FINALLY... got on the right upgrade cycle!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big.Mac.Daddy, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

3Gs :( -> 4s :( -> iPhone 5! :D

Now hopefully I can stay on the right upgrade cycle with major improvements instead of spec bumps.

Anyone else out there did this?

2. Malenkaya macrumors newbie

This is my first iPhone. I was eligible last year right after the 4S came out. Had waited years to get an iPhone (family plan on Sprint, who my husband has been with for years). My husband convinced me to hold on and not buy the 4S as the 5 would be much better and I would kick myself if I had to wait to upgrade after it came out. So I'm thinking I got on board during the "correct" cycle as well.

It's gonna be a long week!

3. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

You just need a significant other on a cycle 1 year apart from your own (in before period jokes). Then you simply steal their upgrade every year and pass them your old phone.

Everyone gets a new phone, everyone is happy.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, that's the way to go if you don't upgrade yearly.

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Tell that to my significant other, we both got iP5 preorders in time.

6. Jnyce macrumors regular

this is what i do

7. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

I've bought all my iPhone's full price, starting with the 3GS->4->4S and now the 5 whenever the unlocked version is released..

8. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

A hard bargain, he/she drives.

9. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

That's highly disputable because everyone knows the spec bump models include features that the previous model doesn't and probably won't..

A la, Siri..

People getting the 5 this year will obviously say, "I don't care about spec bumps" buuuut, they'll sing a different tune come this time next year.. ;)

10. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Word

I believe there is school of thought that the 'S' models are the best iteration of each model. For example, the 3G - 3GS performance improvements were significant, you had antennagate with the 4 and the 4S has been a problem-free and very fast phone (despite people's disappointment that it wasn't a 5), and who knows what, if any, issues there will be with the 5. People often say don't buy a new model car in it's first year...

Full disclosure - yes, I'm on the 'S' upgrade cycle, but I have 2 other phones in my family eligible in the next 2 months. Debating on 4S or 5 for them.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The advantage of being on the non-S cycle is your iPhone will not feel dated for the next two years and the advantage of being on the S cycle is you get the best iteration of each model. You just need to decide which is more important to you, unless you prefer to upgrade yearly.