Finally made the jump to 16GB of ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ljones, Jan 1, 2012.

1. ljones macrumors regular

After constantly finding myself low on ram, I just placed my order for the 16GB kit from Crucial. I hate to have to open her back up and risk stripping the screws, but I need the extra ram. Xcode has been eating crazy amounts of ram. With only a few apps open, i have only 117mb of my 8GB free.

Mad i didn't buy this ram last night, to apply the amount to the coming tax preparation. My next move is a SSD, and move my current drive to the DVD/CD bay.

2. Bossieman macrumors newbie

You can never go wrong with more RAM. I have maxed out my 8GB a long time ago. Mathematica, xcode, Spotify, FF and Chrome - crazy need for RAM.
    Im going 16GB soon.

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Why are you worried about stripping the screws? Just use the right size screw driver, and apply force directly downward.
    Otherwise, 16GB is a good amount and an SSD will certainly help with speed.

4. ljones thread starter macrumors regular

The screws seemed to be somewhat easy to distort, from what i recall when i inserted my 8GB of ram.

5. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

Then pay apple $100 labor to install it for you.:cool:

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Did this and never looked back. It is very nice to have the ability to keep both my Windows 7 and my Mac OS X all running at the same time, with multiple apps open on each. Because my accountant refuses to support QuickBooks for Mac, I am forced to use the Windows version.

7. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

Will they do this if it's not their RAM?

How about a SSD for an iMac, which would be a pain to install?

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple will not install 3rd party hardware, whether its RAM or an HDD or an SSD. Apple techs will only use Apple parts to do upgrades.

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Just find an AASP to do it. Will also probably be cheaper.

10. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

An apple authorized retailer will. One here in town had done it for a friend.

11. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

just an fyi the new 2011 MBP will go up to 32GB RAM so you can upgrade further :D

12. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

So does that mean 64GB for the iMac?

13. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

WOW-- I just learned that it will go to 16 but now 32?? I dont think so according to what I have researched

14. 808? macrumors 6502a

RAM is like pixels, you can never have enough of either!

15. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I wish hehe

----------

http://ark.intel.com/products/52227/Intel-Core-i7-2820QM-Processor-(8M-Cache-2_30-GHz)

Read under the Max memory.
    The recently found out that early 2011 models can handle 32GB RAM.
    But of course, we all know that we can buy a new Mac with that price XP

16. chilady1 macrumors member

chilady1

So I am little confused and perhaps someone can help me out. As a new MBP 13 owner of all of a week, my plan was to upgrade to 8GB - but from what I am reading on this thread it seems like I could go to 16GB.

I guess the question I have is what is the max RAM I can upgrade this MBP? Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks for all responses.;)

17. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Not all, so do your research carefully.

18. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

yes anything that is over 2.2GHz i7.
    No 13in, no 2.0GHz i7.

19. thundersteele macrumors 68030

honestly we don't know. It seems likely that the 27XXqm and 28XXqm equipped MBPs will be able to handle 32 GB Ram, but until such ram is available we don't know whether the logic board supports it and if it runs stable.

20. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Is there even 16 GB sticks available for the 2011 MBP? The highest I have seen is 8 GB.

21. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I have a 2010 MBP 17" with an i5 2.53ghz processor. I have pretty much maxed it out to 8GB. But, would I it if I can install more. I use Aperture, Photoshop, Lightroom concurrently in addition to other of my standard apps. When I first restart I'll only have a couple hundred free with no apps open, once I open several and the apps I need it maxes out and starts creating a swap file that just keeps getting bigger. Another reason of SSD upgrade.

Anyway, I really wish that it was possible to have my mac be able to recognize 8GB of RAM per slot. Every where I've read pretty much says this. So the swap file created on a SSD is the only other option I can go. Unless, there is something else.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Technically you can, that is over buying. I don't need 16gb of ram, so if I maxed out my computer with 16gb it would be a waste of money since the system really won't use it based on my usage.

23. ljones thread starter macrumors regular

The ram is in but 3 screws will not sit properly. All but the front far right, front 2nd from the left and the middle left are seated.

Any ideas on this? I have my work MBP, and its clear that the screws are off. If i try to force them to go a certain way, they don't take. The seam is tight, no movement.

24. iforbes macrumors 6502

There are three screws that are longer than the rest. Maybe you are trying to put them in the wrong spots?

There is a picture at this link...you might have to refresh if it doesn't show the first time.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1270#link1

25. Higney85 macrumors newbie

They are angled. When you put them in to seat them, the head will be tilted a bit towards the edge (as in the head will be leaning away from the overall Mac). Turn counter-clockwise slowly until you feel the head seat, then drive me home clockwise.

If you look at the cover you can see that the front lip tucks back a little.