Finally guns used for something good in the us.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Dec 27, 2015.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

in texas no less.

http://www.activistpost.com/2015/12...urce=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Best part of that link (don't comply link): "so you've accidentally shot your friend" advice.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Some years back we had a group, Food Not Bombs, that would do the same thing. I'm of two minds on this subject.

We have to take better care of our homeless. There are too many people on the streets in my community. We need to keep people from falling that far in the first place, but if they do, we should make sure they aren't living in complete depravation.

But rather than have individual people or groups seek to remedy this problem, I think it requires a more concerted public/private solution. As Chipotles has demonstrated, even professional and well equipped food handling can lead to serious public hazards. Having a bunch of amateurs cooking large portions of food is a risk I'd rather not see taken. We don't need to compound the homeless problem with an E. coli outbreak or other form of food poisoning.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Let's ban people bringing cakes into the office!

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm somewhat less worried about the cake (though frankly, I wouldn't touch it—sue me for being picky) and more worried about the big pot of chicken stew that's been sitting under temperature for too long.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

But we also don't want to over regulate feeding the homeless.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Like I said, I'd prefer if we actually worked together through public/private partnerships to see fewer people put in the position in the first place, and better taken care of if they do fall under those circumstances.

Groups like this are a symptom that we aren't addressing the problem adequately.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sure and I don't see an issue with feeding the homeless requiring a food inspection. But that shouldn't be particularly burdensome.

Maybe outside city hall is a great place to feed the homeless then maybe the city will tackle the underlying issues.

9. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

You can feed the homeless only as we see fit, better they die of hunger than of possible e.coli....
    Doh.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's the perfect place to do it.

11. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

Just give them Chipotle gift cards that will take care of them

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Killing off the homeless is not a solution.

13. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

They don't want gift cards ,they want cash so they can buy their own "food"

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Which is why feeding them is great.

15. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Thou shall not feed the homeless w/o permits .

16. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

http://www.fhfh.org/index.html

When I actively hunted there were no chapters in CA, why? Because liberal clowns fought against it , vegans & PETA. IIRC. Better they die of hunger than be fed
    There is ONE in CA

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Hunting is a great source of cheap high quality food.

18. pdjudd macrumors 601

This. The fact that we have to pass laws against feeding the homeless (essentially penalizing it) is a symptom of a really bad problem. We should be helping these people and creating an environment where they don’t have to be homeless in the first place. And just telling them they need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps like many conservatives would say doesn’t work. Homelessness is a sickness that cannot be and should not be ignored and swept under the rug hoping it goes away. It won’t.

19. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Kill NAFTA & TPP so that they is work here in the U.S , oh wait. What do you actually suggest? Should the homeless keep suffering and go hungry until congress decides to pull their heads out of their rear?

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon, since corporations greatly benefit from NAFTA and TPP. We'll have to decouple congress from corporate interests before we can even begin to hope they'll pull their heads out of their collective asses.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There's no way it's going to change any time soon. Not only because of the points that you mention, but as a society I think we're quite content to let people fall through the cracks, and see it as a form of punishment for their personal failings.

So since we're stuck in this state for the foreseeable future ... I guess any effort to feed them is better than no effort at all.

Just remember people. Bring the food up quickly to at least 140º F. And refrigerate it quickly as well.

22. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Meanwhile we create more poor and pass laws to stop feeding them, brilliant

23. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

Don't tell the right that you will give them ideas

24. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I know it feeds corporate interests, but we've taken to Subway gift cards as our solution. It's a meal and gives them justification to loiter inside a building for some time after eating. If there were more of them near me, I'd get Denny's or another 24-hour restaurant cards so they could stay warm overnight.

Point being, it's a solution to the risk of unsafe food (even if I prepare a meat safely, I don't know if the recipient will store it safely until eating) that still helps. As for banning cakes at work, we don't, but the kids school bans anything that isn't store bought and labeled.

Still, it is disappointing that a government would take a basic right like eating or providing food and require it to be licensed and regulated in the name of safety, even when the vast majority will exercise that right safely.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Health and safety gone mad.