Finally, plastic is back! And why its a good thing!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by student_trap, Sep 12, 2013.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Just a quick point of interest really:

I'm seriously glad that plastic is again back on apple's radar.

It was the plastic macs and iPods that got me into the mac in the first place, I always thought that there was a certain cool style to the plastic products (especially the glorious iMac G4, clamshell ibooks and early iPods).

I had feared that apple may have kept on the trend of increasingly thin and professional looking products. And quite frankly the "give 'em more of the same" attitude towards products was getting quite dull.

These new plastic iphones, alongside iOS7, seem to me to be a return to form for apple, finally something different to look at.

Put me down for 2, one in white, and one in blue!

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Too many people go crazy over plastic vs aluminum. Too me it's more about what it can do vs how it looks.

I personally wouldn't care even if the 5S was plastic as well as long as the internals stayed the same.

Then again though it would be hard to imagine buying a macbook air if it was made of plastic, go figure :rolleyes:

Guess I'm one of the crazies.

3. DannyDrama macrumors regular

Glass and metal feel much more alive in the hand. I picked up my S3 and it felt like a lump of plastic and always at room temperature. The I5 feels either hot or cold, it's more angular and in my opinion, much better looking. It just feels awesome. Plastic, not so much.

If I spend £600 on a device, I better be able to feel where my cash went.

4. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

I don't actually disagree with you, indeed much of the plastic that is used in modern tech is horrendous. But there is plastic, and then there is plastic.

My iPhone 3GS felt excellent, incredibly solid and beautifully contoured.

In addition I actually own a G3 iMac, G3 iBook and G4 Powermac, and the plastics used in those were also better quality.

My point is more that if you always move towards thinner and more refined, then eventually your refinements become less dramatic. While I like having a more refined version in the line, its also nice to have abit more of a fun device.

Also note though, that the 5C is a lot less fussy in design. Its a more minimalist design that I think fits the new OS very well :)

5. DannyDrama macrumors regular

I never owned an OG iPhone so I have no idea about that, but well said good sir.

6. Mrbobb, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013

Mrbobb macrumors 601

The plastic of yesteryears and 5c plastic don't look the same.

The plastic of the iPod Classic, the iMac G3 etc were color underneath and a layer of translucent clear on top and made the plastic look 3D and translucent. 5C's plastic look like somebody dropped a pale of paint on them. No like.

And the colors. Jobs described the iMac color schemes as, Something You Want to Lick 'em. 5C's colors more like pepto-bismol.