Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
i feel like more productive with 8+, better keyboard, apps already optimised, bigger screen and better battery, and i was missing a lot my touchid, for me still the best way to unlock iphone until today... so, goodbye X, see you when an x plus will be available

until that time, the plus will be my mobile!

The only thing the X has over the. 8 Plus are Animojis everything else the 8 Plus is better.
Bigger display
More comfortable
Properly sized Apps

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
This certainly is an x vs 8 plus thread...but not seeing the war part.

Because us X owners gave up. Lol. If someone needs to make a post regarding their decision to make them feel better about it, then fine. I picked the X and feel it’s the best phone for me. I love the screen, gestures, the size ( smaller bezels), and Face ID.

Reactions: MarcMller

Superx520

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
Screen is not bigger.

iPhone 8 Plus: 4.79x2.69= 12.88 sq in

iPhone X: 5.31x2.45= 13.04 sq in

But if you think it is bigger that’s all that counts.

You are both right in your own ways. Mathematically the X is bigger. The problem is in the narrower width and the amount of unusable vertical space which makes the usable portion of the screen smaller than a plus. The X looks like a stretched out 7, a scroll if you will. The width is the real problem and why people perceive it to be smaller. This is most noticeable when typing because the keyboard letters are smaller like those on a 7. Also if you like playing games on your phone, the width is very noticeable in landscape. Basically they could make the X 5’ (yes 5 foot) x 2.45” and it would still be to narrow when coming from the plus and most of it would be a waste of space, just like the extra .52” on the X. By trying to make the X a happy medium between the 7 and 7+, Apple screwed up in my opinion. It’s great for the ones moving up from a 7 but sucks if you have the plus and like the size of the plus. Just my 2 cents. Oh, we just cancelled my wife’s X and I am returning mine this weekend because we perceive them to be too small as well. Long live the plus! Haha

justinTlME

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
You are both right in your own ways. Mathematically the X is bigger. The problem is in the narrower width and the amount of unusable vertical space which makes the usable portion of the screen smaller than a plus. The X looks like a stretched out 7, a scroll if you will. The width is the real problem and why people perceive it to be smaller. This is most noticeable when typing because the keyboard letters are smaller like those on a 7. Also if you like playing games on your phone, the width is very noticeable in landscape. Basically they could make the X 5’ (yes 5 foot) x 2.45” and it would still be to narrow when coming from the plus and most of it would be a waste of space, just like the extra .52” on the X. By trying to make the X a happy medium between the 7 and 7+, Apple screwed up in my opinion. It’s great for the ones moving up from a 7 but sucks if you have the plus and like the size of the plus. Just my 2 cents. Oh, we just cancelled my wife’s X and I am returning mine this weekend because we perceive them to be too small as well. Long live the plus! Haha
You’re pretty spot on. Everyone wants to throw the specs out there, but usable space needs to be addressed. Most apps don’t and probably can’t ever use the screen on the X properly. Nothing is shot in that aspect ratio. It’s all just wasted space in landscape.

Reactions: dazzlingirl

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
You’re pretty spot on. Everyone wants to throw the specs out there, but usable space needs to be addressed. Most apps don’t and probably can’t ever use the screen on the X properly. Nothing is shot in that aspect ratio. It’s all just wasted space in landscape.

I have to ask, how many people actually use landscape? It sounds good in theory, and is what originally drove me to the 6S Plus, but I quickly found I never used it that way. Anecdotally, walking around, I cannot recall the last time I saw anyone using any phone in landscape. I have been hearing a lot about the width of the X and how it’s useless for landscape, and I would agree, but I guess I would question what percent that is relevant for.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
Definitely miss the 7 Plus useable screen real estate. The X is more narrow and can take a bit to get used to if you’re coming from a Plus.

I have 14 days to get a feel for the X, if it’s a no go, I’ll go to the 8 Plus until the X Plus comes out next year.

Everything else about the X is wonderful.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
So...I have a X im testing and I just took off this cheap case I had on it. Maybe my experience is bad because of the case. I better put it back on before I like the X and spent the money over my current 7 Plus. lol

justinTlME

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
I have to ask, how many people actually use landscape? It sounds good in theory, and is what originally drove me to the 6S Plus, but I quickly found I never used it that way. Anecdotally, walking around, I cannot recall the last time I saw anyone using any phone in landscape. I have been hearing a lot about the width of the X and how it’s useless for landscape, and I would agree, but I guess I would question what percent that is relevant for.

I mean, nearly every game I play is landscape only, and whenever I watch video it’s in landscape. Wasted space.

Reactions: PhillyGuy72 and ATC

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
I mean, nearly every game I play is landscape only, and whenever I watch video it’s in landscape. Wasted space.

Ah I forgot games! Good point. I understand video, but rarely watch video longer than a few minutes on my phone.

kawa636r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
Spain
Screen is not bigger.

you are too much limitated to understand
[doublepost=1510037855][/doublepost]
I’ll just leave this here. Lol.
this video is totally false, i can assure you

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Lisa Gade is getting better with her videos.

2:47 mark is interesting

You can zoom it but I prefer the original size. X's aspect ratio is so weird like the many phones with taller screens released this year that it will have pillar boxing.

Reactions: AintDutchNotMuch

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Excellent post and point.
I love my 8+ but TBH, I never use Landscape for Mail, Internet.. or really anything BUT videos. Heck, I don’t even edit photos in Landscape..

THIS is why I am tempted by the X. The reports that X battery life is within 10-15% of the 8+ is gravy.

Not sure if this will matter because if the X is not in-stock by 11/13 I am out of my 14 days. I am sure I could ask my local store to work with me and they may. I have a good relationship with them and their Lead Tech.. great people at the Jax Apple Store.

nbrokaw87

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Screen is not bigger.

Sure it’s taller and more narrow. It’s techinally bigger but it doesn’t feel bigger coming from a plus model. The phone felt cheap, fragile and didn’t find it imprsssive. Returned for an 8 Plus and I felt so happy to have that phone back lol. To each their own and I hope those that have the x will enjoy it. I just know moving forward I can’t have a “smaller” phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.