Finally made the jump to 16GB of ram

ljones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
After constantly finding myself low on ram, I just placed my order for the 16GB kit from Crucial. I hate to have to open her back up and risk stripping the screws, but I need the extra ram. Xcode has been eating crazy amounts of ram. With only a few apps open, i have only 117mb of my 8GB free.

Mad i didn't buy this ram last night, to apply the amount to the coming tax preparation. My next move is a SSD, and move my current drive to the DVD/CD bay.

Bossieman

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
You can never go wrong with more RAM. I have maxed out my 8GB a long time ago. Mathematica, xcode, Spotify, FF and Chrome - crazy need for RAM.
Im going 16GB soon.

Comment

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Why are you worried about stripping the screws? Just use the right size screw driver, and apply force directly downward.
Otherwise, 16GB is a good amount and an SSD will certainly help with speed.

Comment

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Did this and never looked back. It is very nice to have the ability to keep both my Windows 7 and my Mac OS X all running at the same time, with multiple apps open on each. Because my accountant refuses to support QuickBooks for Mac, I am forced to use the Windows version.

Comment

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Comment

chilady1

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2011
Northeast
So I am little confused and perhaps someone can help me out. As a new MBP 13 owner of all of a week, my plan was to upgrade to 8GB - but from what I am reading on this thread it seems like I could go to 16GB.

I guess the question I have is what is the max RAM I can upgrade this MBP? Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks for all responses.;)

Comment

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
yes anything that is over 2.2GHz i7.
No 13in, no 2.0GHz i7.
honestly we don't know. It seems likely that the 27XXqm and 28XXqm equipped MBPs will be able to handle 32 GB Ram, but until such ram is available we don't know whether the logic board supports it and if it runs stable.

Comment

Titanium81

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2011
Is there even 16 GB sticks available for the 2011 MBP? The highest I have seen is 8 GB.

Comment

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I have a 2010 MBP 17" with an i5 2.53ghz processor. I have pretty much maxed it out to 8GB. But, would I it if I can install more. I use Aperture, Photoshop, Lightroom concurrently in addition to other of my standard apps. When I first restart I'll only have a couple hundred free with no apps open, once I open several and the apps I need it maxes out and starts creating a swap file that just keeps getting bigger. Another reason of SSD upgrade.

Anyway, I really wish that it was possible to have my mac be able to recognize 8GB of RAM per slot. Every where I've read pretty much says this. So the swap file created on a SSD is the only other option I can go. Unless, there is something else.

Comment

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
You can never go wrong with more RAM.
Technically you can, that is over buying. I don't need 16gb of ram, so if I maxed out my computer with 16gb it would be a waste of money since the system really won't use it based on my usage.

Comment

ljones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The ram is in but 3 screws will not sit properly. All but the front far right, front 2nd from the left and the middle left are seated.

Any ideas on this? I have my work MBP, and its clear that the screws are off. If i try to force them to go a certain way, they don't take. The seam is tight, no movement.

Comment

Higney85

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2011
The ram is in but 3 screws will not sit properly. All but the front far right, front 2nd from the left and the middle left are seated.

Any ideas on this? I have my work MBP, and its clear that the screws are off. If i try to force them to go a certain way, they don't take. The seam is tight, no movement.
They are angled. When you put them in to seat them, the head will be tilted a bit towards the edge (as in the head will be leaning away from the overall Mac). Turn counter-clockwise slowly until you feel the head seat, then drive me home clockwise.

If you look at the cover you can see that the front lip tucks back a little.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.