FileVault Encryption

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by SkrikingJohn, Apr 24, 2018.

1. SkrikingJohn macrumors newbie

SkrikingJohn

Due to suspicious activity on my iMac I am trying to turn on FileVault encryption. Its been running for a full 24 hours now and the encryption progress bar seems to have halted. A few hours ago I had 4 hours to completion but is now back up to 12/ 14 hours.

Any suggestions welcome.

Regards

2. niji Contributor

niji

it can take what seems to be very long.
    my macOS High Sierra SSD 500 GB drive took around 2 days to encrypt about 250 GB.
    leave it plugged in and open (not lid closed) overnight; and check your energy settings to make sure you are not putting your hard drive to sleep whenever possible.
    there have also been reports that APFS indexed drives can take very long.
    on the other hand, if the progress bar has not moved at all in a long while, then simply restart. it will pick up where it left off.

3. pgoudfro macrumors newbie

I'm dealing with the same issue. In my case (a 2011 MacBook Pro with Samsung EVO SSD, with ~320 GB of data), the encryption has now been running for 4 DAYS and it is now only at 64% !!! This is crazy if you ask me.

4. NoBoMac macrumors 68000

A SSD should only take hours to encrypt, not days.

Might try shutting down the machine and restarting, to see if it kick starts the process to completion.

Before that, bring up Terminal and check the status of encryption there. Enter the following command:
    Code:
    diskutil cs list
    There will be a line reporting encryption status and how for along.

5. pgoudfro macrumors newbie

Thanks, but I already tried that. (And BTW, under 10.13 the command is "diskutil apfs list", which shows it is at 64% after 4 days - 10.13 under APFS doesn't use CoreStorage encryption anymore).

6. NoBoMac macrumors 68000

Yes. My bad: did not notice that this was posted under the HS sub-board.