Finally i’m an 8plus again!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kawa636r, Nov 6, 2017.

1. iconiconicon, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

iconiconicon macrumors newbie

People who can't afford the X are insecure and attempting to justify an inferior phone with:
    • a smaller battery (capacity and life, as proven by independent tests)
    • smaller/lower-quality display (worse pixel density, lower contrast ratio, smaller size, past-gen LCD vs next-gen OLED tech)
    • previous-generation biometric tech
    • and antiquated design aesthetic (clunky, huge bezels, poor screen/frame ratio)​
    ... as a better device.

It happens.

2. zhandri macrumors 6502

the king of what? king of bezels? king of bricks? surely not the king of apple devices ;) maybe king of past technology. but i don't think that's a good thing

3. skylarn macrumors newbie

skylarn

Whoa. Unnecessary low blow. I can afford the x. I have the x. I still don’t know if I prefer it or not. I would prefer a blend of the two. I’m adjusting to certain aspects of the X but my biggest gripe right now is the horrendous screen glare.

4. whiteshadoww macrumors 6502

whiteshadoww

To be honest I really miss the size (actual phone size) of the Plus. I much (not even close) prefer the UX of the X with Face ID - amazing. The home button is so yesterday. I will perfect it while I wait (I hope) for the X Plus 6.5" screen with 16:9 in 2018.

Please Apple please! That would be my dream iPhone.

5. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 6502a

PhillyGuy72

Going from the 6+ to 8+ worked for me! Yeah, many say "same design, blah blah" but I love the feel of that design. Speed compared to the 6+ is lightning fast, and battery life...you said it. That is beyond impressive so far!

Now I did have a chance to really play around with this new X, about 15-20 min at Best Buy yesterday. It's NOT as horrific as I initially imagined - yes Im talking about that darn notch especially, To my surprise I actually didnt notice it after messing around with it. Navigating it felt nice...more like a new experience on an iPhone which I liked.

My fear was potential bugs with this..and that still applies especially today after seeing these reports with the cold weather affecting some phones, OLED green line, few other things.

Right now, I have zero regrets in getting the 8+, it's a very powerful impressive phone!

6. Newtons Apple, Nov 10, 2017

Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It was sarcasm, but you X people are so uptight defending your phone you can see past that! Going back and looking at your last posts you are in full X protection mode. LOL!

"As I have said in the past, BOTH devices are good and having choice is better"

Even the above statement incites hatred from the X owners.

It is like our politics!

7. Aydy macrumors regular

Aydy

Smart people “skip first version” impatient people take one for the team. I salute impatient folks.

8. skylarn macrumors newbie

skylarn

I have always been an impatient person and I’ve never been disappointed in the past. I can’t decide if I’m disappointed or not this time to be honest. Initially I was beyond disappointed but it’s growing on me. The more I use my X the clunkier my 7 plus feels. I tend to adapt quickly. I think I’ll give it a few days before making a decision.

9. jlp2979 macrumors 6502

**Typed from your iPhone SE.

10. Aydy macrumors regular

Aydy

Best thing is, they were on here in full on protective, defence mode of their “bezzelled” iphone only a few weeks ago. They straight up loved em iPhone 6s & 7’s. Funny that. ;)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    Hang tight. I’m sure you will grow to love it. My growing in to a new device usually is 1 or 2 weeks, then I’m golden. For me, I just know i need the plus version, whenever that happens, count me in.

11. Mojopin macrumors regular

Mojopin

had the X since launch spent a week with it, just got an 8+ and am much happier with it. In my case I have bad eyesight so the screen of the X didn't feel much different from my 6 (with display zoom) in terms of size with all the wasted space in the apps I use. Saved a good amount of $ and not locked in that crap NEXT plan, look forward to seeing the next X, hopefully it's bigger

12. jimmy_uk macrumors regular

jimmy_uk

Good stuff. At first I didn't see the point in the 8 models because of the price being so close to the X and the design being the same again. But now I see how its Apples way of giving more choice knowing that many would feel happier with the 8 and 8+ despite the X being the flagship.

13. Act3 macrumors 65816

I have to wonder why Apple even bothered to change the home button for the iPhone 7 and 8 models. That technology lasted 2 years.

14. jimmy_uk macrumors regular

jimmy_uk

Wasn't it to fit more tech in by removing the mechanical button? Also the new button is faster and more reliable.

15. Mojopin macrumors regular

Mojopin

the unlock is waaaay faster with the new haptic home vs the old one, and def quicker than FaceID I immediately found

16. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I think if Apple could have got finger ID working through the OLED screen, they would have used it rather than face ID. Apple's R&D tried very hard from what I heard.

Now users can buy either technology.

Enjoy!

17. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

Likely not true at all. I know it was reported but they bought primesense (likely for this purpose) in 2013. This was not an afterthought.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    I think there was just as much angst when the 6 and 6 plus came out. Everyone likes to be ‘right’.

18. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Actually that's not true. Craig Federighi stated that Face ID was always there first goal to have as their new primary source of security. Touch ID under the display was always Plan B, given that they did experiment with it. Once Face ID was fully functional after testing, they abandoned touch ID under the display all together.

https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/iphone_x_event_thoughts_and_observations

19. jlp2979 macrumors 6502

That. And also setting up the absurd price point of the X. The X should cost what the 8+ costs. The 8/8+ should cost what the 7/7+ cost. It's all about the cheddar for Timmy.

20. Zune55 macrumors 6502a

Last night I was comparing my 7+ with x and I find out that the overall is screen size including the ears on the x’s screen is bigger than the screen size of 7+

21. jlp2979 macrumors 6502

Not arguing with this, just asking. Why would anyone at Apple ever admit a mistake or failing to do something it set out to do. No one knows the truth except for Apple.

22. Relentless Power, Nov 10, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Because I don't have reason to believe that Craig Federighi would do an open interview and lie about it, especially since he was not obligated to even discuss Touch ID under the display to begin with. As secretive as Apple is, do you really believe that he would need to come out to the public and justify themselves to anyone about what they do behind the scenes? Not likely at all. Not given this company and overall How they value privacy.

Furthermore, it was never established that Apple "Failed" at implementing touch ID under the display according to the article:

"They stopped pursuing Touch ID under the display not because they couldn’t do it, but because they decided they didn’t need it."

Those saying that touch ID failed Under the display or was some rush job is complete nonsense. That's already been debunked.

23. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

Dunno why people are freaking out about the 8 Plus or X. I have both and they are both great phones.

24. jimmy_uk macrumors regular

jimmy_uk

But it works, the market will pay so he's doing the right thing for his business and shareholders.

25. cardfan macrumors 65816

Apple reads threads like these and smiles. Now you know why they released an iphone 8. Meanwhile, a month ago, you wouldn't have even considered getting one over an iphone 7.