Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
Hello, all. I'm going to buy a Power Mac for video editing in the next month or so. I'll be using Final Cut Pro 4, but since I've never used it (or any Final Cut Pro version), I was wondering if there's a FCP4 manual posted online or available for download somewhere. That way I can start reading it now, so I'll be ready for when I get the equipment. Is there anywhere I can get one of those manuals, or perhaps a good FCP4 users guide for sale?

Thanks!

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
Wow, nobody replied so far...

Does anyone know? Anyone? Bueller?

:p

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
NO - there is not.
If you buy the box you get a printed manual. If you get the app then it has a PDF manual in it as part of the help system. Goto Help>FCP 4 Manual.
If you get it illegally then you are a prick. Apple worked the rear ends off to make FCP4 what it is. I have used both 3 and 4. I bought 4. So should you. Rip of MS and Adboe - maybe but not the company that actually make decent softwares.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by benixau
NO - there is not.
If you buy the box you get a printed manual. If you get the app then it has a PDF manual in it as part of the help system. Goto Help>FCP 4 Manual.
If you get it illegally then you are a prick. Apple worked the rear ends off to make FCP4 what it is. I have used both 3 and 4. I bought 4. So should you. Rip of MS and Adboe - maybe but not the company that actually make decent softwares.

Whoa there! I never said anything about having an illegal copy of anything! I'm going to buy my first Mac AND Final Cut Pro 4 in about a month. I will absolutely not use illegal software. Heck, I don't even download music through P2P because I think it's wrong.

The reason I want a copy of the manual before I buy FCP4 is to read it ahead of time and become familiar with the workflow and interface, so that when the equipment shows up at my door I can start editing ASAP. This summer I was shooting an indie film with the Panasonic DVX100, and I went to their website and downloaded the user's manual for that camera, so I knew how to operate it properly before the camera was delivered. It saved me a ton of time and I was able to pick up the camera and know exactly how it worked, without ever having used it before. This is what I hoped I could do with FCP4.

To be honest, I didn't even think about people misunderstanding my post in that way. It just didn't cross my mind. And I guess it does make sense for them to not have a copy available for download, precisely to prevent piracy. I just wasn't thinking along those lines. So, sorry for the confusion.

Which then brings up the other question: Is there a manual that I can BUY? Sort of a "FCP4 for dummies" thing?

Thanks!

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
If you are going to buy the software anyway just buy it now and read through the manual that comes with it. Most of the manuals out there in bookstores are step by step and require you to have the app to follow along, (at least its easier). Just buy FCP 4 now and the computer later. Of course if you can't afford it, then I guess you the best bet is a manual from a bookstore. I can't recomend any for FCP4 but I bought and used FCP 3 and the art of filmmaking, a very good book with a great DVD of data and tutorials, but that book requires FCP to go through the tutorials, but the information is good for begginers to NLE.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Personally I would not want to read on-line, print out an FCP manuel. The 4 volumes that made up the manuel for 3 is well over 1000 pages.

Lethal

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
hey - i have to be like that sometimes.
I have been a victim of piracy myself and feel very strongly about it. Also, for obvious reasons, FCP 4 is a very nice target for pirates (high cost, big features).

But if you are ok to do it the right way then you have my full support.

Also I searched for an online FCP 4 Manual and found nothing. Therefore I report that there is no manual - thats all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.