Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
Years ago, Canon released a utility for FCP X that "wraps" MXF codec footage from cameras like the XF 100 and XF 300 series with a .mov container during import. It was a background process so Final Cut's import window can be used to import footage normally, because it didn't used to support it natively. It also took MXF file structures, where long videos are broken up into 2.05GB segments, and combined them into a single piece of footage, which is obviously far better.

10.4 breaks / broke this. I can now only see the 2.05GB segments in the import window, and the latest version of the Canon utility does not remedy it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and can help restore this functionality?

Running Sierra 10.12.6 on 5,1 Mac Pro.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
Added some screenshots to help illustrate the problem:
10.3.4 (works)
Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 10.20.37 AM.png

10.4 (broken)
Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 10.31.10 AM.png

haysoos123

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
Added some screenshots to help illustrate the problem:
10.3.4 (works)
View attachment 751600
10.4 (broken) View attachment 751601

I just tested this in FCPX 10.4 with some C300 footage, and it did the joining of the mxf and rewrap as it always had. Are you positive you have the Canon XF plugin for FCPX dated 12/15/17? This is the version of the file: "xpfm-3-2-0-6-9l.dmg".

It's possible that there's some kind of bug with the actual files the XF100/300 cameras create, though. If you reinstall the plugin and still get this, then I would file a bug report with Canon and Apple (not sure who broke what). But at least you know that it does work for some form of Canon XF footage. I agree, working with segmented MXF files is not ideal.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
Unfortunately the latest version of the Plugin you linked does not fix it. I am in contact with Canon support and can see what happens. 10.3.4 still functions properly with the plugin, but not 10.4.

haysoos123

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
Unfortunately the latest version of the Plugin you linked does not fix it. I am in contact with Canon support and can see what happens. 10.3.4 still functions properly with the plugin, but not 10.4.

Actually after some more testing, it looks like you are right because I was able to replicate this using another set of footage. Not sure why yet why some long shots work and others don't, though. And I wonder if it's on apple's side or canon's, and if it's fixed in the next version 10.4.1.

Reactions: Zwhaler

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
Actually after some more testing, it looks like you are right because I was able to replicate this using another set of footage. Not sure why yet why some long shots work and others don't, though. And I wonder if it's on apple's side or canon's, and if it's fixed in the next version 10.4.1.

Funny enough, Canon support asked me to try WITHOUT the plugin at all. Sure enough, after removed all traces of the XF Utility (v3.2) and deleted all folders of the Plugin, everything works.

So people having this problem... delete the XF Plugin and Utility from your computer.

This was with 10.4.1 (which has it's own set of problems...) but I didn't test it on this version before uninstalling the XF Utility. I assuming deleting the utility is what fixed it.

DavidDoyle

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2013
I'm seeing some funnies also.... I'll try and post a screenshot. Essentially my MXF's appear as 1 file (not split into the 2GB files) however the preview window runs chronologically right-to-left not left-to-right. Really weird!

This is on 10.4.1 and the latest plugin v3.2.

Should I try and delete the plugin altogether?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.