Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dudeofblokes

macrumors regular
Original poster
finally got my imac i7 back from apple after arriving with damaged logic board and screen, got a fresh 2 tb harddrive installed into and was all set to set her up.

currently staying at mums for a week, took machine all software i needed and the keyboard but i forgot the magic mouse, had a brand new usb mouse up here and althought the optical lights up the pointer wont move on my mac :(

looks like ill have to wait another 6 days until i can get it set up, im very disappointed as the mouse works on my macbook but at the install screen the imac doesnt respond to it :(

bolen

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Sweden
finally got my imac i7 back from apple after arriving with damaged logic board and screen, got a fresh 2 tb harddrive installed into and was all set to set her up.

currently staying at mums for a week, took machine all software i needed and the keyboard but i forgot the magic mouse, had a brand new usb mouse up here and althought the optical lights up the pointer wont move on my mac :(

looks like ill have to wait another 6 days until i can get it set up, im very disappointed as the mouse works on my macbook but at the install screen the imac doesnt respond to it :(

Tried all USB ports? Do you have any other USB peripheral that you could try to determine that it isn't the USB ports that's defective... can't see why your mouse should't work.

dudeofblokes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Tried all USB ports? Do you have any other USB peripheral that you could try to determine that it isn't the USB ports that's defective... can't see why your mouse should't work.

unfortunately because its at the install screen the only thing that would show is a mouse, the harddrive is empty so i cant boot back into anything to test others, yeah i tried all the ports but its the same thing, power going through but no response :(

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Are you using the USB mouse on glass or a reflective surface? Did you try plugging in the mouse and then restarting the iMac to see if that makes a difference? Have you tried zapping the PRAM/NVRAM?

dudeofblokes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Are you using the USB mouse on glass or a reflective surface? Did you try plugging in the mouse and then restarting the iMac to see if that makes a difference? Have you tried zapping the PRAM/NVRAM?

im not sure how to do the zappng as its the wireless keyboard and theres no os installed. i have tried unplugging and restarting tho

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Can't you install the OS without a mouse? Maybe it would work after the OS is installed?

dudeofblokes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Can't you install the OS without a mouse? Maybe it would work after the OS is installed?

the first question to choose the language allows me to click return, but the next page "click continue to install...." the continue button is only lit by blue around it and i find only buttons entirely blue accept return from the keyboard, guess ill have to wait a little longer just so desperate to enjoy it

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
the first question to choose the language allows me to click return, but the next page "click continue to install...." the continue button is only lit by blue around it and i find only buttons entirely blue accept return from the keyboard, guess ill have to wait a little longer just so desperate to enjoy it

Take a look at this Apple doc, maybe Tab or something else will work:

:apple: Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
appreciate the help but doesnt look like i can go far without the mouse its a pity, but at least i have my baby here now so its something to look forward to i guess

It would drive me completely bonkers to have it sitting there and not be able to use it.

I've always heard that any USB mouse should work with a Mac, at least on the basic level as a pointing device, all the wiz bang features may not be supported but it should work.

Here's one more thing, it's a long shot, but might get the mouse to show up:

:apple: Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

dudeofblokes

macrumors regular
Original poster
It would drive me completely bonkers to have it sitting there and not be able to use it.

I've always heard that any USB mouse should work with a Mac, at least on the basic level as a pointing device, all the wiz bang features may not be supported but it should work.

Here's one more thing, it's a long shot, but might get the mouse to show up:

:apple: Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

still no luck it must just not be registering right or something but at least power is going through, its driving me mad but noting else i can do unfortunately thank u for your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.