camera roll and if I delete the file in Files, it deletes it from iCloud completely. I guess it would make sense for everything downloaded to go to “on my iPad” once that works.

4. Feenician, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017

Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

I'm really not sure how they intend it to work but I don't think that's it. I think it'll be business as usual for the iCloud Drive part; if it's on there but not synced/downloaded to your device it'll have the cloud with a downward arrow icon. The On My iPad piece I think is distinct and separate. Only time will tell though.

5. Brammy macrumors 65816

I think it is for files on your iPad that aren't on any cloud service. Kinda like how you'd use iTunes to transfer a file on your iPad.

I wonder if apps like Documents by Reedle that have a local storage take advantage of it.