FileVault problems with dual boot

naerct

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2019
Southern NH
I'm having an unusual problem with my 2012 MBP. I pulled the DVD player and have dual 500GB SSDs inside, one with Mojave, and one with Catalina, both with Filevault. When I boot on one, everything is fine, but then I am asked to log into the other. I admit, it's pretty easy to say no, but can I get rid of the prompt completely? I believe I want to leave it encrypted most of the time while using the other OS??? Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian33

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
By default, macOS tries to mount every attached volume. When the mount is initiated for any FileVault volume, Finder will prompt for the password.

I don’t know the exact solution for you, but I think the answer will lie in preventing the extra volume from being auto mounted. Try googling auto mount. I’m sure there is someway to do it from the command line, and I’m sure there are third-party apps which do it too. I use paragons NTFS for Mac product and it has an option to prevent automatic mounting of any particular volume, I believe (I’m not at my Mac right now to check) but it would be overkill to buy that product for this one little feature.

Reactions: naerct

naerct

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2019
Southern NH
By default, macOS tries to mount every attached volume. When the mount is initiated for any FileVault volume, Finder will prompt for the password.

I don’t know the exact solution for you, but I think the answer will lie in preventing the extra volume from being auto mounted. Try googling auto mount. I’m sure there is someway to do it from the command line, and I’m sure there are third-party apps which do it too. I use paragons NTFS for Mac product and it has an option to prevent automatic mounting of any particular volume, I believe (I’m not at my Mac right now to check) but it would be overkill to buy that product for this one little feature.
Thanks. I think "auto Mount" will get me a lot closer than the search I made. If it's offered in your software, the solution is likely in Terminal. Besides I have Disk Genius, but am waiting for software that knows how to work with APFS. I really like the way APFS works with volumes, especially for OS clones.