Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Why is it that in Safari - regardless of device - iPad 4, iPhone 6, or my MBP with 8 giga of RAM - when I hit the back button, the previous page I'm going back to refreshes?

I know people complain about tab refreshes due to a lack of RAM, but is this the same problem? Doesn't seem to matter how much RAM, going back always causes an annoying refresh.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Why is it that in Safari - regardless of device - iPad 4, iPhone 6, or my MBP with 8 giga of RAM - when I hit the back button, the previous page I'm going back to refreshes?

I know people complain about tab refreshes due to a lack of RAM, but is this the same problem? Doesn't seem to matter how much RAM, going back always causes an annoying refresh.

I just typed my reply and navigated away to another page before hitting the back button. Safari still saved up what I had typed and did not refresh.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I just typed my reply and navigated away to another page before hitting the back button. Safari still saved up what I had typed and did not refresh.

So? Try that after browsing for an hour with a bunch of tabs open. Ain't happenin.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
So? Try that after browsing for an hour with a bunch of tabs open. Ain't happenin.

That wasn't the OP's assertion. He said that Safari refreshes every time whenever you go back regardless of the machine. I just said that ain't necessarily true.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
I actually have noticed an odd thing since upgrading to iOS 8. The iPad used to refresh the tab and start from the top of the site when I would swipe to go back. Now the screen flashes and it reloads and moves me down to where I was on the screen before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.