film and edit in HD avchd, what is the result?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Styve100, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Styve100 macrumors newbie

I have a new panasonic tm10 and am looking forward to using it and editing, however I am confused somewhat with all the info I read regarding files certainly.
    When I do get a movie edited either using imovie 09 or imovie HD and burn to dvd, will it be HD?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Depends on what kind of DVD you're talking about.

You can burn exported video files, which can be in "HD", to any data DVD your drive supports.
    You can also make a video DVD out of your videos, but a video DVD will only be in SD (Standard Definition) and not HD, as video DVDs do not support HD.
    That's where Blu Ray and HD-DVD come into play.

How you convert your videos is your choice and depends also on the recipient.

3. cz9h3d macrumors member

Great question! What's the good answer?!?!?

I just got my first HD capable camcorder, and have the same questions. On a Mac, I believe you have the option of using Toast (platinum?) and burning in HD onto regular DVD's that will then play in a Blu-Ray player. Seems rather kludgey, doesn't it? You could always get a Blu-Ray burner and use Toast, but the blanks are very expensive still. I also notice all the latest Blu-Ray players note AVCHD compatibility - does this mean it will play the unedited files burned to a disk?

Obviously for online distribution there are a lot of options for using HD.

BTW - I just purchased a Panasonic SD10 last week (same as your TM10 but no built in memory). It's going back. Indoor low light is just awful. However, my Sanyo FH1A just arrived today, and it kicks but in lower light. It's like night and day (pun intended). FH1A is down to about $390 at Amazon, less expensive than you paid at Costco ;)