Financial advice - sell IP6 and buy IP7+ or wait another year? (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by parajba, Sep 18, 2016.

  1. parajba macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2008
    #1
    Hi all,

    I would need some advice.

    I have a IP6 64GB space grey in mint conditions bought on launch day (3 years ago), original box, headphones etc. No scratches on screen or body. I am paranoid yep. Everything works and looks great.

    My original plan was to keep it for another year and replace it with next year's iPhone because I found this year's update a bit underwhelming (and because my IP6 still works fabulously).

    But I am now thinking that I could replace it with this year's model and then again with next year's if it proves to be that great. To complicate things I would be going for the Plus model with bigger screen.

    I am based in the UK and will use eBay for the sale.

    From a pure financial perspective, and without knowing how much next year's model will cost (but costs are quite predictable in these days), can somebody who does this regularly explain the £££ impact of replacing the phone this year and also next year? The admin hassle will be greater for sure, but I am starting to think that the financial loss (of replacing 2 phones in 2 years) might not be that big (compared to 1 single change) as the phone will be older and might fetch less money.

    For example I would be willing to do it if the financial cost is a mere £100 in total and enjoy the latest tech more frequently.

    Any guidance appreciated!
    Thanks!
     
  2. m4cf4g macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2012
    #2
    You're late. Sold my iP6 64GB a few weeks ago for 450€ and will be getting iP7+.
     
  3. sohilpandya macrumors member

    sohilpandya

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2013
    Location:
    London
    #3
    I was in the same boat as you, I had the 6 Plus 128 GB, but I used it in the worst ways possible, scratches on the back, dropped multiple times etc. etc. (screen was still pristine).

    My number 1 reason for selling was the speed. having seen speed tests where the 6s is already faster than note 7, I was kind of sold on getting the latest gen iPhone. You may feel that the update is underwhelming, but actually, it's the 3rd generation for this style, that means every little thing that was annoying/buggy about the 6 has been fixed in this version of 7.

    So at the moment, I'm waking up at 6am trying to find stock of the new phone, but if you feel that the 6 after updating to iOS 10 is still OK for you, then wait it out a year. you'll still get around 150 for it next year for sure. but then you would've had the phone for a long time.

    Hope this ramble helps.
     

Share This Page