FileVault non-FileVault, Catalina and Mojave, MacPro 7,1 and 5,1

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
I just wonder: if I work with Catalina and FileVault on my (upcoming) MacPRo 7,1 let's say I have a "Projects" SSD where I save data on it, can I just swap it into a 5,1 which uses Mojave and has FileVault off? Can the 5,1 read and write on it?

barbu

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
You would be prompted for the FileVault key when you attach the drive. After that, you are good to go r/w.

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
You would be prompted for the FileVault key when you attach the drive. After that, you are good to go r/w.
Means even if the 5,1 can't work with Filevault in Mojave the 5,1 can normally work with a FileVaulted drive?

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
not sure of your meaning here... why wouldn't FileVault work in the 5,1?
As far as I know, FileVault is not working for the 5,1 in Mojave. And it also didn't work for me so I switched it off.

barbu

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
I was not aware of the issue with that model. However it’s still worth a try since it is not a boot volume (which seems to be the issue with the 5,1)

Reactions: Coyote2006

Brian33

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Turning on Filevault in System Preferences only encrypts the boot drive. By default, it does not encrypt other drives attached to the computer (I'm almost certain about that). I DO know for sure is that you don't need to turn Filevault on in Sys Prefs in order to encrypt or decrypt an external drive.

On one machine, right-click the external SDD drive icon and pick "Encrypt..." Pick an encryption password and ensure you don't lose it! At some point you will be given the chance to save the password in your login keychain so you don't have to enter it in the future but make sure you've got it recorded anyway.

Now you can take that SSD drive to the other machine. When macOS tries to mount it it will prompt for the password (and ask if you want to save it in login keychain). Now the drive is Filevault 2 encrypted but either machine can use it. Again, the System Preferences setting for Filevault has no relevance to this process -- turn it on or off as you wish as it only affects the machine's boot drive (which you will obviously not be sharing between the computers).

Hope that clarifies a little.

Reactions: Coyote2006

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
@Brian33. Thanks a lot.

It would be great to have a "backup" possibility to just plug-in the Sonnet back into my old 5,1 and continue working in case of any problems on may (upcoming) new MacPro.