Filevault wants 4096 GB of free space!?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by opticalserenity, Jul 17, 2007.

1. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

So, if you look at the attachment, my C2D 15" MBP with 120gb hard drive machine told me I need 4076 GIGABYTES of free space to continue to setup Filevault. Anyone seen this?

Unfortunately, I only have 22gb or so of free space and not 4 terabytes. :confused:

Attached Files:

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

TURN FILE VAULT OFF! unless you are guarding secrets like james freakin bond there's little need for it. It messes things up and god forbid you ever need to retrieve your data if your computer has problems, the data will be undecipherable - read: useless.

edit:

let me put this in more useful terms. Unless there is a big chance of theft (be the machine itself or data on it) File Vault is kind of unnecessary. It does cause its fair share of problems (which I can't really explain) and if you ever end up like I did, with a non-working machine, ALL the data which is not backed-up elsewhere is lost to the encryption.

3. opticalserenity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, more importantly, OS X believes that I need 4 terabytes of space to turn it on. Regardless of the merits of Filevault or why I need NSA level security, that is an issue with the space requirements.

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

well sure, but since I am not sure what wacky things file vault thinks it needs from your system (clearly 4 terabytes worth) I wanted to bring up the disadvantage of it in another sense :p

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

What it actually needs is enough room to copy your entire home folder - so,however big that is, you need that much room plus spare room for swap space in order to activate it.

As iBlue said, though... avoid it and use encrypted folders for the necessary items if possible.

6. opticalserenity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I love how Apple knows about a problem, but says "we don't want to fix it, but here is a real LONG but easy way out"