FInally....NCAA rule changes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dukebound85, Apr 15, 2014.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

2. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

So they will be taxed on this compensation as well as any scholarship they receive as it is all part of their compensation package???

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Are they taxed on the scholarship if the college is picking up the tab. They don't make any money to be taxed on. They are not allowed per NCAA rules to earn anything. They are basically slaves to the system.

4. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

There should be improvements to the system....no doubt. Athletes should get....

1.) Lifetime medical assistance for any injuries resulting while playing collegiate sports.

2.) Double their stipends. Football players at UGA get ~$75 a week in stipend. That should increase to $150

3.) Scholarships should be guaranteed for 4 years and should leave no room for out of pocket expenses for the athlete.

4.) Coaches should be required to sit out one full year if they plan to leave their current school for another before the expiration of their contract. If a college football coach wants to leave for the NFL, then more power to him. But Nick Saban can't pick up and leave Alabama for USC if he still has time left on his deal without sitting out one full calendar year.

But they, under no circumstance, should receive "paychecks" and be treated as employees, be able to market their likeness, or do anything that brings them in additional income on top of what they receive currently and laid out in the above without forfeiting their amateurism.

5. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Completely disagree with both.

3.) Scholarships should be earned and renewed annually. That's the way it's been when I competed and is today. If an athlete stops performing or raises their level the school should be able to initiate, increase, eliminate or reduce the scholarship or even reapportion the scholarships across the team as necessary.

4.) A coach and school should be able to negotiate the terms of their contract as they see fit. A coach who negotiates an escape clause should be able to exercise it. The school can accept or reject the terms.

6. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

A kid signs up to play for a coach and the coach can leave at any point penalty free yet if the kid wants to transfer to another school for whatever reason he has to sit out a year (and that's if the school actually releases him....if they don't he has to sit out 2). Tell me how that is anywhere in the ballpark of right?

7. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

Yea that just happened with Tennessee's Basketball coach..

8. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Huh ?

"College"-Football (well actually "Football", but thats another topic :p) is a billion $ enterprise just like the Olympics, making it appear as something else only help a bunch of #### to rip of even more $ on the backs of those actually competing.

IMO this should just be redesigned as a under-21 PRO league completly seperate from any schools who shouldn't have their hand in such buissnes anyways.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I'd rather they just pay the players and separate the NCAA from the colleges completely. A good amount of the regular football and basketball players would fail out if they took normal classes. My school had tutors taking the exams for the players so that they were eligible in those few required courses that they couldn't skate around.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Fine, as long as the NCAA is not allowed to market players likenesses or make money off of them. The NCAA is the most corrupt organization in the country. They are raking in billions annually and these players that are making them money are struggling just to eat.

11. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Your premise is incorrect. An athlete signs with the school not a coach. The LOI even has the language warning the prep. Any scholarshiped athlete that's gone through the process knows that.

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

If a kid on scholarship is struggling to eat it is by his or her own choosing.

As far as marketing players to promote the sports.....those scholarships don't pay themselves.

I realize how it is. I'm more pointing towards how it should be.

13. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Agreed here. This is the least of the NCAAs problems. Coaches leaving is a fact of life. If a player wants to transfer, fine, but they should have to sit out a year. A player takes that risk when he signs.

14. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

And I agree with you as well. And, as I'm certain you know, if an athlete wants to transfer and gets a release they don't even have to sit out...at least at D1. Getting a release is dicey though and often will be conditioned.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

This is untrue. They're allowed to have jobs, but they can be closely scrutinized to make sure they're actually working and receiving compensation commensurate with the work they're doing.

16. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

True. Many of us worked as clinicians at camps. But there's a bunch of stupid things that boosters try to get away with and some athletes get caught up in it. And competing in the offseason presents issues if there's any placement awards. Athletes need to know what they're doing.

17. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Once they unionize all the universities, do you think there will be salaries for the players? Will college ball become like the pros with contracts? Will it damage the sport? Do you think any schools will opt to end their programs?

What about the teams from our military academies? The US Military Academy doesn't charge tuition. Cadets there are paid a salary. Will they be able to unionize?

18. malman89 macrumors 68000

All of these changes seem reasonable to me, except I think #4 is unlikely.

Except with #3, if a kid is injured, they can yank his scholarship. The student-athlete should not only have medical coverage from the university, but s/he should be guaranteed that scholarship for being injured 'on the job.'

#4 more likely is that any recruit under a coach who leaves voluntarily should be granted immediate release from their commitment and be able to immediately transfer and play for another team.

Players, especially in a non-football sport, come more for the coach first and then the university. Whether it's their system, their history of developing pro players, or just the recruiting relationship, it's the coach that matters.

19. Gutwrench, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014

Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

As far as injury is concerned I assume you mean the scholarship could be reduced or even revoked the subsequent year. Not the same year. An athlete should carefully read the language around injuries as to their rights. An injury in the off season while participating in a non approved event may (likely will) change their rights as opposed to in season injury in the performance of their sport.

I've seen many injured guys keep their scholarship as they rehab. I've also seen coaches ask athletes to rework their scholarship to offer a prep a better deal. It's not an uncommon practice in a fringe sport where the whole team is allowed 9.9 scholarships unlike football's 1 billion scholarship cap. I don't agree with giving a current athlete a guaranteed unconditional release for a coach leaving. I understand the sentiment but the school and program are making an investment. That doesn't mean I don't recognize the investment the athlete makes.

I went to a school 1st for the coach and 2nd for the program and 3rd fir the school. But I knew if the coach left its get dicey. In my experience a prep with LOI will likely be released. A current athlete is in no way guaranteed a release. And I've seen many denied release on many occasions. I've also saw restricted or conditioned releases. For example a B10 coach transfers and an athlete may be offered a full red lease to a non B10 school.

Sorry for typos I'm on the run.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Of course they come for the coach, he is the one recruiting them. Most kids on scholarship are hand chosen by the coaches.

----------

No way these schools end their programs, they bring in way to much money. They don't want the kids to unionize because that will cut into their bottom line.

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

About time the wheels are starting to roll on this... the NCAA is the biggest scam going. They have all these "student" athletes risking life and limb so these colleges can rake in millions and millions of dollars.

That Northwestern decision allowing them to Unionize is huge. About time we end the scam that is D1 "college" sports. You know it's a joke when you have basketball players who go to a school for one year, take a semester of basket weaving and philosophy, and then bail out after one year as soon as they are eligible for the NBA. What the hell is the point of even going to "school"? They sure as hell aren't there for the education. It's just a huge farce.

22. jdechko macrumors 68040

You're correct, the money has to come from somewhere. It's a tough middle ground to find, though. Large football programs, like the one you support (as an alumni of the rival in-state school, I can't bring myself to say the name ;)) make a lot of money from their football programs, almost certainly more than they pay out to those involved (players, coaches & staff).

It's a really corrupt system, though, and it's going to either take a lot of time or a major collapse of the current system to bring about the necessary changes.

23. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Agreed. UGA makes a boatload off football, as do most other "BCS" schools. The problem we run into is that for many colleges football and mens basketball are the only revenue sports. The rest (at UGA that includes M Baseball, W Basketball, M&W Cross Country, W Equestrian, M&W Golf, W Gymnastics, W Soccer, W Softball, M&W Swimming/Diving, M&W Tennis, M&W Track & Field, and W Volleyball) are all money losers. Revenues are high for a lot of schools because of TV contracts the conferences have signed, but not many have high profits or cash reserves.

----------

That isn't a NCAA deal, that's something that was collectively bargained by the NBA and the NBAPA. The problem for basketball and football players is that there is no minor league system like baseball players have. So the only option for them is either nothing (football players), go pro overseas (basketball players) or go to college.

To me baseball has the best system in place. You have the option out of high school to enter the draft and forego college. If you get drafted you go right into the minors and start earning a check. If you decide to go to college though you have to stay there at least 3 years. To me that's the best middle ground for both the players and the schools, because nobody really likes the one and done rule that is in place for basketball players now.

24. jdechko macrumors 68040

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns