Files disappear when using 'Get Info' — Permissions can't be changed?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by niemo810, Jun 9, 2010.

1. niemo810 macrumors member

Hi all,

I have several files in my trash that cannot be permanently deleted due to permissions errors, but when I click 'Get Info', the file disappears, only to reappear when I close and reopen the trash. It's very frustrating! My main goal is to just get these files off my external drive and be done with them! Super Empty Trash does nothing.

Any suggestions? Sorry if this has been covered before (I have a feeling it has), but I couldn't find anything by searching.

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I'm not sure that I have anything helpful to tell you, but...

Mac OS keeps the trash for each drive separate, but together. I know that doesn't make any sense but let me explain. Say you have an external hard drive connected to your Mac and you throw some files in the trash, then dismount that drive without emptying the trash they'll be back the next time you connect the external drive. Now imagine this scenario, you improperly dismount the external drive, or the Mac crashes with it connected, etc. the files that were in the trash from the external hard drive will show up in the Mac trash but won't be there technically because the external drive is not connected. I hope this makes sense and maybe helps with your trash problem.

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Here's a site that explains what I was saying above better and also has a number of methods for emptying recalcitrant Trash files. HTH

The X Lab: Solving Trash Problems

4. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Could be directory damage (in fact, i've seen threads resembling that description in the past).

Boot from the OS DVD or run fsck in single-user mode to repair the disk (not "permissions").

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Would that be necessary for an external drive? Wouldn't running Disk Utility be sufficient for an external?

6. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

No, you're right. [somehow i missed the "external" keyword. :eek: ]

To cover all bases though... i think that *every* disk should be checked.

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Agreed. It's free and it never hurts.