Final Cut Pro 10.4.1 broke my MAC

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Miltz, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Miltz macrumors 6502a

So I installed the update to 10.4.1 and now my system runs out of memory and the program is unusable. OSX is telling me to close applications via a popup. I tried to uninstall and re-install the software and it didn't help. I have the latest version of OSX on a 2016 MacBook Pro 15" (fully loaded). I'm very upset since I can't do my work and it's affecting my job. Before the update, I could have photoshop open, safari, and outlook and still run final cut without and problems. It was super fast.... now, I can barely load a movie before it crashes. My memory pressure is orange and red after the update, before it was always green. I hope someone can help, or if you have the same system as me what's your experience? Thank You.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Restore from your backup taken just before you upgraded.

3. Miltz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not an option. I didn't back-up before installing it.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2018 ---
    Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 6.00.19 PM.png

4. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

same problem after rebooting?

i'm back to work tomorrow, will update FCPX and report how that goes for me as well...

5. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

Is it an issue with your computer exclusively? Or Final Cut as a program, maybe a flaw in the update. Have you found anyone else having this problem? Try Googling it if you can.

6. Miltz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, Please let me know, and what system you have. Thank you.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2018 ---
    I think it's a flaw with the update. I'm going try it on another computer and see how it goes.

7. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

That's my guess. Check Google and see if it's a known problem.

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Then run Etrecheck and post the results here.

9. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

no problems here (at least, not so far). full disclosure: am running FCPX 10.4.1 on the current OS beta. updated my project, and working fine. and safari and a few other apps are open...

this is an early-2015 13" macbook pro; 16gb ram, 3.1ghz i7...

10. Miltz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Curious, are you working with 4K footage? How long are your videos? This might seem like a lot to ask but can you can you check your memory pressure while editing? And mess with the video a lot. I seem to have the issues 10 minutes into editing.

11. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

am not on a project right now, and working elsewhere. but i opened a 5-minute music video this morning and basically destroyed it :cool:. i had no issues, but, no time to do more tests. try checking a FCP forum? this is where i go for help: http://www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx

12. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP:
    If nothing else works, you could try to DELETE the most recent update of FCP, and then re-install a slightly older version that was known to be working.

This probably involves deleting all existing libraries, etc.
    I suggest you use CarbonCopyCloner to create a cloned backup of your internal drive AS IT IS NOW, so that you don't lose any existing files/footage.
    CCC is FREE to download and use for 30 days. It will do the job.

After you downgrade, you probably won't be able to load "previously upgraded" libraries, but you MIGHT be able to re-import raw footage.

"Thems the breaks" when you don't do a cloned backup (again using CCC or SuperDuper) prior to upgrading.

13. MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

I'm running FCP 10.4.1 on a late 2013 rMBP without any problems with older projects either. Also not on any new ones yet. As well as always keeping a cloned hard drive, before doing an incremental update, it's a good idea to archive your current version (secondary click, choose compress) so if there are problems you can trash the program, then uncompress the archive and be back were you started.