Finally found a perfect iPhone 3G — It's rare! Long Story.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

If anyone is willing to read my story, go ahead. This is a story of my quest to find the perfect iPhone 3G and tonight I did. Check this out.

On Sept. 21st, I went to Best Buy and bought an iPhone 3G. I was so excited and I couldn't wait to take it home... but my excitement quickly turned to disappointment with the quality of my iPhone. It had wavy lines on the screen if you moved the iPhone around, the glass was no level and there was light leaking out of the side a little.

The next day, I brought my iPhone 3G back to Best Buy to return it because I was not happy with this one. The stupid lady there refused to see anything wrong with it and she said there was nothing she could do except for letting me pay a $50 restocking fee to return it and buy a whole new one... I was going to spend money on a case so I decided to use that money on a new iPhone instead. I figured, if I get one that's better, I'll be happy.

Well, iPhone #2 had quite a few problems with it. The backlight was leaking from the left side in 3 separate places, the buttons were wobbly, the screen still had the wavy scan lines and my volume rocker switch was sunken on the bottom. Also, after having iPhone #2 for about 2 weeks, small cracks developed on the side.

About this time, I was pissed. I couldn't believe the build quality on the iPhone 3G and I was starting to think that there could be no perfect iPhone 3G in existence. So, this time I decided to skip Best Buy's crapfest and drive to my local Apple Store in Salem NH. I showed the lady at the Genius Bar my 2 cracks and the light leakage and she swapped it out for me (after stating that it is within spec, but she'll swap it anyway). Now onto iPhone #3.

iPhone #3 seemed fine. The buttons were nice and tight, the volume rocker wasn't sunken, the glass was not raised or sunken and there was zero light leaks coming from the bezel. I was happy, so I went home. That night, I was examining my iPhone a little more and I found that the chrome bezel was misaligned with the plastic housing creating a sem-sharp edge that was really easy to feel and I could see the white back from the front of the iPhone. Also, the wavy lines/scan-lines were still there... even worse than iPhone #2. I figured I'd deal with this problem (even though I did try as hard as I could to squish the plastic back into the bezel and it didn't even budge... which is kind of a good think because that tells me that these things are put together tight). After a full day of using my iPhone #3 I began to get pissed off at the raised edge because my other 2 iPhones didn't have this problem.

Luckily, while I was at the Apple Store the day before in Salem, a kind employee told me that they just opened an Apple Store in Portland Maine and what do you know... it's actually closer to my house by a 20 minutes. So tonight I decided to return my iPhone #3 to the Apple Store in Portland.

When I got to the Maine Apple Store, the employees were very nice (expected at an Apple Store) and they let me hang around until my Genius Bar appointment. I got a little lucky because a half hour later, they had a spot open and I could sneak in early... sweet! I showed the kind man the misaligned edge on my iPhone and he quickly looked it over and agreed with me that he should swap it out. I thought, cool. I'll get ANOTHER iPhone. This time I handled the situation MUCH differently than the times before. He processed my information and serial number and grabbed a refurbished iPhone from a drawer FULL of refurbished iPhones. He opened it up and I nicely asked if I was allowed to check it over to make sure I'm 100% happy with this one. (I told him about the other 3). He agreed that I should be satisfied with it before leaving.

The first iPhone he handed me had the same misalignment issues so I gave it back. The second iPhone he gave me was smooth around the edges, but the glass was raised up on one side and he let me take it into the bathroom to check for light leaks and there was a HUGE light leak on this one. (As a side note, the first 2 had the wavy-line issue I mentioned a few times). The 3rd iPhone he gave me was the winner. He let me take this into the bathroom too. Here's what I found:

1. No misaligned edges
    2. No wobbly buttons
    3. No sunken buttons
    4. Glass is perfectly flush with the bezel
    5. No cracks
    6. No dust under glass
    7. Very SMALL light leak near the volume switch
    8. Best of all NO WAVY LINES on the screen!

I told the man that I have found the iPhone that fit my requirements and he happily inserted the SIM card and sent me on my way. I just upgraded it to 2.1 and I'm very very satisfied.

Note: I am 100% happy with my new replacement iPhone #6!

If anyone is having problems with your iPhone, take it to an Apple Store and try out 10 refurbs, if you need to, before you take it home.

Thank you for reading my story and I wish you all the best of luck!

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you are a good example why apple products cost so much

3. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

That is a pretty unfair statement.

Apple's premium is not because of their return policy. It may play a factor, but when it comes down to it, revenue lost by issuing a replacement is mostly made up once the returned phone is refurbished. They are re-sold or become replacement stock. And, most importantly, they create a sense of good will, and increase customer satisfaction and brand loyalty. That is invaluable to a company like Apple and is clearly part of their mission.

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm just a believer that I should get what I pay for. 2 me, the other 5 iPhones were not worth $500 with all their problems... on top of that, $90+ a month for the freakin' thing... Yeah, I want one that I'm satisfied with. It's a real shame that it took me 6 iPhones to get it.

Thank you for that. That's how I feel too. Hey, aren't you the one who had some problems with your iPhone and finally got a refurb that was good?

5. samiwas macrumors 65816

CASHIER: I'm sorry, we can't take this back.
    GEORGE: Why not?
    CASHIER: It's been flagged.
    GEORGE: (Confused) Flagged?
    CASHIER: It's been in the bathroom.

6. tongteh macrumors 6502

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

is that referring to me?

yes my iphone has light leak, cracks, and dust under the screen

no i have not taken it in for a replacement

i tell you, every event in life can be tied to seinfeld

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

This will be me when the I dropped my iPhone 3G thread appears. [​IMG]

9. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Nope, that was for Mikey B. I remember his icon in another thread stating that he got a refurbished replacement before he was happy with it.

How can you live with your iPhone in that condition? Apparently I must just care too much.

10. emt1 macrumors 65816

They make drugs for your condition. Make an appointment with your doctor.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

easy. cant seen the dust spec unless screen is off, the cracks i have to look for uber hard in the right light, and the light leak well i dont look at the back of the phone when using it

i accept that manufacturing is never perfect and you know what? my phone can do all the same things your phone can

i appreciate not worrying over trivial stuff that really does not affect the phones performance. i also value my time enough to not keep heading back to the store and convince nonsympathetic people that there is a problem with the phone and hope that they give me a replacement

i also realize it is just a phone and not anything speical. just a tool i use

if everybody scrutinized everything they buy as hard as they do the iphone, our economy would be in worse shape then it is. i mean did you carefully nitpick your calculator you bought for school? or camera? or billfold? i know i didnt

but hey, thats just me. i dont want ocd to run my life lol

but congrats on finally being happy even if i disapprove of your pickiness lol

12. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Congratulations. Now maybe you'll quit whining about your iPhone. Your crying got old a long time ago.

13. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

wow, is the quality of the iphone 3G this bad?!??!

My original 1st gen iphone is rock solid. My T-mobile contract just expired and i was thinking of getting a iphone 3G and switching to ATT.

I certainly do not want to go through this many bad iphones...

what are my chances of getting an iphone 3G with a bluish white screen and not a dull yellowish screen??

14. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

lol:D

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

your chances of getting a good iphone are like 100% some people are waaaaay ocd on little things

16. AutomaticHaze macrumors regular

Hmm, i argee with you. You should get what you pay for. These phones are not cheap, ha,
    Im happy you got a iPhone you happy with, i've been happy with mine since i got it. Maybe i got lucky :D

17. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Nope. There are millions (and I do mean millions) of happy iPhone 3G owners. It just seems like many of the whacked out ones come here.

Just take a look at the OPs name. It explains everything...

18. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Wow, now that is a streak of bad luck, and you were perfectly justified with your returns and such, I don't see how anybody can complain about that. It is an expensive phone (compared to most other phones) with an expensive bill on top of that, you are paying for quality. I would immediately get a case and screen protector for it if you haven't already, just so it stays perfect. That is one amazing streak of bad luck though.

Dude, he's been here a hell of a lot longer than you have, he was a member here before we even knew of the iPhone, so you can't say that he came here to complain and such about the iPhone. He is hardly "whacked," you pay for quality, in my eyes, anything that costs more than $100 (new) must come in perfect condition, it is just unacceptable for anything less. So anybody has justification to complain about not getting a near-perfect iPhone, all of these issues are more than minor things. A minor thing would be needing to use a little force to plug the USB cable in or something like that, all of his problems are respectable.

19. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yes, correct. I am OCD when spending half-a-grand on something. For some reason I expect it to feel like $500... and that makes me waaaaaaay OCD eh? I'm glad you're fine with your problems. What you do not realize is that you and I are different people with different personalities.... You said your iPhone is "just a phone" and "a tool"... well that's good for you. I tried telling myself it's "just a phone" and the more I thought about it... the more angry I got because I didn't buy JUST A PHONE... I bought an iPhone and after owning the original iPhone I had some pretty big expectations for it. I never once worried if my 1st Gen was going to crack or seeing light leak out the sides or the hold switch snapping off... It was just a rugged piece of equipment. If they put 3G and GPS into an original iPhone shell, I'd get that in a heartbeat.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i cant wait till you start a thread nitpicking on a 200k+ house lol. or a 30k car seeing how much 500 bucks can irritate you. just realize that nothing is perfect

for your own sake, try not to worry as much on stuff that really in the end is insignificant. not saying you shouldnt be satisfied but there is a balance between reasonable expectation and perfection. thats all the advice i have

but yea like i said, congrats...

21. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

long time as in the 2 weeks since you registered here?

22. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Actually, I've been lurking for quite some time. I finally got around to registering just a short while ago.

If you've been reading all of TheSpaz's 3G saga, I suspect you might agree with my original statement...

23. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Although I was not looking for sympathy, thank you. The reason for this thread was to show people what it takes to get a decent iPhone 3G and I'm sure there are millions of people out there that are perfectly happy and are not as anal as I am... but unfortunately, over the past 10 years, Apple has gotten me accustomed to quality, so maybe that's why I'm so anal about it. I'm not used to crappy Apple products. Period.

Did your post get longer before I replied? For some reason your post was much shorter than this before I clicked reply... hah.

24. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

no I wont agree if you believe that he complains and his threads hold no water then its very simple, dont read them

25. AutomaticHaze macrumors regular

IMO the OP isnt is OCD. It took me more than one paycheck to pay for my iPhone so i want it to be near perfect also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.