Final Cut Pro X 10.4 Released With Support for 360º VR Video Editing, HDR and HEVC Video, and Much More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 14, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced it has released Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and updated Logic Pro X, Motion, and Compressor alongside the launch of the iMac Pro.

[​IMG]

As previewed earlier this year, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 includes 360º VR video editing, HDR support, and new color tools like a white balance picker. It also includes support for HEVC, the new video format introduced in macOS High Sierra and iOS 11, and direct import of iMovie for iOS timelines.

[​IMG]

Logic Pro X also has been updated with optimized performance for the iMac Pro, including support for up to 36 cores with hyperthreading. Version 10.3.3 includes performance and stability improvements as well, including a fix for an issue which could cause user-created content to become unavailable on macOS High Sierra.

Motion has been updated with support for 360 VR motion graphics. Users can now import 360° video and design 360° titles, generators, and effects, and later output the 360° video to a connected VR headset. Version 5.4 also supports import, playback, and editing of HEVC video and HEIF photos from Apple devices.

Final Cut Pro X version 10.4 release notes:
    Apple's new versions of Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X, and Motion, and Compressor are available from the Updates tab in the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Final Cut Pro X 10.4 Released With Support for 360º VR Video Editing, HDR and HEVC Video, and Much More

2. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Umm....finally?!? Surprised that HEVC support took so long to come, but better late than never, I suppose.

3. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Hopefully they have fixed the problem where Final Cut crashes on High Sierra when using an External Display.

It is horrible.

4. v1597psh macrumors regular

v1597psh

5. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

No support for Rec.2100?

Kudos to Apple!
    Adobe has one job in the world, and they suck!

6. Xavier macrumors 68030

I don't have this problem.

7. Mike MA macrumors 68010

Mike MA

I guess here will be some happy people around today

8. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Is your laptop closed when doing this? Apparently the bug doesn't happen if the laptop is closed.

9. e1me5 macrumors 6502

e1me5

Yes!! About time! Let's see the performance now on a 6 year old MBP...

10. Xavier macrumors 68030

Oh, I'm sorry, you are speaking specifically to a laptop? This isn't my setup. External connected to iMac is working fine.

11. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

The 18-core iMac Pro is hyperthreaded so the OS sees it as 36 cores (threads).

12. Miguel Cunha macrumors 6502

I believe is more 18-core (36 threads) iMac Pro confirmed.

13. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

I'm part surprised (but also part not surprised at all) that FCP hasn't had HDR editing yet. I've seen 4k HDR movies for months now, so Apple's pretty late to the game.

14. Burger Thing macrumors 6502a

Burger Thing

Is it finally possible to do roundtripping with Motion? Please, Apple, pretty pretty please with a big cherry on top!

15. gusapple macrumors 6502a

gusapple

I was working on a project, and one of the videos was from an iPhone X. It took me far too long to realize that FCPX had no HEVC support.

16. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

Now, time to serious compete with Microsoft Office and Tally ERP Solutions.

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes! And, honestly, with Apple we are always on edge, not knowing if TC will randomly drop the wrecking ball on any given app, like he did with Aperture.

But I still can't complain given the price of this update or the one's before it. And unlike some other video apps, there is no subscription fee either, so there is that.

18. Xavier macrumors 68030

FCPX is usually late to support. Great editor though.

19. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

Questions:

Is there a 360° Video Standard?

and

Does it work with the GoPro Fusion?

Anyone knows this stuff?

20. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

Happy people in Macrumors???

Pigs will fly first.......

21. Xavier macrumors 68030

There are two types of 360 videos, Monoscopic and Stereoscopic, which are both supported in this update. I would guess, but don't quote me on this, that the GoPro shoots in Monoscopic. This may help https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/360-degree_video

22. imran5720 macrumors regular

imran5720

23. adamjackson macrumors 68000

Very exciting. I hope this statement helps me:

1. Final Cut Pro uses all the GPUs in your Mac for superior real-time playback performance and fast background rendering

I have an NVIDIA GPU in my MacBook Pro. FCP takes full advantage of it. In my iMac with the Radeon 395X, FCP barely touches it and everything gets dumped on the Core i7. I really hope this improves my transcoding times when working with all of the HEVC files I am getting now from GoPro & iPhone.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 14, 2017 ---
    Same with GoPro Hero 6. HEVC for 4K files. I was a bit amazed that an Apple product was creating media that an Apple software product couldn't work with. Photos did support it on launch day though and I could export from Photos for mac to "4K" and FCP would read the MPEG file. but if you exported "unmodified original" from photos, FCP had no idea what to do with it although QuickTime player could play back and trim no issue.

24. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods